How to block sync to devices I don't own

Maryam_ian

Idea

Hello! 

A device that I do not own appears to be syncing to my evernote. I only use my Android and laptop for evernote (I have the basic account). However, ever few days an iPhone pops up as a synced device and I have to unsync it which uses up one of my monthly un-syncing allowances. 

Is there a way to block the other device? I'm not sure how it's even connecting!

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

There is a known issue with an „iPhone“ (which is not an iPhone but a disguise used by a hacker group) to access EN accounts. They obviously use passwords stolen in one of the many breaches at other services. EN itself has no home made security issue. They connect through the internet to your data in the EN cloud, which is what you see when you log into the web client.

To fix it, first go to the web client and change your password to a new one, that must be unique (and this means really unique, not just a variation of something else by exchanging a letter here and a number there) and strong (long enough, not from a dictionary, etc. Good ones are 15 characters or longer, completely random with lower+upper case, numbers and symbols). This will already lock out the access by any third party.

Think about using 2FA as an additional layer of security. This means as well you will receive a message if somebody tries to enter, because you will receive a 2FA-code without having initiated it. And who wants in has no chance without the additional code send to your smartphone.

When your account is safe, then you can unsync the unknown device for good. But changing the PW first is important, because this already locks out the intruder. Even when they still show up, access is denied.

Finally think about using a good password manager in the future, to avoid reusing passwords or choose weak ones because you can’t keep track otherwise. This is no solution today, so you need a second brain that keeps track of all that access data needed.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

It may help, but it is important to first change the password. This will effectively lock the other device out, even before revoking it.

If the password (that must have been used to enter) remains the same, the foreign device can reestablish access to the account. And one day the allowed syncs for Basic are used up, creating a restriction for the own devices as well.

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It may help, but it is important to first change the password. This will effectively lock the other device out, even before revoking it.

If the password (that must have been used to enter) remains the same, Wegmans Connect the foreign device can reestablish access to the account. And one day the allowed syncs for Basic are used up, creating a restriction for the own devices as well.

This means as well you will receive a message if somebody tries to enter, because you will receive a 2FA-code without having initiated it. And who wants in has no chance without the additional code send to your smartphone.

When your account is safe, then you can unsync the unknown device for good. But changing the PW first is important, because this already locks out the intruder. Even when they still show up, access is denied.

This keep happening to me. I have a Android and Laptop devices, and a "iPhone" device is syncing to my account even if I change my password (pw with different words/symbols)

Having an SMS/email message authentication method or an option to block device types would be great. Unfortunately I feel unsafe using Evernote.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Bruno Illipronti said:

even if I change my password (pw with different words/symbols)

Are you keeping the password safe - only using it for the Evernote account?

Your account can only be accessed if the password is known