Cursor jumping erratically on Ctrl+Left/Right

I have a weird situation now where the cursor doesn't move word-wise as expected when pressing Ctrl+Left/Right.

My Evernote version is 6.23.2.8859 (308859) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954) on Windows 10.

See this screen recording.

Onh5Y334Po.gif.96bec26cf7dc7b9ebda3369ec6515780.gif

What happens is:

• At the start, the cursor is at the end of "index".
  • Ctrl+Left => Cursor is at the start of "index" ✔
  • Ctrl+Left => Cursor is at the start of "worksheet" ✔
  • Ctrl+Left => Cursor is at the start of "index" in "1-index" ✔
  • Ctrl+Left => Cursor is at the start of "1" ✔
  • Ctrl+Left => Cursor jumped up several lines and is now at the end of "ID>"! (should be at the start of "ws_id")
  • Ctrl+Right => Cursor jumped half-way back and is now at the end of "?"! (if anything, it should be at the start of "value")
  • Ctrl+Right => Cursor jumped back and is now at the start of "1" (should be at the start of "ws_id")
  • Ctrl+Right => Cursor is at the start of "index" in "1-index" ✔

I attached an ENEX file to reproduce the problem.

Problem.enex

Those Todo boxes are a bit weird anyway. It is easy to end up with two or none when copying/pasting/insert/deleting lines. Plus, when the cursor is right of the checkbox, moving up/down will put it to the left of the checkbox in the previous/next line, instead of right where I would intuitively expect it.

• Like 1

Good job documenting this bug with steps to reproduce. This may be a new bug, but, these types of bugs have been part of Evernote for 5+ years, persisting through multiple versions of the editor.

Having an editor that reads your mind and anticipates what you're trying to do is great...when it works (like Google Docs, or MS Word, for example) and when Undo works properly so if it guesses wrong you can recover and do what you really want. With the EN editor, neither of these things have been true for a long time.

At this point, they should back off and just have a early 2000 style editor in which every key press does the obvious thing (navigation, formatting, or characters) and it doesn't try to help you with too many shortcuts/autoformatting/AI/etc. nonsense.