Support remarkable touch pad with evernote

brando90

Idea

67 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, brando90 said:

Is it supported by evernote? Will my notes be uploaded to evernote?

I looked briefly at the specs for this product and I see no Evernote integration 

• Level 5

When reading the specs I found the following text. As I read it,  the device will not sync anywhere but the own, proprietary cloud servers. You can then send the content to a PC or Mac, and from there probably & somehow into EN. To me it does not sound easy.

My solution for handwritten note taking is an iPad with Pencil and GoodNotes 5 app. I can export notes taken there as pdf and share them directly into EN. They carry the OCR-information, which means they are fully searchable in EN.

Personal opinion: A standard iPad plus a pencil plus a handwriting notes app will not be much more expensive than the „Remarkable“ device, but more versatile, and there is no risk of a lock-in if the provider fails.

From the Remarkable web site, FAQs:l

Can I access my content on reMarkable from my computer or smartphone?
All content is synced via our cloud service across all devices that have a reMarkable app installed. This includes smartphones and computers, as well as your reMarkable device.

We currently offer our cloud service free of charge.

• Like 1

Just got reMarkable 2, great machine to focus but disappointed not to find a possible connection in this thread. Please add this feature even if limited sync. Frankly, taking notes in a meeting much faster in EN than reMarkable. Thx

I am not technology minded (a sailboat rigger) but I think I have taken the first step in getting the world most expensive paper to my Evernote.  Once I have completed my note , PFD, whatever, I then email it to special my Evernote e-mail address that everyone gets when the get the Evernote account.  This I then can open in my inbox notebook in Evernote which I created a while ago (can’t remember how but if any one is interested I sure I could find out again).  From here I can move it to my relevant notebook (say ‘daily planner).  This is very simple to do and does note take long.  If I can do it, anyone can.  This allow me to look it up on my mobile in Evernote  where-ever I am. Once there however, I can only read it, (which is fine for my need), but I  can not edit it. This would would be fantastic to be able to.  I am sure this must be doable  if someone can please take this to the next step.

The reMarkable 2 is great and I am told on good authority that  cognitively for planing and thinking, it is far superior to typing it out.   So I think it is worth the effort to Evernote and all you techies out there.  Keep me up to date.

• Like 1
On 3/7/2021 at 7:26 PM, bosunys@hotmail.com said:

I am not technology minded (a sailboat rigger) but I think I have taken the first step in getting the world most expensive paper to my Evernote.  Once I have completed my note , PFD, whatever, I then email it to special my Evernote e-mail address that everyone gets when the get the Evernote account.  This I then can open in my inbox notebook in Evernote which I created a while ago (can’t remember how but if any one is interested I sure I could find out again).  From here I can move it to my relevant notebook (say ‘daily planner).  This is very simple to do and does note take long.  If I can do it, anyone can.  This allow me to look it up on my mobile in Evernote  where-ever I am. Once there however, I can only read it, (which is fine for my need), but I  can not edit it. This would would be fantastic to be able to.  I am sure this must be doable  if someone can please take this to the next step.

The reMarkable 2 is great and I am told on good authority that  cognitively for planing and thinking, it is far superior to typing it out.   So I think it is worth the effort to Evernote and all you techies out there.  Keep me up to date.

I use the RM2 with EN on a daily basis and the integration is acceptable for me.  I email both the handwritten notes and OCR'd notes to EN with 2 clicks. It's not hard. 

On 1/23/2021 at 12:20 PM, FoggyPhill said:

I really want the remarkable2, but without OCR/searchable handwritten text, what’s the use? I want to be able to search my notes. If remarkable2  could integrate with Evernote that would be the killer app.

RM2 DOES have OCR.  Then you simply email the OCR and/or handwritten notes to your personal EN email address.  Not hard. 

2 hours ago, RobD said:

RM2 DOES have OCR.  Then you simply email the OCR and/or handwritten notes to your personal EN email address.  Not hard. 

Not hard, but not helpful. We're talking about an integration, i.e. efficiency. The OCR option is not ideal at all, as it often requires a lot of time in corrections. We're asking for the ability to have notes in both places without the fuss. THAT's not hard. This is not a difficult concept.

4 minutes ago, RadHaus said:

Not hard, but not helpful. We're talking about an integration, i.e. efficiency. The OCR option is not ideal at all, as it often requires a lot of time in corrections. We're asking for the ability to have notes in both places without the fuss. THAT's not hard. This is not a difficult concept.

lol, it's one click

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, RobD said:

lol, it's one click

No, it's not. It's a pain in the ass, especially when OCR mangles one's writing. Otherwise, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Yes, reMarkable's OCR is dodgy.  However, if you upload a reMarkable note into Evernote AS A PDF via emailing it from the tablet to your private evernote email address, Evernote's handwriting recognition of PDF notes is pretty good.  You CAN search for notes that have a handwritten word on the document and it WILL return pretty accurate results (depending on the quality of your handwriting, I suppose).  But I have searched for words I am pretty sure are in my note (e.g., someone's name, a date, a project name, etc.) and then later searched in Evernote and the note pops up... in my original handwriting, but still, I found what I was looking for.

I have started adding keywords for searching at the bottom of my reMarkable notes so I have a better chance of finding what I'm looking for later on.

Is there an alternative? The old Evernote notetaking app was decent. Not great, but 1000x better than Sketch that they just incorporated into a recent EverNote Update. Evernote as a handwriting note app on a tablet is now useless. Hence my interest in a Remarkable. From what I read, integration with EverNote is not feasible.

Is there another handwriting notes app/hardware that works well with EverNote? 

Thanks @Sholzy, I looked on the Android Store and there is no Penultimate there. I did see some alternatives like OneNote and might try that. It would have just been easier if EverNote had not replaced something that worked well for notes with something designed for drawings that is good for EverDrawing.

I would love it if the Remarkable folks would loosen up on the impulse to try and control the data.  Their hardware looks really nice, but I don’t want a kludgy interface with Evernote.  A back end integration to use the Remarkable pad with Evernote data would be killer.  Maybe one of the companies could buy the other and make it happen.

• Like 1

I have tried emailing remarkable notes to Evernote, but they are not found when searching a word I have written in the note.   I have made sure the word I searched for was clearly written and legible.    It seems like Evernote is not doing OCR on these emailed notes.  I am strictly a MAC and IOS user.  Is there a setting or something I need to do, for Evernote to OCR the emailed PDF note?

19 hours ago, Jeffsky said:

I have tried emailing remarkable notes to Evernote, but they are not found when searching a word I have written in the note.   I have made sure the word I searched for was clearly written and legible.    It seems like Evernote is not doing OCR on these emailed notes.  I am strictly a MAC and IOS user.  Is there a setting or something I need to do, for Evernote to OCR the emailed PDF note?

Are you emailing the OCR'd text or as a PDF? 

2 minutes ago, Jeffsky said:

Are you emailing the OCR'd text or as a PDF

I am emailing it as a PDF.   Shouldn’t Evernote do the OCR?

When sending your notes from RM2, you have the option to OCR or send as your original handwritten notes. I think you can send as both as well if I recall. 

9 hours ago, danielsinapub said:

I'm genuinely surprised this hasn't happened already; I've gone to buy the Remarkable 2 a couple of times but what always puts me off is the lack of Evernote integration. But who's fault is it? Evernote or Remarkable...?

Too small a customer base for Evernote to care.   And Remarkable doesn’t seem to think their product needs to sync with 3rd party apps, which is a mistake.  

• Confused 1
Just now, Jeffsky said:

Too small a customer base for Evernote to care.   And Remarkable doesn’t seem to think their product needs to sync with 3rd party apps, which is a mistake.  

Well do as I do and simply email your RM2 notes to your custom EN email address.  It's a matter of 2 clicks. 

1 minute ago, RobD said:

When sending your notes from RM2, you have the option to OCR or send as your original handwritten notes. I think you can send as both as well if I recall. 

I want my notes to remain handwritten, with the ability to search them in Evernote.    Converting to text and sending to Evernote defeats the purpose of having handwritten notes and then I have a bunch of editing to do.  

2 minutes ago, RobD said:

Well do as I do and simply email your RM2 notes to your custom EN email address.  It's a matter of 2 clicks. 

I have done that.  But when I do a search in Evernote, my notes do not come up.  

To be clear, I have written words clearly in RM2.   Then I Email the note to my personal Evernote email address.   The note is now visible in Evernote.   I then try to search a word that is written neatly in the note, and the note does not come up in the search.  

Rob, i appreciate your comments, but you are missing the point.  I have 500 pages of handwritten notes.  I want to find the page with maybe someone’s name, and review my notes from this meeting with this person.  I should be able to search the persons name and it should be found in an evernote search.   Understand?

Hi Jeffsky... The Evernote feature that goes through PDF's with handwriting or typed text and create a search index is a long-standing feature that predates RM2 by years.  This is the "search handwriting" feature (https://evernote.com/features/search-handwriting)

I, too, have hundreds of handwritten note pages in Evernote and when I want to look for those where I've written "Janice" or "budget", all I do is a general search in Evernote for Janice or budget and ALL of the notes I've uploaded where I've written those words pop up in the search results.  I believe this is exactly what you are wanting to happen.

For years, I uploaded handwritten notes from a paper spiral binder via the "import from camera" tool in the iOS app.  Evernote took the photo and stored it as a PDF.  With RM2, I have to send the note/notebook/partial notebook using the export tool and mail it to my unique Evernote email address.  And after 2 or 3 days, that note has been indexed for search and all of the notes I've ever written Janice on will show up.  It took 2 to 3 days with the camera upload as well.

Evernote does NOT, however, convert the PDF to OCR text.  Nor does it have to.  The search results simply show the PDF of my original handwritten notes that contains that word. Again, this is what I think you are looking for.

I think I mentioned above that if it can't read my handwriting because I've been particularly sloppy, it can't index the search very accurately, lol... so when I can't even read my own writing, I carefully write names and topics found in that note somewhere on the page so that it will pick up in the search indexing.  But Evernote is very good and even finds most of my words - even those written in cursive.

If this feature is not working for you, then I think it's an Evernote issue, not a RM2 issue.  You may need to escalate the matter within Evernote Tech Support because it should be working. 

I hope you can get this ironed out because it really is one of those features that makes Evernote indispensable to me and I suspect it will for you, too.  It's a very elegant solution to the situation you are describing.  Best of luck...

Ron

7 hours ago, rschae4 said:

Hi Jeffsky... The Evernote feature that goes through PDF's with handwriting or typed text and create a search index is a long-standing feature that predates RM2 by years.  This is the "search handwriting" feature (https://evernote.com/features/search-handwriting)

I, too, have hundreds of handwritten note pages in Evernote and when I want to look for those where I've written "Janice" or "budget", all I do is a general search in Evernote for Janice or budget and ALL of the notes I've uploaded where I've written those words pop up in the search results.  I believe this is exactly what you are wanting to happen.

For years, I uploaded handwritten notes from a paper spiral binder via the "import from camera" tool in the iOS app.  Evernote took the photo and stored it as a PDF.  With RM2, I have to send the note/notebook/partial notebook using the export tool and mail it to my unique Evernote email address.  And after 2 or 3 days, that note has been indexed for search and all of the notes I've ever written Janice on will show up.  It took 2 to 3 days with the camera upload as well.

Evernote does NOT, however, convert the PDF to OCR text.  Nor does it have to.  The search results simply show the PDF of my original handwritten notes that contains that word. Again, this is what I think you are looking for.

I think I mentioned above that if it can't read my handwriting because I've been particularly sloppy, it can't index the search very accurately, lol... so when I can't even read my own writing, I carefully write names and topics found in that note somewhere on the page so that it will pick up in the search indexing.  But Evernote is very good and even finds most of my words - even those written in cursive.

If this feature is not working for you, then I think it's an Evernote issue, not a RM2 issue.  You may need to escalate the matter within Evernote Tech Support because it should be working. 

I hope you can get this ironed out because it really is one of those features that makes Evernote indispensable to me and I suspect it will for you, too.  It's a very elegant solution to the situation you are describing.  Best of luck...

Ron

Ron,

Spot on!   What you have done with your handwritten notes, is exactly what I have done too.  I have no want to convert to text and loose probably 25% of my note due to sloppy handwriting.  Exactly like you i try to write some words neater knowing they will be good search terms.   However, I did not think it took multiple days for the indexing to occur.  Like you, the evernote’s search is what has kept me an Evernote customer since 2011. 

I will wait a few days and try a search again.  If it does not work, i will escalate. How do I submit an issue to evernote? 

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response!

Jeff

On 4/13/2021 at 5:47 AM, rschae4 said:

This is interesting to me - I haven't yet purchased RM2 because I was concerned that my notes wouldn't sync properly or get indexed by Evernote, but it sounds like it's working for you? I've never emailed in a note to my EN account, but I regularly scan notes within the Android app and usually (sloppy handwriting aside) it can find my notes really well.

If this works by emailing in directly from the RM2 it could well be something for me to consider once more...

(Although I still think it's hugely shortsighted of RM2 to not think they should integrate better with third party apps.)

1 hour ago, danielsinapub said:

This is interesting to me - I haven't yet purchased RM2 because I was concerned that my notes wouldn't sync properly or get indexed by Evernote, but it sounds like it's working for you? I've never emailed in a note to my EN account, but I regularly scan notes within the Android app and usually (sloppy handwriting aside) it can find my notes really well.

If this works by emailing in directly from the RM2 it could well be something for me to consider once more...

(Although I still think it's hugely shortsighted of RM2 to not think they should integrate better with third party apps.)

From a writing experience, the RM2 is the most paper like e-writing device experience on the market.  It is also aesthetically a good looking thin device.    I agree they need to open their eyes and minds to syncing with 3rd party apps, considering this is what we actually do with our handwritten notes and other electronic writing tool (i.e. Livescribe).  All the other requests they receive hourly are asking them to create a tablet, and that is definitely not what their device is.  For those folks, the RM2 is not for them and they need to get over it.    

If I can get the Evernote search working with emailed docs, the RM2 will become my one and only note taking paper or electronic device.  BUT, syncing truly turns it into a winner for those folks understanding it is an electronic notebook, with a few useful features!  

• Like 2

What is the status of emailing the handwritten note PDF from the remarkale 2 and the search function (ocr in EN)? I had a neo pen however they changed the app and it is worthless. I am thinking of buy the remarkable?

Also look at the Boox e-ink devices if you want a note taker. They have more features at lower cost than Remarkable, and have their own handwriting conversion that you could then bring into Evernote. Though I'd prefer if EN provided text extraction, not just search in an image. 

Please consider an integration with Remarkable as I use my Remarkable for all my note taking when attending in person meetings. The reason I use Remarkable over evernote is because typing during in person meetings is extremely rude, thus I write on my remarkable. I do use a zapier integration to tie notes from remarkable to my evernote, but it is slow and not very robust. I often have to spend a few hours every few weeks updating and syncing the two systems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

You may think for yourself about what I say now: EN is currently running 2 & 1/2 clients (desktop, mobile, web) and is likely to add another OS to desktop, by releasing a Linux client, any time now (it still is in beta).

They don’t even properly support platforms with hundreds of millions of active devices, like the iPad. Or others with still an 8-digit-counts, like Android and Windows tablets with stylus capabilities.

This Remarkable device may be your choice, but it is a complete niche product, practically unable to be used as stand alone solution. And given price and limitations I doubt it will ever scale to a mass market.

Probability of an EN client: The most optimistic view I have is „Never say never“.

About using it with sharing content to EN: Be aware that EN will only OCR handwriting in picture files, jpg, png and gif. When you share your remarkable notes as a pdf, EN will not OCR handwriting. Here is more about it:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314518

For handwriting in a pdf to be searchable in EN, it must already be OCRed before upload to EN. I use GoodNotes 5 on the iPad, and it does OCR my handwritten notes before creating a pdf and sending it to EN. These handwritten notes are then fully searchable as a pdf.

I thought this was a discussion about a file transfer/backup integration to move notes over to EN. Not a client to run on the Remarkable. And BTW, the Remarkable has so little RAM and processor power that any sort of real app would be a non-starter. 

On 10/23/2021 at 11:40 AM, Isa Aydin said:

I wish Remarkable and Evernote had integration. That way I would be able to upload my sketches into the evernote. I am commercial photographer and I need to keep my briefs with sketches together.

Remarkable now syncs with Google Drive and DropBox..  Perhaps you can configure EN to watch the folder in Google Drive that contains your remarkable sketches? 

https://support.remarkable.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406217575441-Information-about-Connect

• Unlimited cloud storage 
  • Google Drive and Dropbox integration
  • Handwriting conversion
  • Screen Share
  • Fast Sync
  • Send by email
  • Like 1

As a reMarkable 2 user, I agree that it would be more convenient to have a direct integration between my device and EN... for me, that's because NOBODY does handwriting recognition as well as EN (IMO).  I can search all of my rM notes and actually find the ones I'm looking for.

My manual integration isn't hard, but it is a little time consuming:  I just email my notes into my EN account from my rM device.  It moves them over as. PDF which is a format that lets EN read and index my handwriting (doesn't convert to digital text... just recognizes the words) so I can find my stuff later.

Works great... could be seamless.  Still, it's a helluva 1-2 punch, in my opinion!!

Ron

• Like 2
  • Level 5

One can argue about handwriting recognition: GoodNotes 5 does a significant better job on it, and it allows to extract handwritten text converted into computer text. When I create handwriting in GN5, have OCR set and export it as a searchable pdf to EN, search is excellent.

EN does not allow to extract text, and it will only OCR handwriting in picture files, not in pdf. This means that the handling of handwriting is confined to 1 paged documents, since picture files like JPEG or PNG only support a single picture per file.

But maybe this is a discussion of yesterday, at least for iOS and MacOS: With iOS 15 and MacOS 12, any text can be extracted from pictures, no matter from where they originate.

1 hour ago, rschae4 said:

As a reMarkable 2 user, I agree that it would be more convenient to have a direct integration between my device and EN... for me, that's because NOBODY does handwriting recognition as well as EN (IMO).  I can search all of my rM notes and actually find the ones I'm looking for.

My manual integration isn't hard, but it is a little time consuming:  I just email my notes into my EN account from my rM device.  It moves them over as. PDF which is a format that lets EN read and index my handwriting (doesn't convert to digital text... just recognizes the words) so I can find my stuff later.

Works great... could be seamless.  Still, it's a helluva 1-2 punch, in my opinion!!

Ron

23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

One can argue about handwriting recognition: GoodNotes 5 does a significant better job on it, and it allows to extract handwritten text converted into computer text. When I create handwriting in GN5, have OCR set and export it as a searchable pdf to EN, search is excellent.

EN does not allow to extract text, and it will only OCR handwriting in picture files, not in pdf. This means that the handling of handwriting is confined to 1 paged documents, since picture files like JPEG or PNG only support a single picture per file.

But maybe this is a discussion of yesterday, at least for iOS and MacOS: With iOS 15 and MacOS 12, any text can be extracted from pictures, no matter from where they originate.

I do the exact same thing!  It's not hard  nor time consuming at all.  Is it automatic?  No, but it really does not interrupt my workflow.

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Can I move a handwritten Remarkable document to Good Notes, and have it  indexed before moving to Evernote?  

What would be the best format for the exported Remarkable doc?   

• Level 5

GoodNotes only indexes what was written with GoodNotes. The indexing goes on while the writing takes place - it observes the writing itself, not only the result.

Personally I think the Remarkable is an - expensive - dead end. The hardware is very limited - the e-ink display is not working for anything but writing and text reading. The OS is not capable of much more than the preinstalled function, it is locking users in. It may be capable of doing what it does - but that is it, no ecosystem building around it. Just my 5ct ...

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

GoodNotes only indexes what was written with GoodNotes. The indexing goes on while the writing takes place - it observes the writing itself, not only the result.

Personally I think the Remarkable is an - expensive - dead end. The hardware is very limited - the e-ink display is not working for anything but writing and text reading. The OS is not capable of much more than the preinstalled function, it is locking users in. It may be capable of doing what it does - but that is it, no ecosystem building around it. Just my 5ct ...

You are mostly correct about the RM, but at this point in time, there is no better paper feel, electronic writing device in the marketplace.     

• Like 3

I''ve tried all the combinations over the years its seems starting with the writing experience itself: onenote on ipad, goodnotes on ipad, remarkable, penultimate on ipad.  On the ipad I even tried multiple variations of "paperfeel" coverings.  I just wanted to be able to write and then search my handwritten notes across devices.

I left livescribe becaue the pens were gigantic but then I bought a symphony. Still, I tried the other approaches (down to the kid friendly Rocketbook). And I always come back to the Symphony smart pen.  I don't have to worry much about it running out of battery and although I write for a living have never run out of space/memory.  I have it to auto-sync to BOTH evernone and Dropbox and it does so flawlessly.  From there I can put the notes (handwriting recognition almost perfect) into a notebook and then can export the whole notebook when I want to in to Adobe Acrobat DC where it is pretty much fully searchable. And it records audio to boot.  I use it in conjunction with Evernote on my ipad/desktop to capture things from the net. For annotations on my ipad I use PDF Expert by Readdle.

People ask me all the time about it....and they try my system and rave....if only livescribe would give me free merch as much as folks who see my system go on to buy their stuff.

:(

• Level 5

Anybody can answer this question themselves: If EN is not even properly supporting the iPad (which is by far the leading e-pencil supporting device), how good are chances they will start to work on any other technology ?

Don‘t count on it …

Here is why I think this would be a brilliant Evernote capability.  But first, I want to acknowledge the naysayers. I get it folks.  EN has to focus their limited resources on what will grow their revenue.  But please listen. EN's market share has been eroding. Many of us have been trying other products that have some far superior features.  EN's competitive advantage is interoperability.  When the new shiny tool can't work across the enterprise, many come back to EN.  Marketshare for the Remarkable 2 is growing very quickly and smooth integration of R2 and EN would be like chocolate and peanut butter!

I bought a Remarkable 2 and love it.  Writes significantly better than my iPad with a Paperlike screen coating.  Reading is as easy on the eyes as my Kindle, however unlike the Kindle scribe, this lets me write directly onto the pages like I would in a real book.  Distraction free (No email, social media, web browsing) allowing for focused work / deep thinking. My wife is a devout paper notebook person even switched to Remarkable.  A colleague of mine got his company buy Remarkable tablets for everyone in his department!  It's just that good.

Interoperability is what EN does best.  They are VERY good at this and the level of effort would be low.  Remarkable 2 is rapidly innovating and since this request was originally posted, has setup partnership with M$ Onedrive, Google Drive, and Dropbox.  I'm sure they would be willing to co-develop as it would be mutually beneficial.

If you've read this far, I thank you for your consideration.

-Al

CC:

@anirban @gbarry @Anibal I. @Jeff AM. @rprabhu @nhapp

• Like 4

Hello,
I think that if the management. Evernote product didn't integrate the awesome Evernote tablet, it's either:
- they know what they are doing, but they have strategic interests in not upsetting big players;
- they still know what they're doing, and we're going to have a really good surprise this year, because they've realized they have a big shot;

- or they left their brains at the last dissertation of their university and they don't realize the "big one" (the ***** opportunity) they would have to integrate Evernote reMarkable, << but especially to buy this company.>>>

But that little joke aside. Of course, i admire this fine Evernote company and I'm sure the executives have their heads. :)

But it would be really great 

for me the perfect combo wil be: Google Drive - EN - Remarkable 💕

• Level 5

The last time EN bought external apps, it lead to Skitch, Penultimate and Scannable. All 3 were only halfheartedly integrated with EN - the main addition was a direct sync into a notebook.

From this action on, they were practically abandoned and live a zombified life in the AppStore.

So better think twice if you ask for buying that Remarkable outfit.