Synchronizing the edits in all copies of the same note in different notebooks

koczkaseszti

Idea

If I copy a note to another notebook (so it is in two or more notebooks of my own, or in some shared), then I will have basically the same note, but in different places, because I would like the note to be in all relevant places.

So when I edit that note, I'd like it to update everywhere, in every notebook it is located in, but that doesn't seem to happen. I guess Evernote identifies the copy as a completely independent note, which is fine, but:

is it possible to maybe join the copy/copies to the note/s, so it updates and synchronizes the changes everywhere and I don't have to edit them separately?

If not, I think there should be an option to choose whether you would like it to make the changes everywhere or just in that particular notebook you are editing in.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, koczkaseszti said:

If I copy a note to another notebook (so it is in two or more notebooks of my own, or in some shared), then I will have basically the same note, but in different places, because I would like the note to be in all relevant places.

So when I edit that note, I'd like it to update everywhere, in every notebook it is located in, but that doesn't seem to happen. I guess Evernote identifies the copy as a completely independent note, which is fine, but:

is it possible to maybe join the copy/copies to the note/s, so it updates and synchronizes the changes everywhere and I don't have to edit them separately?

If not, I think there should be an option to choose whether you would like it to make the changes everywhere or just in that particular notebook you are editing in.

Nope.  Each note is unique and can only live in one notebook.  You can put copies in other notebooks but they become individual notes, as you have determined. 

You can use tags to access the same note for different contexts or create notes with the same title in different notebooks and add links in them back to the original note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

What you describe is exactly how NOT to use EN.

In EN you do not  copy notes to have them „in all relevant places“. Instead you use few notebooks, each holding a large number of notes (or be used for special purposes like sharing the content with others). To assign the different views, you use tags.

Example: A note with a receipt can get in my tagging system the tags 2020 (when), Device (what), Invoice (what), Open (to do = pay), Tax (needed for tax declaration), Warranty (need the invoice to claim) and 2022 (warranty expires, check the device before it does). It is only one note in one place, but I will find it through the tags.

In many cases to find the individual note with the receipt the Search function will do, even without tags. But if I want to fetch for example all the stuff I need for my tax declaration next year, a search for the tags 2020 and Tax will produce all the necessary documents - without a single copy.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, koczkaseszti said:

As others pointed out, Tags are a better feature for identifying different contexts for a note    
Copie of notes is a bad process

Instead of note copies, you can use a note link pointing to the original note

• Level 5

There is a mega-link available on the desktops, called table of content.

You pick several notes at the same time (for example from a search, or by simply clicking on a tag in the tag directory), and choose "create note with table of content". This will create a new note containing a list of links to the notes in the selection. The links will follow the note even if moved.

This is useful for a static representation of notes, selected or by search, like a flashlight at a given moment. If later other notes are added (or existing ones tagged), this table will not alter. The new content will not show, even if it meets the criteria.

To have a dynamic view, you can create a search and save it. By this you can repeat the search later, and this will include new or newly tagged notes as well. From the search result, you can again create a static view by the table of content - tool.

Most of my TOCs are only created for a certain task, and later deleted. If you want to keep them, make sure you add sort of a description to know later what is what.