Multi-select

CausticTies

Idea

The ability to select multiple instances of separated words/phrases so we can colour/underline/etc more efficiently. Right now, I have to tediously go through the process of italicizing/underlining every line one by one which is time-consuming. Please consider implementing this feature.

11 replies to this idea

On 2/3/2020 at 12:16 PM, CausticTies said:

The ability to select multiple instances of separated words/phrases so we can colour/underline/etc more efficiently. Right now, I have to tediously go through the process of italicizing/underlining every line one by one which is time-consuming. Please consider implementing this feature.

As a workaround to multiple cursor issue, you can use CTRL + D key combination after selecting a text you want to format. When you press this key, you will get a dialog box that will lets you select font, font style, size, effect, and color. To apply changes you selected in this dialog box to another word or phrase, just select it/them and press F4.

342618179_controldkeycombo2.png.808947bb1a6abf39d1eb67373c4bf3ea.png

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, keisoko said:

As a workaround to multiple cursor issue, you can use CTRL + D key combination after selecting a text you want to format. When you press this key, you will get a dialog box that will lets you select font, font style, size, effect, and color. To apply changes you selected in this dialog box to another word or phrase, just select it/them and press F4.

Great tip! Never knew this one.

Thank you. It saved me  a lot of time and effort. The only thing that will make it even better in IMHO if the color picker in the dialog box had an option to select more colors or maybe was the same as it is in the format toolbar. But I guess I'll deal.

6 hours ago, keisoko said:

The only thing that will make it even better in IMHO if the color picker in the dialog box had an option to select more colors

I remember when that was implemented, I argued that we should allow any color (use the standard Windows color picker!). Product Mgmt at the time decided that would be too confusing to the normal user... (I think the other argument was that all systems might not support that, so we'll just use a minimal subset of colors.) Obviously, I lost the argument...

16 hours ago, keisoko said:

To apply changes you selected in this dialog box to another word or phrase, just select it/them and press F4.

Thanks for the great tip.  Just a question: what does the F4 key do by itself?  I was unable to locate an explanation in the Help page for Keyboard shortcuts in Evernote for Windows, or in the program menu choices.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Thanks for the great tip.  Just a question: what does the F4 key do by itself?  I was unable to locate an explanation in the Help page for Keyboard shortcuts in Evernote for Windows, or in the program menu choices.

Doesn't seem to be documented, and I can't find it in any menus (standard or right-click), but MS Word is probably where it  -- or its inspiration -- comes from: https://techforluddites.com/f4-the-magic-ms-office-key-no-one-knows-about/

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

It's a keyboard shortcut for the repeat button. It is a last button on the note formatting toolbar from left to right.

14281966_F4-Therepeatbutton.thumb.png.80d96a2aae33119cb500432f7bc1a62c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, keisoko said:

It's a keyboard shortcut for the repeat button. It is a last button on the note formatting toolbar from left to right.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed before that it was there.  I wonder if there are other little known MsWord shortcuts/hotkeys that work in Evernote, aside from standard wordprocessing keys we all use.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, keisoko said:

F4 also appears to work in conjunction with the other commands in the editing toolbar. as well as ones in the Formatting menu, including Remove and Simplify formatting.

The CNTL + D shortcut no longer works, so this hack doesn't either.

Meanwhile, there is still no way to select multiple texts.

This fact, in and of itself, shows how clueless the Evernote staff is when it comes to text editing features. 

All they need to do is have a REAL writers, REAL editors and others who actually WORK WITH TEXT to test the app.

Not Evernote designers! When it comes to editing features, they suck.

• Level 5

There are many editors that only allow to select one passage of text at a time. Typical word processors (MS Word, Apple Pages) do not allow for more. And they are build for writing only, EN is build for other purposes, mainly to organize information.

So all these companies that develop programs for writing text are clueless, in your opinion ? Good that the world has your insight ... 

If you want a specialized editor that allows multi text selection, go and get one.