Dates / Variables in Templates?

floodmeadows

Idea

Hi,

Not sure if this has already been suggested but I had a quick search and couldn't see it...

I've been using Evernote for years for just general note taking.

Now I want to use it for a daily journal to review my workday and think of improvements to the way I work.

I've made a "journal" template and want to file each entry under the day's date. I realise that each note has a "created date" and "updated date", but I want to file the notes by date in the title.

When creating a new note, I can just use the shortcuts described here to insert the date: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004877-How-to-add-date-and-time-stamps-to-your-notes

However, given that I'm using a template, it would be really useful to be able to insert some kind of code into the template that was replaced by the current date (and time?) when the template is applied.

Is this already possible somehow? If so, where can I find out more about this?

Is there another easy work-around that I could use?

Or would this be a useful feature that others would use?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 2/3/2020 at 10:37 AM, floodmeadows said:

Is this already possible somehow? If so, where can I find out more about this?

No.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:37 AM, floodmeadows said:

Depending on your definition of easy you can accomplish this with a text expander like PhraseExpress.  It's a matter of representing the key strokes/mouse movements in a macro, what PhraseExpress refers to as a phrase. 

The other thing that templates in their current incarnation don't include are tags.  Which is more of a PITA if you ask me.  🤷‍♂️

• Level 5*
On 2/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, floodmeadows said:

I've made a "journal" template and want to file each entry under the day's date. 

There's no support for variables in templates; I added my vote to the request

My work-around is AppleScript on a Mac.  I use variables in my templates
The screenshot is my Daily Journal note with generated date in the title and contents
597527184_ScreenShot2020-02-17at11_04_17AM.png.91aadd52cab488ee802a4f57952c197b.png
The script also assigns notebook/tags etc.

btw  I don't use the Template feature   
         My templates are notes   
          tagged with !Type-Template

Variables would be hugely useful.

For example: I keep work logs in Evernote. As part of those logs I have references that I need to repeat across note "chunks", like, say, a URL of an issue tracker, a brief issue description, etc. That same link is used in multiple places. If I could replace $ISSUE_URL$, $ISSUE_DESCRIPTION$ (or whatever random syntax would be used) during note creation it would decrease busywork considerably and keep me in flow.

On 8/21/2020 at 2:33 PM, Roque Solis said:

can you please share your template for Journal entries?  I've been searching for one for Evernote but nowhere can I find one to download.  

Thanks in advance!

Roque

Hi @Roque Solis

My template is really basic - just the following:

----

<ALT>+<SHIFT>+D
What went well?
Disappointments?
Things you'd do different next time:
Anything else?

----

I just created a note with this text and saved it as a template.

Good luck finding something that suits you :)