Web Mass Import or Lite/Slim Windows & Mac Import

Chaim

Idea

I am leaning towards using the web client almost exclusively, but use the full blown Windows version for importing. Is there a way to make a slim Windows/Mac importer and/or allow semi-automated import using the web client? Even if we had to click something/choose a folder/import en-mass, that would be great. This would save massive disk space for the installed programs and let Evernote be more of a true cloud/web application.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. When you say 'importing',  what are you importing and how do you currently do that on the Windows/ Mac desktops?  Web clips from the browser go to the online database,  so you'll see those pretty quickly in Evernote web.  Files can be added to the installed app,  but equally can be emailed (if you're a subscriber) directly to the server.  Not sure what else you'd need.. though I must say I prefer having a local copy of my data handy on one hard drive at least - backups come in handy in case something catastrophic goes wrong...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Chaim said:

Is there a way to make a slim Windows/Mac importer and/or allow semi-automated import using the web client?

Yes, it is possible; but I don't know of any apps    
Evernote provides the API's to create notes without needing the Evernote client app   
Info at https://dev.evernote.com

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, jefito said:

In Windows, you might look at the Evernote provided ENScript.exe utility

On Macs, we have Applescript.      
However it's a front-end for the Evernote client, and the import is to the local database

The issue is my slow migration away from Windows/Mac to Linux while still being able to use a scan-to-network scanner. I can drop the files from the scanner, but without Import Folders in Windows, I would need to e-mail and/or import individually through the web. It would be good if Evernote had a utility like other sites - Google Drive, Shutterfly, and many others - where you can drag and drop multiple files to the web client and they are imported.