Identifying 404/bad URLs

BG Mahesh

Idea

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5

And how ? Calling all links that are saved in the users notebooks by a bot, over and over again ? How often ?

And then ?

Marking the links as dysfunctional ? Replacing them ? Sending the User a Mail that xxx links have gone sour again ? Once, or until user action taken ?

To convert this into a feature request, please elaborate what you think should be added in some more detail.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, BG Mahesh said:

I have been using Evernote for over 9-10 years. There are many URLs in my notebook which no longer work. How to identify such URLs?

In general, why?  You will find out when try to access the link, in the meantime no harm is being done.  I have found that forced pruning of my EN data without some REALLY good productivity reason is of little to no value.  Juice not worth the squeeze.  My world anyway.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If the URL is still there, it will work.

If it is gone, it will produce a 404, or similar.

But because there is no warning "Will cease to work in the next xx days" calling URLs just to have them called will do no good. It will just create load on the net, waste energy and produce CO2 while it does.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:15 PM, PinkElephant said:

And how ? Calling all links that are saved in the users notebooks by a bot, over and over again ? How often ?

And then ?

Marking the links as dysfunctional ? Replacing them ? Sending the User a Mail that xxx links have gone sour again ? Once, or until user action taken ?

To convert this into a feature request, please elaborate what you think should be added in some more detail.

Let Evernote report to me which URLs are 404, I could decide what to do next,

1. Search for the new URL and update it in Evernote

2. The saved note could be so old I may decide to just delete it as it outdated anyway

3. Or just leave it as is because the additional notes made by me are still valuable

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, BG Mahesh said:

Let Evernote report to me which URLs are 404, I could decide what to do next,

1. Search for the new URL and update it in Evernote

2. The saved note could be so old I may decide to just delete it as it outdated anyway

3. Or just leave it as is because the additional notes made by me are still valuable

Same response as in the other thread.

• Thanks 1