• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Troglodite said:

How can I backup all my notebooks in Evernote? So I can save to and USB memory for example. Also so I can open the files with another program.

I have a weekly full backup of my Evernote data1175472168_ScreenShot2020-03-14at10_35_53AM.png.86b58fecf11f8a37341c4949ac13ae88.png

Select all notes (Command A)
Select File > Export

I use HTML format
The export is separate files for each note that can be viewed using any web browser app

To maintain Notebook info, use a separate export for each notebook

32366673_ScreenShot2020-03-14at10_47_33AM.png.91b6b9a0e10219ae30c9221aa0ad95a7.png

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I have a weekly full backup of my Evernote data1175472168_ScreenShot2020-03-14at10_35_53AM.png.86b58fecf11f8a37341c4949ac13ae88.png

Select all notes (Command A)
Select File > Export

I use HTML format

The export is separate files for each note that can be viewed using any web browser app

To maintain Notebook info, use a separate export for each notebook

Thank you very much for your reply. Can this process somehow be automated?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Troglodite said:

Can this process somehow be automated?

Yes, I use a Mac AppleScript to automate backups; daily intermediate and weekly full

The basic code is     tell application "Evernote" to export theNotes to fileBackup format HTML

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Evernote has removed the ability to select more than 50 notes. I can no longer back up Evernote. This is just one of many, many bad design decisions in the most recent version. For years I've backed-up Evernote by selecting all the notes and exporting them to my hard drive. I have more than 6000 notes. I'm supposed to select and 50 at a time in order to back them up? Another REALLY bad decision by the design team.

Here are some others. For example, the disappearance of the sync button, the burying of checkbox formatting clear formatting, etc. in a side menu, and the disappearance of the ability to export scanned business cards to contacts (to be fair, this happened a while ago)... All huge steps backward.

My take on the theme of 10.4.4: more hunting, scrolling, and searching hidden menus. Why is so much stuff buried? Why does it take two or three clicks to do what used to take one click?

Evernote is supposed to be a productivity app! I'm spending more time UNdoing the automatic formatting in lists (my to-do list for example) than I am entering information.The automatic indentation in lists, and the automatic strikethrough when I hit the return key is incredibly frustrating.

I downgraded to the "legacy" version for Mac 7.14.1 and I feel a tremendous sense of relief. I pray that Evernote listens to this feedback from all of us and modifies the boondoggle that is 10.4.4. Another online commenter, put it best: They said this didn't feel like a new version of Evernote. They said it feels like a whole new (strange) app that has suddenly been given access to our Evernote data.

Horrible.

#everbetterevernote ? Seriously? #everworseevernote !
Edited by jeanmiele
to add more details
  • Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

I see that I can export one notebook at a time (I have many), but not a notebook stack (I only have a few). So, the notebook export method also stinks.

I can't believe Evernote would eliminate the formerly simple backup process with an unusable one and consider that progress. Moderator, are we just ignorant of how to do it?

Using Windows app v10.4.4.x

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

On a Mac it is quite simple: TimeMachine will backup the local EN data, as it will backup all the rest. On a Windows computer using a similar backup solution, the same will happen. Just make sure the „keep local copy“ is enabled in v10 - in legacy it automatically creates a local copy.

One must tell EN export (which happens per notebook, and to an ENEX file) apart from running a backup of the EN data. One may discuss the necessity to back up altogether, at least if one does not have any local notebooks. v10 takes this decision away,  because there are no more local notebooks. Since all notes are stored on the EN server in the cloud, IMHO there is no real need to run special backups.

The classical export use case is to move the notes to another application. Here it should be done notebook by notebook. The „notebook“ information is  not saved in the ENEX, so you end up with a heap of notes if not exporting each Notebook to an individual ENEX file. Because you do this once, efficiency IMHO is not that important.

This is a disaster. I have 1500 notes, I have been using EN for 10 years (most of that as a paying user). I have stuck with them through all the ups and downs, but the fact that I can only back up 50 notes (or 1 notebook) at a time is a deal breaker. I have far too much important data sitting in EN. I will be looking for a new solution if they do not fix this quickly. Probably just Apple Notes, they keep adding more functionality with each update.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, onetaste said:

This is a disaster. I have 1500 notes ... but the fact that I can only back up 50 notes (or 1 notebook) at a time is a deal breaker.

Personally, I'm using the Legacy version and have no backup problems

1 hour ago, onetaste said:

Thx. Can I use this in conjunction with EN iOS and have them sync properly?

Yes. I have EN 10.x iOS on both my iPhone and iPad as well as running EN Legacy on my Windows PC. I just make sure that I have fully synced after an editing session on any one device and close the session out (not leave it running in the background) - this is me being cautious so as to prevent sync conflicts. I do regular backups, by notebook, from the Windows EN Legacy app.

• Like 1

Now EN has deleted the changes I made on iOS to a vital note. It is gone from all versions of EN including Legacy. This is a serious disappointment. By design they they only allow backup of 50 notes at a time. The trust that I have for this platform is evaporating very quickly, there is only a thread left.

Almost from the beginning of Evernote I have been a user and paid user as well. All those years I have been an extremely strong proponent for Evernote, helped many others setup Evernote, working with Evernote, and the like. Evernote's change with their backup is too much; backup 50 notes at a time only, someone is not right-bright. My subscription renews Jan 18, today auto renew is turned off. 

Another option is create folders in Google Drive or OneDrive similar to my Evernote setup. There I will be putting new documents, scans, and the like. At present my Evernote contains a gazillion docs and scans; yes I am a digital hoarder. Entering new docs, files, and scans, in folders on Google Drive or OneDrive is perfectly okay. Both Google Drive and OneDrive have excellent searching capabilities, and as for OCR look at this: OCR support on scanned documents is now available on the OneDrive mobile apps. Learn more here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-onedrive-blog/onedrive-roadmap-roundup-september-2019/ba-p/883866

Giving all this a good thought, the big advantage of having files removed from any note app is easier document sharing, manipulation, processing, backups, and the like. Completely agree, yes a note app absolutely does have benefits. Evernote and OneNote are much the same in different clothes, both excellent products, cost is the major differentiator. Regarding features OneNote does have more useful features as well.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-onedrive-blog/onedrive-roadmap-roundup-september-2019/ba-p/883866

• Level 5

Repeating a wrong information does not make it right: You can export a whole notebook at a time, regardless of its size (below 10.000 notes AFAIK).

The 50 notes limit does only apply when the notes are picked individually.

The limit can be changed by editing a setting in a file EN places on the computer. Sure this is at own risk, but it is then possible to take action on more notes than 50. Have set it to 1.000 on my Mac and will observe.

IMHO all the rest of the thread is about alternatives, why not: Everybody should use (and pay for) the app that suits the own needs best. This decision should be based on true fact, not on wrongly set starting statements.

I have about 50 notebooks, you are not seriously suggesting that doing this 50 times over every time I want to do an export is reasonable? I don’t have time for that rubbish. Once I was able to export everything in one click. Now I can’t, so that is a serious problem, and one by design, EN is intentionally crippling its users, presumably because it is afraid of them leaving. Guess what that will lead to?

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm using the Evernote Legacy product and have no problem exporting my data     
Installation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Thanks for reminding me, that worked nicely and took 30 seconds for 1535 notes. I'll keep using this as long as it keeps working. And fingers crossed Legacy and mobile devices keep syncing properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

According to @DTLow above  (I tried to reply to your post but couldn't figure it out) - I can do a back-up of my Evernotes with using "Export selected notes". Can I save it on an external drive as well? I am not very tech savy so already feeling the cortisol rush simply by writing this :), imagining that I will get stuck. Also, why are you using HTML? Sorry for these basic questions. 

I have 100s of notes and now want to secure that I will not loose them and do a weekly back-up that is as easy as possible. And thinking that my HD on desktop would expload if I use it as my source for backup so prefer an external version. I am using Mac. Any sweet suggestions how to go about this. 

Many thanks, Lotta

• Level 5

The export function will create an ENEX-file, that contains the information. This file (think of it like a box with your notes in it) can be copied, moved and saved as any other file, to an external drive, a USB stick, to the cloud, wherever. To restore, you import it back into EN. A number of other notes applications support the import of ENEX-files as well.

Just be aware that the note-notebook-information is not contained, so if you want to conserve your notebook structure , you should export notebook by notebook, and name the ENEX-files in a way you know which is which.

To make this easier, on a Mac you could use a script - but if you say you are not tech savvy, probably scripting it not on your agenda. IMHO the information is very save on the EN server. Make sure you use a unique, strong password plus 2 factor authentication - then I don’t think your notes are in danger of being lost. So if you want to run a manual backup yourself is up to you - I doubt the necessity.

There is a feature in EN you may not know: For each note, there is a note history running in the background on the EN server. When a note is modified and synced to the server, the old version is conserved (about once a day). As long as the note still exists, you can open note history and go back to an earlier version. You can even create a copy of the old version, to have the current and the old content side by side. It runs for all accounts, access is a premium feature. You find it in the note information.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ladelstal said:

Also, why are you using HTML?

There are two export options; HTML and ENEX
HTML results in a file for each note; readable by any browser app    
ENEX results in all notes combined in a single mass file.  Notes can only be read by importing the mass file into Evernote

Yes, the backup can be directed to an external drive (or a cloud drive)

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

IMHO the information is very save on the EN server. Make sure you use a unique, strong password plus 2 factor authentication - then I don’t think your notes are in danger of being lost. So if you want to run a manual backup yourself is up to you - I doubt the necessity.

There are examples on this forum of notes being wiped out by EN sync. Then they are lost forever. This has happened to me.

I also worry about the case where EN goes out of business and we can't access our data. The way they continue to "improve" things is resulting in paying customers leaving, and the alternatives are getting better. That creates a risk that I'm not prepared to take.

As you can see I am a Level 1 user on this forum. EN has just worked in the past and I never had any motivation to get on here and comment. Now it has got so bad I am contemplating moving to another software. 10 years and 1500+ notes, I am not taking this lightly. And if I do decide to move to another platform, 15 exports of 100 notes is no problem at all, I will go to that effort, so this crippling change they made to backup is just dumb.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Nobody will argue that pushing v10 on us users was a shining star among software releases in the last years. But mainly it produced (initially) duplicates of notes, not data losses. The syncing of the clients, especially the iOS client were fragile at first, but this did wreck new shared content on import, not notes already created and synced to the server.

If you are loosing sleep on what could happen to your data, do whatever you need to do to regain your calm. Just remember that just because a new company may grow fast, it does not mean it is or will one day be profitable. There are enough examples of startups that were looking very bright, when in fact they had no business model at all, and were just burning through their seed money.

Some even produce a lock-in, nicely importing the data from an EN account, but not offering an export option themselves.

For me the question is simply which app does support my use cases best. EN legacy does, EN v10 as it is at the moment doesn’t. Alternatives I have reviewed doesn’t either, although I have prepared my Plan B. So as long as I can stay on legacy, there is no need to rush a decision.

• Like 2

This is a really interesting thread, and something that I am constantly thinking about.  I have, for years, backed up the 'legacy' data file on a regular basis (compressed then pushed it into my data backup work-flow which utilises two public Cloud storage providers).  I was aware that should EN disappear, I would struggle to get my data back, unless I was able to import the db into *something*.  

Now that I am not able to backup the entire db (without manually clicking 'export notebook') - I am more than a little worried, and am thinking that I should remove all my attachments (realistically just the ones that I need (which will take years) - and store in multiple locations and simply refer to them in EN.  Notes I can export to other applications as a 'backup'.... but things like 'Notion' do not accept files imported from a note (so I believe).... (And I do not like them as much!)

Is anyone else of the same mind?! (Or am I panicking for little reason!)

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, jaypema said:

I have, for years, backed up the 'legacy' data file on a regular basis (compressed then pushed it into my data backup work-flow which utilises two public Cloud storage providers).  I was aware that should EN disappear, I would struggle to get my data back, unless I was able to import the db into *something*.  

I'm still using the Evernote Legacy product
My backups include the raw database (Mac TimeMachine), also a weekly full export in HTML format
The HTML note records are read-able by any browser app, and include attachments

>>Now that I am not able to backup the entire db

What's the problem - the Version 10 product maintains a local "database"
I don't know how useful it is for restoring data

• Level 5

The first backup for my EN data is the EN server. It holds multiple copies in several data centers, so it is safer than just a drive in a server somewhere. And it runs note history, so I have versioning as well, and can undo changes.

The own backup from local data is just a fallback option on top. I doubt it is really necessary, just one of these feelgood things.

• Like 1
On 2/1/2021 at 6:38 PM, PinkElephant said:

The first backup for my EN data is the EN server. It holds multiple copies in several data centers, so it is safer than just a drive in a server somewhere. And it runs note history, so I have versioning as well, and can undo changes.

The own backup from local data is just a fallback option on top. I doubt it is really necessary, just one of these feelgood things.

I agree.... my concern is EN disappears, I have too much important information stored in here that would be very problematic to lose (I am going to start copying out attachments, but it will be a LONG process).   I do have a saved .dmg of the legacy app, which I hope I could use to import .enex files into should the company disappear.

My work around has been to manually export ALL my notebooks (using the v10 product), I will then MANUALLY export just the notebooks that have been updated since the last backup period (I do not use a lot of active notebooks).  This tasks is manual, and goes against everything I try and do in my day-job - but I have tried EN alternatives, and always come back...

But you are right! Hope for the best! And people like ENs new features and the company goes from strength to strength(!) - even if I prefer the legacy application!

On 2/2/2021 at 3:57 AM, SergeySus said:

In this new version 10+ I can no longer select all notebooks to export. Is there a way to do this? I've had enough of the updates and this app no longer fits my use case and I want to leave.

I believe you have to do this one-by-one... the process is pretty quick though (unless you have 1000 of notebooks!).  I had a notebook with 2000 notes and lots of notes in it.... the export was very quick.  If you are leaving EN, you could consider consolidating your notebooks to make things quicker (but that may not work for you from an organisational point of view).

What are you going to move to?! I have tried OneNote, Notion, Bear, SimpleNote, AppleNotes, NoteJoy (among others) - and I came back each time....! That might be familiarity and history - but I struggle to keep with any of there others for more than a few weeks (OneNote was the longest)!

• Level 5

Select notebook by notebook, and export.

This should be done anyhow - else you end up with all notes on a big heap, and no notebook assignment saved. The information which note is in which notebook gets lost on export, on old and new client. Name each export file with the notebook name to know where the content belongs.

If you are up to it, you can automate the export by a script. But as a one-timer IMHO this is not worth the effort.

And most important, because other programs will not always conserve the content as you want it: Select your future app, and then make a test import run.

One final hint: OCR by the EN server will not be exported, and probably links will be broken.

• 2 months later...

QQ: Iiuc, re backup and restore from Legacy

1. A restore from Time Machine doesn't restore tag or notebook assignments?
  2. If one tags each note to match its notebook and backs up to enex and backs up (either by notebook or all at once), then after restore one can use tags to reassign to notebooks — but the tag hierarchy won't be restored?
  3. CrashPlan no longer supports EN as well as it did (haven't ferreted out the details)?
  4. Dropbox, SugarSync, Box, etc., are ok for storing enex or html but don't offer anything beyond that re EN — except that they balk when note or notebook titles have characters that disobey Windows file naming conventions?

Edited by tempus
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, tempus said:

A restore from Time Machine doesn't restore tag or notebook assignments?

Can you provide details on exactly what you're "restoring" from Time Machine?   
Be aware that the master version of our data is stored on the Evernote servers   
- a local "restore" impacts the local data copy

Aah … if tag and notebook assignments -are- restored, that was an apparently improper surmise on my part.

I don't currently use TM and am not currently trying to restore anything. I'm considering which backup scheme to use and am still wondering whether TM can be used for a complete backup and restore that will restore tag and notebook assignments and tag hierarchy or is it only for one note at a time?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, tempus said:

wondering whether TM can be used for a complete backup and restore that will restore tag and notebook assignments and tag hierarchy

You can restore the local database copy from TM and it will  include tag/notebook assignment and tag/notebook hierarchy  edit: along with date created/updated

Warning: if you go online and login, the sync process will overwrite the local database copy

Thx … So if one first deleted the online database and then recovered from TM, all would be restored? If so, why wouldn't TM suffice for recovery both of individual notes and EN Apocalypse? [Apologies for adding:] along with dates created and updated?

Edited by tempus
forgot this aspect
  • Level 5

You can’t really delete the online data base. You can select all notes, move them to the trash and empty it. Then probably (have not tried) when you restored the local copy from backup and sync, the local notes will be trashed as well.

The local backup is important if you have local notebooks that are not synced to the server.

Thx … Under those assumptions, then TM backup is good only for recovery of individual notes but not for EN Apocalypse. (I'm setting aside the issue of local notebooks.)

If I understand that correctly, that takes care of my #1 above. 

Do you have thoughts re my #2, 3, 4?

• Level 5

That thinking is falling short of your own objective.

Personally I think your EN apocalypse is not going to happen. There is not a single copy of the server data - it is distributed over several data centers, in copies, so if one is down, another takes over.

And if EN would go offline (completely …), there would be not master server to overwrite your local Backup any longer. Just start your legacy client to open it. Although I doubt that this will be the most pressing problem in that case you will have to solve.

A more flexible way is to export as ENEX file (one large file, can be read by a number of other programs, do the export notebook by notebook) or as HTML, which creates one HTML file per note, and can be opened by browser. This makes you independent from a specific software to read your backup.

There are enough possibilities to create your own backup - which sets EN apart from many other competing programs, that often have no or only proprietary export options. Being the market leader, EN has sort of set the standard of exporting notes by using ENEX.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, tempus said:

2. ...but the tag hierarchy won't be restored?

As noted, tag hierarchy is not contained in the .enex export file

However, deleting/restoring notes does not impact the tag hierarchy
Notebook/Tag hierarchy is stored separately from note data in the Evernote database

>>If one tags each note to match its notebook and backs up to enex and backs up (either by notebook or all at once), then after restore one can use tags to reassign to notebooks

That will work 
If you tag "each note to match it's notebook", why do you even bother with  using notebooks?
Isn't the tag sufficient

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Capt J. said:

Does anyone have an updated process for Mac to automatically backup Evernote completely?

You're posting in the Legacy forums   
or are you interested in the new v10 product

Also, does your request cover Backup and Restore

• Level 5

No scripting possible on the new version yet.

If you want to use Automator or Apple Script, you need to install legacy.

There were reports in the forum it won’t run on a new M1-Mac. BigSur on an Intel powered Mac is no problem.

• 5 months later...

Just reading this thread with interest.  It has been awhile (6-9 months anyway) since I was reading some other threads pertaining to the new EN release (for windows in my case) and I made the decision to just stay at Legacy.. I am at 6.25.2.9198.

Not sure if this issue, the ability to do one FULL export has been addressed in the new version of EN and also what the overall consensus is on the new version.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Steve2014 said:

FULL export has been addressed in the new version of EN

Warning; The Evernote export function does not include notebook information   
                 Separate exports per notebook are recommended to preserve notebook assignment

The v10 product export is per-notebook process; "full export" is not supported; scripting is not supported
I'm still using the Legacy product on a Mac; automated via scripting

>what the overall consensus is on the new version

Imho  The v10 product is a work-in-progress 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Export for creating an export is a one timer, when switching to another app. The „one step“ can not be addressed - the ENEX files don’t have the notebook information. And even if EN would add it, the other apps couldn’t handle it.

For backup purposes it is much (MUCH) easier: Use any backup program to draw a regular copy of your EN folder to a backup drive. Done !

On the Mac I use the regular TimeMachine process. The EN data folder is automatically included and saved, including versioning to be able to restore an older copy.

I use TM for backup and restore, although earlier in this thread it is suggested that any restore will be overwritten by the online server at the next sync. Is this true and is there a way around that? The problematic instance I am thinking of is where the online version gets corrupted. 

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, onetaste said:

any restore will be overwritten by the online server at the next sync. Is this true and is there a way around that?

Yes, the sync process will update your data to the latest date using the master version on the servers

To get around this, do your restore offline; there will be no sync    
Before going back online; take care of any notes needing protection    
- copy to a new note or export/import

• Thanks 1