Remove Cell Phone Number from Profile?

PapaTango

Idea

Hi,

Is it possible to remove my cell phone number from "Security Summary"?

I've been using Evernote for over 9 years and I never had my cell phone number on my account. I recently was forced to add it to enable 2-Step verification.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Since the use of Authenticator apps is exclusive for paid accounts, you can choose:

- Upgrade to a paid account, switch 2FA to an authenticator app

- Quit using 2FA (which I think is no good idea ...), skip the mobile number needed to send you codes for 2FA

Probably none of these 2 options is to your liking - but when using a powerful service free of charge, sometimes options are limited.

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since the use of Authenticator apps is exclusive for paid accounts, you can choose:

That surprises me, because I have a free account and I use an authenticator app.

I just did a quick search on Evernote site to find this information and I found this: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157

I'm attaching a screenshot from the link above to this message just in case someone updates that page and people come here to read my post and think I made a mistake.

evernote.png

That states free accounts can use authenticator app. So, back to my original question, how do I remove my phone number from my account?

Moreover, the free account does not support SMS. So, why Evernote forced me to enter my phone number to enable 2 - Step verification?

• Level 5

There is obviously conflicting information in the help database.

About the phone number, no idea. Maybe somebody else can help - but note that this is a user forum, so EN staff may or may not read and answer this.

You can go for one month to a paid account, and post a support ticket.

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There is obviously conflicting information in the help database.

About the phone number, no idea. Maybe somebody else can help - but note that this is a user forum, so EN staff may or may not read and answer this.

You can go for one month to a paid account, and post a support ticket.

It seems the conflicting information in the help database is not the only issue Evernote has. I do have the "Evernote Basic" account, which is free.

So, if it is true what you said that 2-Step Verification is available only for paid customers, then why am I able to enable it?

304813735_freeaccount.png.f9e04e94dab4d88cbf2d65551110515d.png

1957726188_GoogleAuthenticator.thumb.png.1f4ca66b416f95124dadf1b0a4058db5.png1957726188_GoogleAuthenticator.thumb.png.1f4ca66b416f95124dadf1b0a4058db5.png

Considering the lack of help in the Evernote Community Forums, the mixed information on Evernote website, and the lost of trust in Evernote for collecting my private phone number without a reason and not allowing me to delete it from my account, I had no option then to migrate all my notes to another notes application which offer everything I had on Evernotes, plus 2-Factor Authentication without providing my phone number and all this for free. I'm not going to say which application I replaced Evernote with because that's not the point here, and also I don't want to look like I just came here to advertise another app.

I already deleted all my notes, emptied the trash and close my Evernote account.

Thanks Evernote for all this almost 9 years of using this app.

Goodbye!

For any future people with same problem - here's a simple way to work around it (which I use)  - simply instead of using your own phone number use one of those "receive sms online" services. They change numbers every 3 months and once they does it, the old number will become unusable.

I personally do this for security concerns and it works.

• Thanks 1