Evernote Helper - not saving immediately into main app

So I use Evernote Helper a lot in the main Mac status bar for notes on the go, odd bits of code etc.  When I click Save to Evernote, the content disappears and I can start a new note - great.

The challenge is that when you open Evernote, the notes do not appear by default, the only whay they appear is by clicking Save to Evernote in Helper with the main app running. This is annoying for two reasons - 1. sometimes I save write and save content and know it's been saved, but never open the main Evernote app before I try to locate it on my phone at another time.  2. I don't always want to close out my current Helper note to gain access to the previously saved Helper notes, but I have no option.

Is this a bug, an expected outcome of the set-up.  Or is there a way for me to address this.  I have been using Evernote for years, and love love love it, but this has become a little tedious of late (especially the non-access to saved notes on the move).

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

As a side note my 'sync' wheel now constantly spins in the main App, where as before it would only do it on launch or if clicked.  I am using the latest version of Evernote.

• Level 5

Thanks for posting. About the main issue, I can confirm it from my MacBook Pro. Probably the Helper does write the new notes into some stack, and can only create the new notes when the main app is open. Helper is not an autonomous program, it is embedded into the main app, and can only be installed by the options in the main apps settings. So probably it is no bug, but for sure it is not intuitive either.

About the sync Intervall: On my Mac it syncs right after I open the app, and then every time and then. There seems to be no fixed Intervall in settings, so probably it syncs when new notes are created, or existing ones modified. The syncing wheel stays pretty quiet on my Mac, not much traffic created here. If yours is always turning, I am not sure whether there is any „active“ stuff allowed in EN that would cause a background sync going on to keep notes up to date to changes, like bulletin boards, blogs, news feed or something like this.

Maybe a question you could ask to support.

Thanks @DTLow seems thanks to your ticket support is aware, but as yet have not addressed it in the past 15 months.

@PinkElephant I also had an issue with EvernoteSpotlight crashing at least once a day.  I used the forum to get a solution to that which involved a complete removal of EN using a tool called AppCleaner and rebooting and re-installing. So far this has been successful, sadly this has not stopped the sync wheel from spinning continually. I only use EN for standard notes etc, and don't have any linked functionality which would cause data to be transferring.  It's not a major issue, but thought things call all be linked somehow. Thanks for your thoughts.

• Level 5

Just a thought: If this happened recently, and depending on the size of your database and the internet connection, maybe EN is still re-syncing the server data to your Mac. It will first download the header data, but the complete notes and attachments may take a while to complete. EN does keep a complete copy of the data from the server on those computers using one of the desktop clients (Windows, Mac).