Note changes lost when using web client!

Hello all 

I am using Chrome(80.0.3987.149 (Official Build))  to do my notes, I moved from mu note to another window for 3 minutes, then came back to my note and:

1) changes /I made within the last 25 minutes are gone, LOST!  the notes seemed to revert to its old state  

2) one image that was at the bottom of the page is now inside a table (cell where I wrote simple text in the last 25 minutes) 

It is almost as if someone messed up with this note, but it does not seem like I can look at the history of events if the note was created from a browser. 

Has anyone seen this strange behaviour when using the browser? loosing note changes (out of nowhere) or suddenly seeing changes you did not make???

Does anyone now how to debug/look at the versions/history of events for a note when using the web client? is that possible? 

Thanks very much indeed 

A

• Level 5*

Hi.  Typing into any browser window - including this Forum - is never without risk,  because rather than dealing direct with an installed app which is saving your input to the local hard drive,  you're relying on another application entirely - the browser window - to keep your work safe until it can be sent back to the server (synced) into storage.  If anything disturbs your system - internet traffic, the network link, another busy web page - you could get anomalous results or lose data.  I've never heard of such a major transformation as the one you experienced  however.  Evernote doesn't format or change note content,  it simply (in an ideal situation) stores the input you provide.  Unfortunately if something goes wrong there is,  by definition,  no way to see a history of the changes / losses.  If this issue arises again you might consider using a local app to draft your notes,  and then store the output file (a PDF or DOCX or whatever) as a note attachment.  That way you have an instant local backup of your work,  and your note can hold as many version history copies as you require.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, AMRL said:

Has anyone seen this strange behaviour when using the browser?

Check to be sure you are not using the newest version of the EN web client.  It is not feature complete and has known issues.  You can determine this by clicking on the drop down next to your user name.  If you see this panel click on Switch to older version of Evernote and see if that helps.

ScreenClip.png.f3af9630a3d2b9ab19744167461fcc3e.png

Thanks for feedback. These days I basically live on web apps for work and personal productivity stuff, and I am sure a ton of people out there do the same. 
I cannot imagine Google/Salesforce/NetSuite (or similar) saying you cannot relay on the web app, you are better off installing an app in your PC.

I am conscious there will always be glitches/hiccups, and I embrace that, if I loose 5 minutes of work once or twice in 5 years it is not a big deal(even better if a bug-report can be created on the spot). If I see strange/inconsistent  behaviour (a few times in one year) that cannot be investigated and I lose 25 minutes work each time, that is very scary, no idea if it is a bug, security issue etc and no apparent way to debug/trace/recover. 

BTW I got a note called "Conflict <Original note title>" and later it was magically renamed "Original note title" so I ended up with 2 notes called the same, one of them is an inconsistent old version within the 25 minutes updates that strangely disappear. What worries me the most is the inability to investigate what happened and the possibility of it happening again, wondering how much of a problem this may be for other users. 
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

The new web client is a testing ground for things to come. It is great working with the new editor, but it is still a beta.  In general all browser based software happens in an interaction between the „local“ status in the browser window, and what is synced with the server. It helps to close the note from time to time, which will refresh the browser session and save everything not yet synced.

If you need that extra percentage of stability, switch to the „classical“ version as described above.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, AMRL said:

I cannot imagine Google/Salesforce/NetSuite (or similar) saying you cannot relay on the web app

EN didn't specifically say this.  Somehow a half baked beta became the default for new users.  A year ago maybe???  Was a mystery to me at the time and still is.  Only logic I've heard is maybe it had something to do with getting exposure to the new editor. 

Still doesn't make sense to me, too much hair on the new version and it isn't feature complete relative to what one expects based upon the literature.  IAC, the "previous" version seems to work well, the few times I use it a month.  I'm mostly desktop version, faster and far more productive than the web for me.  FWIW.