scanned documents: pages order swapped

Hello,

anyway to avoid the change of order of scanned documents?

Almost every time a scan a document with more than 2 pages  when the respective images are added to the note their order is scrambled - its a bit frustrating to try take the photos in order and then chaos.

Thank you

26 minutos atrás, gazumped disse:

Hi.  When you say 'scan',  how are you generating the images?  In Evernote's camera feature? Your device camera? A third party app?  And are these JPG or PNG images, or PDF pages?

I just noticed this - lets call it bug - using the built-in camera yes.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, lsilvam said:

using the built-in camera yes

There are two ways to use the built in camera - open Evernote and add a new camera note,  or take one or more pictures and add the images from the Gallery on your phone.  Using Evernote should keep the images in the order they were taken;  using the Gallery you have no control over the order they upload in,  though it should be possible to re-order by drag and drop them later.

9 hours ago, gazumped said:

open Evernote and add a new camera note,

that's how I use it, and it's when the pages are swapped. I wonder if it is related to uploading issues were lighter photos will upload faster and thus causing a change in the order; 

I test this again just now, and it appears that the order that the photos are added is inverse to the order you take them: the first one goes to the bottom of the note and the last one stays on top. Maybe there is an option to change this somewhere...

• Level 5*

You're right, and I apologise - I got the impression from somewhere that Evernote could behave like some other applications (and Scannable on iOS) and would 'scan' a complete document to PDF as a coherent file.  I just ran a couple of quick tests taking manual pictures and in all cases - if you have your camera format set to images - you'll get them saved in last / previous / first order.  Set your camera to PDF documents in Settings first however,  and you get pages in order...

All Notes > Settings > Camera > Document File Format - choose PDF (or Images & PDF) but remember this is a 'sticky' setting.  If (like me) you want just images from your camera - it's quicker,  and I mostly use a scanner for documents over 1 page - you need to switch back after scanning a document.

There's also an 'automatic' setting for scanning (the square-ish icon at top right of the camera picture) which puts the camera into a more Scannable mode but I couldn't run a test on that - it's a bit too dark around here to get good pictures!

56 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Notes > Settings > Camera > Document File Format - choose PDF (or Images & PDF)

Great! Thanks - I knew an option had to me somewhere - it would make sense for devs to this thing of inverse order all the time (they knew that wouldn't be how users want to scan things). Awesome! 

I tried and by changing on the fly on the icon on top right it works as expected if it's a doc or an image.

Thanks @gazumped

• Like 1
On 2/12/2020 at 8:12 AM, gazumped said:

You're right, and I apologise - I got the impression from somewhere that Evernote could behave like some other applications (and Scannable on iOS) and would 'scan' a complete document to PDF as a coherent file.  I just ran a couple of quick tests taking manual pictures and in all cases - if you have your camera format set to images - you'll get them saved in last / previous / first order.  Set your camera to PDF documents in Settings first however,  and you get pages in order...

All Notes > Settings > Camera > Document File Format - choose PDF (or Images & PDF) but remember this is a 'sticky' setting.  If (like me) you want just images from your camera - it's quicker,  and I mostly use a scanner for documents over 1 page - you need to switch back after scanning a document.

There's also an 'automatic' setting for scanning (the square-ish icon at top right of the camera picture) which puts the camera into a more Scannable mode but I couldn't run a test on that - it's a bit too dark around here to get good pictures!

In the Android app, under Camera settings, there's no option for Document File Format. The only options are:
Activate multi-shot

Save to photo gallery

Moleskine notebook

Post-it notes

Business cards

I'm trying to scan in 90+ pages of a bound notebook and trying to find an option other than cutting the pages out and sending them through a scanner... I've tried taking pictures of two page spreads, individual pages, etc. but I either get unreadable pages with the automatic camera (which tries to take pictures as I'm flipping pages, then stores them in the wrong order so I have to swap them in the note later) or have to take each picture manually (which also has the mis-ordering problem). Any ideas?

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I think if you uncheck Activate multi-shot it will quit taking pics while you turn pages. There's a document setting actually on the camera screen itself, the icon at top right: if it shows a mountain/landscape, tap it to change to a document icon. That will cause it to frame a document to photograph (it's important to have a contrasting background behind the page). With one or more photos taken, you can tap the images at the bottom of the screen to preview them, and on the preview screen there is a Save As option, where one of the choices is Document. Hope this is some help!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

It takes some practice,  but I have used the 'auto' mode to scan a multi-page document.  The execution rather depends on the document and your situation.  I did this on a clear desk where I could get good light and a contrasting background,  and could hold my phone a reasonably comfortable distance from the paper and still see the screen.  Then it was a question of starting the process,  grabbing a page,  moving or turning to the next,  waiting for the shot to line itself up,  then moving again...

I got most pages correctly,  missed one (I found out later) and a couple twice - that camera is sneaky!  But NAPS2 came to my rescue.  It's a free PDF reader that splits a PDF file into separate pages and allows you to drag and drop them back into correct order.  It also allows you to import additional pages into the order.  I corrected the issues and uploaded my revised file.

That's not to say that I don't explore as many options to the camera approach as possible - printing from a web source,  or downloading an existing PDF is my favourite.  When that fails I move on to an industrial strength staple extractor and a very sharp knife to feed my Fujitsu scanner.  If there's absolutely,  terminally,  positively and totally no other option I'll dig out the phone.  🙄