Word Count

Chris O_1

Idea

How is it possible to NOT provide a word count???  

Nobody wants to click on Note Details to see the word count for each note.  

Honestly, this issue has been going on for years and they still haven't updated a Status Bar option for Mac users. 

Extremely disappointing.  Zero support here, even though there have been dozens of requests/posts.  Ridiculous. 

• Like 2

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 3/11/2020 at 9:27 PM, Chris O_1 said:

Zero support here, even though there have been dozens of requests/posts.  Ridiculous. 

Hi.  There are specific feature request threads for all apps and for the iOS app where this request would be better posted.  On a quick search I can't find anyone else raising the issue - which may be why Evernote hasn't done anything so far.  They are in the process of redesigning the app,  so the new version might surprise you...  later this year.

• Confused 1
  • Level 5*
On 3/11/2020 at 2:27 PM, Chris O_1 said:

Nobody wants to click on Note Details to see the word count for each note.  

This discussion has been moved to the Mac Request forum

Personally, I never check word count for notes, but have no problem clicking on Note Details

• Level 5

For me there is no need for anything like this inside of EN.

On my Mac I use a little helper app called PopClip. It does many things, and among them is the ability to make a character and word count for any text selection. If I need it, I just mark the text in the EN note, move the mouse over it, and a little menu will appear, including the word and character count.

Besid this, it can do many other things like sending the selected text to a number of search engines, task managers and - to Evernote.

Best is, PopClip is available in all apps, not only for EN. 

Wow, these forums are something else. If you write something about what you'd like to see there's a Level 5 poster that will pounce on you and tell you it doesn't make any sense and that it's a ridiculous request. Shame you on. I came here because I was looking for the same thing... improvements in the Word Count reporting. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MeverJBote said:

Wow, these forums are something else. If you write something about what you'd like to see there's a Level 5 poster that will pounce on you and tell you it doesn't make any sense and that it's a ridiculous request. Shame you on. 

Completely agree which is why I post little here- it seems if you are not a 100% committed EN acolyte then the EN PD pounce and tell you basically go get something else. Very odd and very detrimental to perception of EN.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, MeverJBote said:

there's a Level 5 poster that will pounce on you and tell you it doesn't make any sense

3 hours ago, rob24hrs said:

the EN PD pounce and tell you basically go get something else

So.  There were three responses to this post.

1. Something like what you asked for might already be in the works
  2. There's a better place to make your request
  3. Here's an app that will do what you want for the meanwhile

I'm sorry that we're so mean to people.

Yes,  I realise that I'm an L5 meany pouncing on your posts,  but if you're really hurt by anything that anyone says here,  there's a 'report' button on any post.  Plus anything that anyone says without the EMPLOYEE badge on their profile is a personal opinion which Evernote will look at when making their own decisions about what to do in any given situation.  Usually,  we're trying to help by getting more information about what's wanted,  setting expectations or finding work-arounds.  Honest.

Oh - and if it makes you uncomfortable posting here,  try Evernote's social media accounts or comment on their blog.  (See? Work-around!)

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

So.  There were three responses to this post.

1. Something like what you asked for might already be in the works
  2. There's a better place to make your request
  3. Here's an app that will do what you want for the meanwhile

I'm sorry that we're so mean to people.

Yes,  I realise that I'm an L5 meany pouncing on your posts,  but if you're really hurt by anything that anyone says here,  there's a 'report' button on any post.  Plus anything that anyone says without the EMPLOYEE badge on their profile is a personal opinion which Evernote will look at when making their own decisions about what to do in any given situation.  Usually,  we're trying to help by getting more information about what's wanted,  setting expectations or finding work-arounds.  Honest.

Oh - and if it makes you uncomfortable posting here,  try Evernote's social media accounts or comment on their blog.  (See? Work-around!)

I rest my case m'lord.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, rob24hrs said:

I rest my case m'lord.

LOL - don't know whether to laugh or cry. 

Did I mention that there's an 'ignore user' option here too?  If you're really that jaded you could arrange it so we L5's never trouble you again.  Just hover over the green user name to the left of any post...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
12 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you're really that jaded you could arrange it so we L5's never trouble you again.

Alternatively if you can not refrain from acting like some form of EN thought police don't respond to posts? Has it not occurred to you that most people try to USE Evernote and don't want to spend their time on a forum policed by EN disciples who think EN is the answer to everything and kick back against anyone having the temerity to suggest otherwise?  Despite the empty promises from the management to PAYING customers and broken apps/systems?

• Level 5*

Hmmn.

3 hours ago, rob24hrs said:

refrain from acting like some form of EN thought police don't respond to posts?

You heard of this expression "freedom of speech"? 

Not going to continue this argument anyway - we're both now breaking Forum Guidelines by hijacking the original query.

• Haha 1

Just started using Evernote and it's been really useful as my method of writing usually involves jumping between multiple documents. But it seems like it's missing some features I would have thought were a no brainier. Honestly surprised that an inbuilt word count UI wasn't a day one feature. Maybe Evernote is not designed for the sort of work I do? I dunno

• Level 5*
On 11/7/2021 at 5:03 AM, Henriod Teetershmit said:

Maybe Evernote is not designed for the sort of work I do? I dunno

Hi.  Evernote isn't designed specifically for any particular sort of work.  Zero people have voted in favour of this thread in over a year,  so the chances are it's not something that's high on their list - although as noted,  there should be a word count in Note Details...  

• Level 5

If on a Mac, you can install the little menu bar helper app PopClip. It adds a floating menu to many activities. If set up to provide it, it will show a character and/or word count whenever you select a text on the Mac, independent from the app you are in. It has options to send the selected text directly into a number of apps as well, including EN.

On 11/9/2021 at 6:44 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Evernote isn't designed specifically for any particular sort of work.  Zero people have voted in favour of this thread in over a year,  so the chances are it's not something that's high on their list - although as noted,  there should be a word count in Note Details...  

Yeah it's good that at least you can find it somewhere. I might just not have found how to do it, but the inability to see the word court for highlighted text within a document is mild headache. It seems like such a minor feature to add, and it's not like having it would be to the detriment of users who aren't in favor of it