Evernote didn't save and I lost work

I've been trying to use Evernote for some of my class lectures. Tonight I sat down to do my homework based on the last lecture and I was shocked to find the Evernote didn't save my work.

Since I'm only trying out Evernote, I don't have a premium account. Is saving notes a feature that only premium users get? 

I know that support is a feature that only premium users get, so I'm stuck; Evernote ate my homework and I have to pay to try to get it back.

Why would anyone ever use this product?

Is there any hope of recovering my work?

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. Lots of people use Evernote each day without data loss--which I realize doesn't help you any! Which version of Evernote are you using? If it's the Web Beta editor (indicated by the black button at bottom right), there have been issues with it not displaying notes that do actually exist. Click on the black button and switch to the "Classic" editor and see if that shows the vanished note.

> Hi, and welcome to the forums. Lots of people use Evernote each day without data loss

I bet there are, but I'm not one of them.

> Which version of Evernote are you using?

I'm using the web client.

> Click on the black button and switch to the "Classic" editor and see if that shows the vanished note.

That didn't help. To be clear, I'm missing a large set of changes to an existing note.

• Level 5

I know this won't be a welcome option, but at this point, the only thing I can suggest is to temporarily upgrade to a Premium subscription. You can subscribe for just one month, and that gives you access to both Note History and tech support. There's at least a chance that your revisions were saved to Note History (which is kept for all accounts, including Basic). If not, then you can reach out to tech support for further help: https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new. At the end, you can switch back to the Basic plan.

I’ve been having trouble with changes not being saved to notes as well, and looking through forums, it’s something Evernote is aware of for at least the past year and still no explanation or fixes besides pay for premium?  I’ve been trialing the free version before committing to the paid version, and this gives me no confidence that I should rely on Evernote in the future. Is there anything you have to convince me otherwise?

The support ticket is only for business or premium. This just happened to me after years and I'm shocked. I suspected something was wrong when the last note I made on my phone wasn't listed in the sidebar whilst editing another on the desktop. So I refreshed to see if it would appear and got your error message. It refreshed with an hours work on the new note for an interview lost. Switching to classic editor at this point didn't retrieve it. 

Thought word processing loss was left in the 90's. So bummed. 

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, stacyS said:

Well I purchased and it's not there..

The Note History option,  or the note revisions?

On 1/16/2020 at 7:37 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

There's at least a chance that your revisions were saved

@Dave-in-Decatur was offering the possibility that the changes might have been recorded - if they weren't,  I doubt there's any way to recover the details.  😞

• Level 5*
On 1/17/2020 at 9:30 PM, C B said:

I’ve been having trouble with changes not being saved to notes as well, and looking through forums, it’s something Evernote is aware of for at least the past year and still no explanation or fixes besides pay for premium?  I’ve been trialing the free version before committing to the paid version, and this gives me no confidence that I should rely on Evernote in the future. Is there anything you have to convince me otherwise?

Hi.  This is mainly a user-to-user forum do 'we' don't have anything to convince you one way or the other.  The  problem with 'fixing' this is that 99% of it  - dropped connections / bad signals / browser errors - is out of Evernote's control.  Being moderately careful to sync notes at every opportunity,  using only one app at a time (ie not editing on both phone and desktop) and having something like the textarea cache add-in on a desktop browser to save the last entry should ensure that you never have a data loss.  Subscribing also gives Evernote more funds to pay staff to think of other ways to save our data...

NB various browser extensions are available to safeguard posts like mine here - which suggests that data loss is an Internet problem that is not related to one application!

That's silly. File transfer (FTP) is really old technology and so is the transmission (TCP) of files which works with software (the application layer/Layer 7 of the OSI model) to guarantee the file and all packets are received. If your connection drops TCP will notify the application layer, which the software in this case Evernote should inform the end-user that the file transfer (a note change/update) failed and needs to retry. The file should be saved locally regardless and stored until it can be synced with Evernote's servers. This is not new technology. Files not saving correctly is a completely different animal than a premium feature/benefit of wanting to retrieve a previous version of a file that an end-user successfully and intentionally overwrites.

• 2 years later...

Same issue with me.  Hours of work.  I was on an airplane working on the desktop app.  I closed and reopened a few time to make sure it was saving at least locally.  Opened up my computer the next day, automatically connected to the internet, and poof... the note was gone.  Hours of work... seriously important business notes from a trip oversees...gone.  I wouldn't recommend using Evernote for anything serious/critical, like work, or school, or interviews... its 2022 this shouldn't be an issue.  I have the paid version professional... there is nothing professional about this.  There are better tools out there that understand the importance of working offline and online, backing up files, and protecting data.

• Evernote Expert

I'm sorry that you suffered this issue. As previously noted in this relatively old conversation the issue you describe isn't normal or typical. I am certain that Evernote developers are very aware of the importance of not losing content when working off-line.

If you want to raise the issue with the support team then you should open a support ticket. We're largely fellow users here and can sympathise but unlikely to be able to do anything for you.

• Level 5
On 10/30/2022 at 11:41 AM, Garrettr21 said:

Same issue with me.  Hours of work.  I was on an airplane working on the desktop app.  I closed and reopened a few time to make sure it was saving at least locally.  Opened up my computer the next day, automatically connected to the internet, and poof... the note was gone.  Hours of work... seriously important business notes from a trip oversees...gone.  I wouldn't recommend using Evernote for anything serious/critical, like work, or school, or interviews... its 2022 this shouldn't be an issue.  I have the paid version professional... there is nothing professional about this.  There are better tools out there that understand the importance of working offline and online, backing up files, and protecting data.

Also only a fellow user, but wanting to be clear on what happened. You were working on a note in the Evernote desktop app on a laptop while offline on a plane. The note was being saved to the EN database on the laptop. The next day you went online and the note was not there. I presume you hadn't looked for it in the time between. Was this a Mac or Windows laptop? Have you checked for the note in the trash (I know, duh), or in the Evernote Web app (this is actually the forum for that client)? Even if the note never got synced after you worked on it online, it should still have been present in the local DB and then synced when you went online. If that definitively did not happen, then do open a support ticket. And do let us know here if there's any progress--as @agsteele said, this is not an everyday occurrence (in my experience), and other users would want to know what happened.

• 1 month later...

On 10/30/2022 at 4:41 PM, Garrettr21 said:

Same thing just happened to me, except I was working on my phone. I was taking lots of important notes while on a plane on my way back from a business trip. That eager feeling I had when when I got back and wanted to start working on the list,  shifted to despair and disappointment when everything I had written on that 6h flight was just... gone. I only came here for hints for how to recover them.

Yes, I did press the green icon for save note.

I am not trusting this app with anything important again.