All notebooks show "no matching notes found"

Running Evernote for Windows on two different machines.  One is fine, but the other reports  "no matching notes found" for every notebook I click on.  This is before I type anything in the search window and the note count for the notebook always shows the correct number of notes which are stored in that notebook. 

"no matching notes found" shows up before I type anything in the search field.

Evernote for web behaves properly on this machine, its just the Windows app on this one machine that's a problem.  I've been seeing this for quite a while now just got tired of being forced to use the web client so I decided to see if there were any workarounds.  I'm on 6.23.2.8859 which I believe is the latest.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Rather than spend a lot of time trying to work out where the glitch in the existing system lies,  I'd suggest just syncing (if you need to) then sign out and uninstall Evernote from your gremlinned device;  restart it and then re-download and reinstall*.  Log in with your existing user ID and wait 'till the database syncs / downloads from the server.

* Edit - as Administrator

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'd suggest just syncing (if you need to) then sign out and uninstall Evernote from your gremlinned device;  restart it and then re-download and reinstall*.  Log in with your existing user ID and wait 'till the database syncs / downloads from the server.

* Edit - as Administrator

I logged out, uninstalled and then reinstalled.  Same problem.  I did this before I saw your install as administrator though.  Is this really necessary if I'm installing on an account with administrative access?

• Level 5

I do not think so - my Windows client is running smoothly on normal user accounts. I think the edit-remark was related to the install, not the usage.

However, after the install it may take a while to download the stuff from the server (depending on the volume of the EN data and the internet connection). The client will only be operational when this is done, and the local search index rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, lindend said:

Is this really necessary

...I've seen this recommended by Evernote Support from time to time - don't know if Admin access conveys any more status than an account with Admin rights,  but I suggested it as a 'nuclear' option - putting all the influence you can towards a positive outcome.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Probably it is good / necessary to have Admin status when installing. For using it I do not think it will make a difference.

The EN client is a bit weird in all cases. Usually I need admin status to upgrade an app - not with EN, it installs updates just like that in a normal user environment.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday, I was going to update Evernote to the latest revision but it complained that it was unable to load the database.

I logged out, renamed the database directory, upgraded and after logging back in, a new database was created, synced and all notes were visible again.  So it appears like my database was corrupted and that caused the bugs I originally reported.

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5

Thanks for reporting.

If you hold the ctrl/Strg key before clicking on the help menu, additional options will appear at the bottom of the menu. Among them are options to find and repair database problems. On a Mac the same can be done by holding down the alt/opt key, and then click on help.