Display the note name on the new tab, instead of notebook name

BrooklynBen

Idea

53 replies to this idea

This gotta be some kind of a bug in Evernote's system? I mean: why on Earth should the tab be named after the notebook and not the note!? Right now the tab system is pretty much useless cos when I have several notes open from the same notebook I spent too much time going from tab to tab in order to find the note I was looking for. 

Evernote Team, please fix this bug ASAP!! 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Adrien Be said:

Where should feature requests be posted?

You're posting in the feature requests forum,      
in a discussion of a request for tab names        
To  indicate your support for the  request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Currently Evernote for Mac allows opening many notes in tab mode (similar to Safari).  However the tabs headers all read "All notes-Evernote".  It would greatly help to change the tab title to the Note title.  

When you enable the tabbed view inside Evernote, it would be more useful for the tabs to display the name of the specific 'note' you're working on, rather than the name of the Notebook. This is especially useful where you're working on multiple notes within the same notebook (that you've split across various tabs). As in the example below, you can see that both tabs display "All Notes" and "Diary" however its the same case if I was working on two different notes in say the same notebook "Diary"

This can get a bit confusing, because if they both display the same name, you have to then click on each of the tabs to find out which one it was that you were working on. 

My recommendation is to essentially display the name of the Note, or you can show the path of the note i.e. Diary > 12102017 just to make this feature that bit more useful (just like how we currently have it when you open a note in a new window). The tabbed view becomes less useful if you have a number of notebooks and notes inside them that you might be working on at the same time and therefore harder to manage. 

I've also attached a screenshot of what the "open in a new window" looks like. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 1.13.03 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 2.49.51 pm.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 2017-10-12 at 6:53 AM, jaswinder-s said:

When you enable the tabbed view inside Evernote, it would be more useful for the tabs to display the name of the specific 'note' you're working on, rather than the name of the Notebook.

On Macs, the tabs do not hold "the specific note you're working on".  
If you need this, open the note in its own window

If you open a tab, you will see a list of notes.  
The tab title reflects the list criteria; All Notes, Notebook Name, Tag Name

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, sinetqnlap said:

when I open a new tab, the tab taken its name from the notebook; so if I have to open more notes from the same notebook, all the tabs will have the same name
The best thing will be have the tab named with the note's name

It's a Mac thing

The tab is not a single note.  It's a note list; a notebook or shortcut

@DTLow describes the current behavior, but this does not fix our issue...  and btw On Macs, the tabs do not hold "the specific note you're working on".   is not true. The tabs do hold the information about which note is opened in that tab, because when I go back to an old tab, it still displays the correct note, and did not reset to the first note of the list for instance.

We want to be able to work on different notes in parallel. Two possible solutions:

1) give us the possibility to "open note in a new tab"  (instead of just "in a new window" like currently)

2) give us the option to make tab names reflect the note currently opened in the list of the tab, instead of the list criteria

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
55 minutes ago, hjma29 said:

same here. still not fixed?

Still no change.

There's two types of tabs

1. Note Lists      > title shows note list information 
  2. Single Notes  > title shows note title
  • Level 5*

There are two types of windows; note and note list

Tabs in the note window show the name of the note.1128959411_ScreenShot2019-02-08at08_54_42.png.b2244df37b617b94e0d055ae62f07b5a.png

Open notes in a separate window and Merge all Windows

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

There are two types of windows; note and note list

Tabs in the note window show the name of the note.

You can't open tabs in a note window. If I have a project, I have a notbook for it. Let's say it has 30 notes. I want wto work on a couple of them at the same time. I therefore want two tabs. I dont want the tabs to be labelled identically! It's STUPID.

I'd just like to add my support for this to be fixed.  I really can't believe this has been left like this for so long – it's such an obvious fault.  I do academic work with evernote, and frequently end up with six or more tabs open at once, all of which normally say "all notes", which is infuriating, and a drain on my workflow.

1 hour ago, leosteeds said:

I'd just like to add my support for this to be fixed.  I really can't believe this has been left like this for so long – it's such an obvious fault.  I do academic work with evernote, and frequently end up with six or more tabs open at once, all of which normally say "all notes", which is infuriating, and a drain on my workflow.

Oh that's no good, you need to try having them as separate windows instead, just double click on the list of notes. I can have two side by side like that. Not for 6 obviously. I have my computer set so if I move the cursor to the corner, all windows are shown. Not as good as a fix, but better that 6 tabs all named the same.

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, mrs jones said:

Oh that's no good, you need to try having them as separate windows instead, just double click on the list of notes. I can have two side by side like that.

To merge the windows, select Evernote > Window > Merge All Windows1982414256_ScreenShot2019-02-12at10_03_22.png.7a4a1e59c4148c9be00d86320beb6b02.png

Thanks both.  This might be a useful workaround.  But it doesn't really solve the problem for me.  I like to work quickly, with many tabs open, and I'm frequently changing the content of each one.  Having to open them as windows and then merge each time seems like a very cumbersome and unnecessary blockage in the workflow.  It seems like it should be such a simple fix – especially because this already works in note windows.  Let's hope they manage to sort this soon.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, leosteeds said:

Thanks both.  This might be a useful workaround.  But it doesn't really solve the problem for me.  I like to work quickly, with many tabs open, and I'm frequently changing the content of each one.  Having to open them as windows and then merge each time seems like a very cumbersome and unnecessary blockage in the workflow.  It seems like it should be such a simple fix – especially because this already works in note windows.  Let's hope they manage to sort this soon.

Well it's not ideal and they should fix it, but as a workaround it's pretty damn good. It only takes a couple of seconds to merge a new window. You could eve make a shortcut for it if you do it a lot.

i second WillyB &  jaswinder-s

"open note in new tab" (via contextmenu or menu->note) should do what it says: open a new tab and show only the note within this tab (without any nonse on the left like "all notes", "notebooks", "shared with me", "tags", "work chat"; via menu->view) — otherwise tabs get completely useless as the tabs title does not reflect the node it currently shows

you can think of this as "open note in new window" (which actually opens a new window and only shows the note within, without any nonsense on the left) and then moving thios window into another as a tab --> a behaviour any and every web browser i know of offers

plz evernote get your sh*t together, thanx

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, tomizza said:

you can think of this as "open note in new window" 

Paraphrasing Yoda   Do. Or do not. There is no think.

Hi,

First of all, I'm sorry for my weak English.

Just I want to point out something I find it a little strange about "Open Note in New Tab" feature. What I notice that if I opened a note in a new tab, that the tab have no meaningful name, no matter how many tabs I open, all of them will share the same name (All Notes). And that's obviously not very helpful, I think the straightforward solution is that each tab should show the note title itself. Right? :)image.thumb.png.692b26e533203199afec894bf7f1560e.png

Thanks in advance,

Waleed

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, waleedalbaz said:

I think the straightforward solution is that each tab should show the note title itself. Right? :)

Roger that.  It is so obvious that it makes one wonder if the developer of this feature ever tested or used it???

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, waleedalbaz said:

Just I want to point out something I find it a little strange about "Open Note in New Tab" feature. What I notice that if I opened a note in a new tab, that the tab have no meaningful name, no matter how many tabs I open, all of them will share the same name (All Notes).

I'm moving this discussion to the Mac forum

There are two types of windows in Evernote; Note List and Note

You posted a screenshot of a note list window, with three note list tabs 
The tabs show the note list descriptions

Here's a screenshot of the note window with three note tabs
1000725350_ScreenShot2019-04-19at15_29_53.png.c124e42541653c9ad29550ccf84618ca.pngYou'll notice in the note window, the note titles are displayed

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Jon123 said:

Now they just say "All Notes". I agree this would be helpful.

There are two types of tabs; note list and note

"All notes" is a note list tab

Note tabs show the note title.
For note tabs,  open the note in it's own window

Yes please....i specifically came here to say as a power user of Evernote with multiple notes always open in tabs...please can we have the tabs say the name of the active note you are in. They all say All Notes which makes it frustrating to find and remember what you are working on.  

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Justin Driedger said:

They all say All Notes

They are note list tabs

To get the active note name, open a note tab i.e. open the note in a separate window

• Level 5*
On 8/30/2019 at 5:13 PM, DTLow said:

There are two types of tabs; note list and note

"All notes" is a note list tab

Note tabs show the note title.
For note tabs,  open the note in it's own window

Though accurate, I personally think this implementation is confusing.  I have yet to see a need for a note "list" tab.  Personally, I would find it much more useful to see the title of the note in the tab without the need to open the note in it's own window ... my 2 cents.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

I personally think this implementation is confusing

Agreed; it is confusing
afaik  Evernote never gave any details/expanation on this feature and we had to figure it out ourselves

>> I have yet to see a need for a note "list" tab.

Likewise, I never use it - my tabs are all in the note window

• Level 5*
On 12/4/2019 at 4:51 PM, JonBlanck said:

I second this idea. Please change tabs so they display the note name or at least give us an option to choose. 

13 minutes ago, szibetti said:

I very much second this suggestion! please implement this simple change!

To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

The screenshot shows a note window with 3 tabs

1194725226_ScreenShot2020-04-16at7_43_04AM.png.57df110a0a2844634e1cd922cb478b59.png

I second this request. This tab feature is a great conceptt, but if I open multiple tabs from the same notebook, the tabs all have the same name. The tabs should be named after the note, not after the notebook. Please fix this. It does not appear that the inventor of this feature ever tested this.

Hello,

I like the tab-based viewing of Evernote. However, when I open multiple tabs from the same notebook, they all share the name of the notebook. That makes them impossible to navigate. The tabs should be named after the note, not after the notebook in which the note resides. Please fix this. It does not appear that the developer of this feature ever bothered to try it out himself/herself.

Thank you,

David S

Please have the tab labels show the note title, rather than the notebook title. (and/or allow preview-on-hover on the tabs)?

These tabs (see below) are useless for navigation.

I've been an evernote user since the company was two people with a booth at MacWorld in SF.

screenshot-1703.png

Edited by creon
typos
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, creon said:

Why have the tab labels show the note title, rather than the notebook title?

I merged your post with an existing discussion   
To indicate support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Your screenshot shows tabs in a note list window   
Tabs in a note window show the note title

• Level 5

Then better start believing.

We have threads here with votes in the 3 digits, open much longer.

Currently the focus at EN is on consolidating and modernizing the existing setup, not creating snippets of new code just because a few people would like to get it. I think it would be a nightmare if EN would start to implement what people thought they might need here in the forum.

This does not mean we users can’t propose stuff here - but it means that it is not going to happen just because somebody wrote a feature request.

On 8/20/2020 at 10:35 PM, PinkElephant said:

This does not mean we users can’t propose stuff here - but it means that it is not going to happen just because somebody wrote a feature request.

Where should feature requests be posted?

As a user, I would love to use Evernote just like I use Firefox: a multiple tabs open to quickly switch between topics.