Am I able to move my note into a notebook that was shared with me?

littlebirdprint

Idea

I can't find the answer in documentation or via web search.

Am I able to move or copy a note from my collection, into a notebook that has been shared with me? As far as I can tell there is no option - when I try to use the "move" note menu, I'm only able to select from notebooks I own. The shared notebook does not show up. I also don't seem to be able to make a copy of the note to put into the shared notebook?

If there is no way, I may suggest this for a feature request - has it been relevant for anyone else?

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. Here's the Help article on notebook sharing: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314748. Scroll down to the section on setting permissions. Judging from that (I don't have personal experience), it looks like the person who created the notebook would have to give you permission to edit it, not just view it.

• Level 5

My wife and I share a notebook for our recipes. I have opened it in my account, then shared it to my wife. We both use the notes, write cooking experiences into them etc. She has the top level of sharing on „my“ notebook.

For sharing, there are 3 levels:

1. View, not more
  2. Edit
  3. Edit and share to others

Somebody on level 3 can do nearly as much as the owner of the notebook.

Notes inherit the level of the Notebook. However, one can share a notebook on a minor level, but decide to push a single note further up, for example have the notebook on view, but a single note on edit.

One last hint: Never delete a shared notebook with existing shares. First revoke all shares, and only then delete it. If not, the person to whom a note(book) was shared will not be able to delete it, and you yourself can’t do it neither because the „handle“ does no longer exist.