Evernote for Windows 6.24GA

Iriska

Idea

• Ex Employees
Today we released Windows 6.24 GA. It's available here!
What’s in 6.24 GA?

Fixed:

• Some users experienced errors when connecting Evernote to Google Drive 
  • The app would not restart after changing language settings
  • When clicking on a notebook, the app would not always load the first note in that notebook
  • The confirmation window when exiting the app was not always visible
  • “Synchronizing notes” progress bar was not appearing
  • Like 9

27 replies to this idea

On 3/8/2020 at 2:39 PM, Kolmir said:

One funny fact - if you click Release Notes it shows wrong version number

image.png.47780dd65aa4f3411cfb469f58795fa9.png

Guys, get some more sleep.. 😉

This was fixed! Thanks for reporting it ;) 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 3/4/2020 at 8:31 PM, Iriska said:
  • The confirmation window when exiting the app was not always visible
  • “Synchronizing notes” progress bar was not appearing

I just installed it, and honestly I wasn't aware that either of these two was supposed to appear. I still don't see them. Where should I be looking?

• Like 1
On 3/13/2020 at 3:34 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I just installed it, and honestly I wasn't aware that either of these two was supposed to appear. I still don't see them. Where should I be looking?

The first one you may have previously said GOAWAY! ("Don't show again") I know the first time I install on a new machine and exit, I always click that!

I think the 2nd only comes up sometimes (I don't remember the conditions). But you do need to have sync-changes-on-exit enabled (in options).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  First oddity in behaviour - had the main app window and 2 notes open separately while I edited a summary of actions in one of the notes.  Drag & Dropped 2 .MSG files from Outlook and edited the heading of the item to add two words.  The entire note froze and Task Manager showed Evernote using around 20% of my CPU resource. 

It's happened before that Evernote had a 'panic' but steadies down after a few minutes.  I went for a coffee and got sidetracked. 

Came back a good 10 minutes later - same usage.  Tried to close the separate note windows and another app to free up some resource - no reaction.  Tried to exit the main Evernote window - CPU usage goes up to 35% and stays there.  Tried again to close a note window - windows says 'not responding / close app?'  which I did.

Gave it 10 minutes and restarted Evernote - no fatal error window,  but while I am seeing Evernote in Task Manager and it's using around 18% CPU,  I'm not getting an app window.  System restart may be necessary.  I hate computers.  🙄

EDIT:

Evernote ran for another hour+ at around 20% CPU but never showed an app window.  Restarted the laptop and I got an app window...  though it took a full 5 minutes to go from blank to (I think) the full set of notes.  Clicked on the trouble note from before - which I had updated meantime via the web version... and it all seems in order!  Blessed if I know what happened.

Checked logs - lots and LOTS of -

16:25:35 [ERROR  ] [4680] [2620] Failed to save note uid=260695, timed out
16:26:06 [ERROR  ] [4680] [2620] Failed to save note uid=260695, timed out
16:26:36 [ERROR  ] [4680] [2620] Failed to save note uid=260695, timed out
16:27:06 [ERROR  ] [4680] [2620] Failed to save note uid=260695, timed out

???

Everything else seemed to be working - maybe because the web is stressed about by everyone home working... :(

I hate Covid 😷

• Level 5*

...and further to the previous note,  another EDIT:  While Evernote was back,  it now seems I can't drag and drop images into my notes now - I have to Attach them via the paperclip...

(The reason for this extra comment being,  the Forum won't let me edit the previous note?!?)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

While Evernote was back,  it now seems I can't drag and drop images into my notes now - I have to Attach them via the paperclip...

Images from where? I can can drag them from a web page or from File Explorer just fine. Or are you still doing it from Outlook?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, jefito said:

Images from where?

This recent one was a 'proper' image file from the desktop - a JPG rather than a MSG file.  Everything else seems to be working,  so I assume this is just Ganesha having a laugh...  another restart might cure it...

This previously reported problem, which is still present, was causing a minor annoyance when I created a new note in the wrong notebook since I did not notice the view had changed. 

But now that I am working with shared notebooks, it is causing a major problem: if I accidentally create a note in a shared notebook, I cannot change the notebook back (it is locked), nor can I delete the note, even though I have full editing privileges.  Please fix the bug below, it is too problematic.

• Level 5*

Ah.  @Don Dz - sorry: should have read this thread before responding to the other post.  OK I get why creating notes in shared notebooks may be a problem.  Not sure why - even with editing privs you'd be unable to delete...  Had the changes synced fully when you were trying?

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Had the changes synced fully when you were trying?

When I still had access to the other computer, I found all the changes synced fine, but I found that whenever I deleted a note from my end, it would reappear on the other end and end up synced back to my computer anyway. 

Initially I was apparently able to change the notebook, but eventually it became frozen from my end (running "fix selected notes" on the shared notebook did not help). 

It apparently happened after I created a duplicate backup of the shared notebook on my computer to preserve the data in case it got deleted from the other computer.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Don Dz said:

It apparently happened after I created a duplicate backup of the shared notebook on my computer to preserve the data in case it got deleted from the other computer.

Bearing in mind that if both devices are running,  and Evernote is syncing regularly on both,  I wonder if you managed to confuse the database by deleting on one machine but the other (before or after the deletion was synced) then popped up and re-added the note as a 'new' note.  My head hurts just trying to work out whether that is even feasible,  but my spider-sense says that two active devices as always bad news...

Hi, I keep having issues with Evernote for Windows (I use the latest and have tried slightly older versions too, 6.24.2.8919 (308919) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954)) locking up and not responding indefinitely while I work on a large note. Only fix i found so far has been to remove all Database folder contents to force the program to rebuild the database, but I hope this is an issue that can be fixed in a future update.

So far I can only gather that the program gets tripped up by the database file and/or syncing. My amateur opinion is that in prior versions, evernote would just restart itself by magically moving from the far left of my taskbar to the far right and it would work again. Lately, the program seems to prefer loading on its own, causing a hard lockup/freezing and not responding. This will happen over and over when I reopen evernote unless I force delete get the program to redownload my entire database and all my notes.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, superphily said:

locking up and not responding indefinitely

Hi.  Welcome to the club.  Something like this issue is affecting my account as well as others.  With Support,  I'm just going through variations on settings and <groan> re-creating the database on my laptop to try to improve.  I'm running a 25GB, 50,000 note data file (and my account just went off to smell the flowers as I opened Tools > Options to look that up). 

My 'freezes' seem to average around 6-8 minutes. 

As a matter of interest what's your OS and database size?  If you search the Forums for other threads on this, several tweaks have been suggested that might help - including the obvious:  make more,  and shorter notes!!

(And we're back: only about 3 minutes out that time!)  ;)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Welcome to the club.  Something like this issue is affecting my account as well as others.  With Support,  I'm just going through variations on settings and <groan> re-creating the database on my laptop to try to improve.  I'm running a 25GB, 50,000 note data file (and my account just went off to smell the flowers as I opened Tools > Options to look that up). 

My 'freezes' seem to average around 6-8 minutes. 

As a matter of interest what's your OS and database size?  If you search the Forums for other threads on this, several tweaks have been suggested that might help - including the obvious:  make more,  and shorter notes!!

(And we're back: only about 3 minutes out that time!)  ;)

I just rebuilt the database. It was at 2GB. I use Windows 10.

I am not a coder, but i suspect that somewhere in the coding of Evernote for Windows, they changed how the program handles accessing the hard drive and handling freezes. I prefer their soft reset or however the program functioned in the past, say 3 months ago, where it would reload itself in the taskbar and magically shift from the left to the right of the taskbar. Weird for sure, but better than an actual long or permanent freeze. Last time I tried to rebuild the database it made it corrupted because it failed partway, but do you think rebuild or optimize database would fix it?

I have honestly never had freezing issues like this until May 2020, whatever the issue is, it stems from how the program has changed to function or how the database file is accessed or organized since May 2020. It used to just hiccup for 10-30 seconds, which is better than freezing for seemingly forever.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, superphily said:

I have honestly never had freezing issues like this until May 2020, whatever the issue is, it stems from how the program has changed to function or how the database file is accessed or organized since May 2020. It used to just hiccup for 10-30 seconds, which is better than freezing for seemingly forever.

Last update I see to EN Windows desktop was mid March to 6.24.2.8919.  Not the best thing in the world, but you can go back to a previous version of EN to test your theory using the filehippo site.  Backup before and all the rest.  Also, any other changes on your machine which might be causing conflicts?  Disk filling up and the like.  Or it could just be the same gremlin that is after @gazumped.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Last update I see to EN Windows desktop was mid March to 6.24.2.8919.  Not the best thing in the world, but you can go back to a previous version of EN to test your theory using the filehippo site.  Backup before and all the rest.  Also, any other changes on your machine which might be causing conflicts?  Disk filling up and the like.  Or it could just be the same gremlin that is after @gazumped.

Oh OK. I tried two versions ago on filehippo. My disk is decently full, 80 to 85% full, but check disk did not find any issues. I also used SMART statistics, no problems there. They did not fix the issue, using an older version.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, superphily said:

Oh OK. I tried two versions ago on filehippo. My disk is decently full, 80 to 85% full, but check disk did not find any issues. I also used SMART statistics, no problems there. They did not fix the issue, using an older version.

Okay.  For whatever reason some folks have speed issues, others don't.  Not clear what the underlying issue might be but it definitely has something to do with EN maintaining the indexes and whatever in the data base, my view anyway based on the disk thrashing.  Fix for me was to get an SSD many years ago, no head movement means faster disk. 

In some cases an 85% full HDD can be the beginnings of a slow down.  Harder for programs to find the free space on disk to read/write when doing clean  up or whatever.  I'm assuming if you open task manager on Windows you will see your disk usage spiking. 

Anyway, not much help, sorry.  I doubt there will be any software fixes from EN in the near term for this.  There are other threads on the forum re tips for trying to improve speed.  One thing in particular I recommend is to stop the Windows indexing function.  This is supposed to help find stuff when using File Explorer but uses more resources than makes sense.  If you haven't stopped it, type Services in the taskbar and scroll down to Windows search.  Right click and select properties, stop the service and select Disabled in Startup type.  May help.

ScreenClip.png.b83a6e254f965c7f16175608d5167117.png

My HDD is actually 75% full (I guessed 85% previously), but I will go through using windirstat to look for things I can remove. I turned off the search service, thanks! Yes my disk usage will get to 100% using evernote and sometimes other programs. Not sure why.

My HDD is 4% fragmented, would that be an issue?

• Level 5*

You are welcome.  Check out what's running on your PC.  EN definitely has issues but there may be some other apps contributing to the problem.  Some apps like to run something in the background from start up that may or may not really be needed.  The more apps running the more competition for the resource.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, superphily said:

I have honestly never had freezing issues like this until May 2020

Possibly a co-incidence,  but my issues started around the same time... maybe it was a Windows change - as @CalS says nothing happened with the Evernote Windows app (that I know of), though they were mentioning lots of back-end server changeover work that has been completed.

Ah well.  I'll work along with Support to see if they come up with anything else - they had a copy log from me. Maybe once we've eliminated all the possible explanations, whatever remains,  no matter how improbable... (sorry; went all Conan Doyle for a moment there..)

There are some shiny new versions of the app coming 'soon*' so maybe the team are busy kicking the tyres on the new model and don't have the time to go back and beat dents out of the old one..  ^_^

* for widely variable definitions of the word... 

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Possibly a co-incidence,  but my issues started around the same time... maybe it was a Windows change - as @CalS says nothing happened with the Evernote Windows app (that I know of), though they were mentioning lots of back-end server changeover work that has been completed.

Ah well.  I'll work along with Support to see if they come up with anything else - they had a copy log from me. Maybe once we've eliminated all the possible explanations, whatever remains,  no matter how improbable... (sorry; went all Conan Doyle for a moment there..)

There are some shiny new versions of the app coming 'soon*' so maybe the team are busy kicking the tyres on the new model and don't have the time to go back and beat dents out of the old one..  ^_^

* for widely variable definitions of the word... 

True, it could have been caused by windows update. There are so many windows updates every month.. I have not tried system restore yet to see if that plays a role though.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, superphily said:

True, it could have been caused by windows update. There are so many windows updates every month.. I have not tried system restore yet to see if that plays a role though.

That would be a last resort for me, too many opportunities for bad things to happen.  Though, who knows, could be the issue.

I am current with EN and Windows, have 47,590 notes as I type, a 25.6 GB data base, an eight year old docked laptop, and the only thing I see resembling a slow down is a brief lag when I close a PDF I've just modified that is stored in an EN note.  I don't have any long text based notes but I do have an SSD and 8 GB of memory and I do shut down any non essential to me services within Windows.  Typically have mail, EN, and a browser open.  I don't know what Twinkie Dust has been sprinkled on my set up for instantaneous response time, I'd share if I could.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn. I'm -cautiously- back after a database restore which (rather impressively) took only 24 hours to download a 50K note database in full. Still have to import my local notebooks from a backup, and compare the backed-up ENEX files from the 'new' database with the ones from the old -looking for any size differences that might signal note issues. Some work still to do,  but looking OK so far....

• Like 1

The database restore let's my program actually work, no fatal crashes. However, the program still freezes up frequently. Basically, it can't even handle me casually typing, it slows down constantly.

• Level 5*
On 6/6/2020 at 9:30 PM, superphily said:

The database restore let's my program actually work, no fatal crashes. However, the program still freezes up frequently. Basically, it can't even handle me casually typing, it slows down constantly.

Similar experience here. Initial impression is that things are better for me - freezes don't last so long,  the app loads faster...things just seem more efficient.  But,  every so often,  Evernote still has the need to go off and smell the flowers.  Plus I have a new query - I just recreated my 50K+ notes database from the server.  The server thinks I have 48K+ notes. ??? - Local Notebooks have not been re-created at this point;  this is just the server database in the cloud -vs- the same database on my HD.  Odd.