Premium account, no more space

Sabre

Hello, I have a Premium account and I have run out of space (number of notebooks).  To increase this space, can I create another account to link to the first one or do I have to switch to Business?  Thank you

• Level 5*

1000 notebooks for a single user is a lot (I use roughly 25 across my work and personal accounts, with some shared in my ~11 year Evernote tenure). You can create a second account, and get another 1000, but there's some awkwardness with using two accounts at once; you'll need to manage sharing of all the new notebooks, for one, plus managing all those notebooks in Evernote's essentially flat notebook structure must be a pain as it is. A business account will give you 10,000 (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247), but will be more expensive (~$15/user per month, 2 users minimum. I'm not as familiar with the Business stuff as I am with normal personal Evernote, but geez, why so many notebooks?

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, Sabre said:

Hello, I have a Premium account and I have run out of space (number of notebooks).  To increase this space, can I create another account to link to the first one or do I have to switch to Business?  Thank you

You need to rethink your organization strategy

Evernote provides two fields in the note metadata; Notebooks and Tags
Tags are the primary organization tool, with a limit of 100,000      
Other benefits; Multiple tags per note     
                           Hierarchy - unlimited levels

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

In general everybody may use EN as he wants to - but the organisational concept does NOT mainly rest on notebooks.

EN organizes notes by tags - that function like multidimensional notebooks. So if you have a normal use case, you should rethink your way to use notebooks. By this you can easily solve the 1.000-notebook issue you face. You can have 100.000 tags, so you will not run out of options any time soon.

A business account would probably do no good, because it means one more account for you, but one that is strictly separated from your personal account, and that comes with an administrative overhead you do not need as an individual user.

Notebooks should only be used for a very general organisation of your notes. There are good examples with a 5-digit-number of notes that are doing so by only appr. 10 notebooks. Personally I use more notebooks, currently about 30. But the number is decreasing because from time to time I eliminate notebooks with few notes. To eliminate a notebook, the easiest way is to create a tag with the same name, tag all notes in that notebook, and move the notes to a more general notebook.

Notebooks are however the main tool to set up special uses like shared notebooks (using information jointly with other users), local notebooks (that will not sync to the EN server) or with the mobile clients offline notebooks (that will be available even without an internet connection). This are good reasons to set up new notebooks.

As an example: You may keep your active projects in one notebook each, because you share this notebook with the team of each project. Maybe you will have 10 or 15 active projectXYZ notebooks, each shared to other people, in a stack called Projects. But once a project is done, and the share no longer needed, you can withdraw the share, tag all notes in that notebook with Project12345 and move them all to a huge Project_Archive-notebook. You are still able to locate alle notes related to that project, but you keep your notebook list at bay.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Have to agree - if you have 1,000 notebooks,  you're doing something wrong.  I used to have about 5 notebooks for 48,500 notes - the majority in the default notebook,  the rest in 'shared out' or 'work in progress' notebooks - the latter being temporary anyway. 

I recently embraced another organisational method and threw caution to the winds to give a separate notebook  to whatever the 'focus' of the content might be - a person or company,  a project or a specific event.  I was convinced I'd be running out,  but surprisingly there must only be around 100 notebooks now...

As a subscriber however,  and assuming you use a desktop,  it's fairly easy to switch between two or more accounts,  and even have two (maybe more) accounts open at the same time to drag and drop notes between them.  I've done that (two accounts) with one premium and the basic account I use for testing.

Switching between accounts on mobile devices is a whole other issue and not (IMHO) at all practical.

A business account is also a whole new level of complexity that might be fine for a group,  but is probably impractical for an individual.

• Thanks 1