High quality pdf in Annotate and better anotation tools?

I'd really like to use evernote to handle new pdfs for research. Normally I use Adobe's PDF anotating features. But evernote's ability to search through the anotations I make would be very helpful.

But the pdf annotation  feature is weak.

1. When it opens a PDF, the text is badly aliased. It's fine in the normal not but not in the note annotation feature.
  2. There's no handrwriting recognitionm(maybe I'm totally wrong about that?)
  3. There's no ability to add marginal notes. Yes you can add block of text, but it's clearly designed to to short callouts; it edits/types slow and has goofy formating.
  4. There's no hand-tool, you can only use the mouse to scroll with the wheel but you can't click-drag up and down the page AND you can't finger-swipe up and down the page with a touch screen, it gets interpreted as a tool-stroke.
  5. There's no scroll bar for the pdf, that's maybe a small thing but it'd be in a normal annotation system.
  6. The highlighter is just a transparent paintbrush. In Adobe the system recgonizes the text being hightlighted and is restricted to it AND it reads the text in the highlight. In evernote it's just a wide line. Or even if the highlighter and pen were two separate tools, so when you selected the width  of the highlight and a different width  for the pen you can just click back and forth between the two tools instead of having to change the width  each time.

I would think that adding a hand-tool is the easiest thing to fix. Improving the displayed PDF quality/text aliasing might be very easy too but then again there might be a specific reason why it's being done. Handwriting recognition and better text-notes would surely be the most difficult things to add, and I suspect that at least for handwriting recognition Evernote has made a decision to stay away from it. The highlighting text issue is probably also a difficult feature to create too, but it works very well in adobe. It'd be nice to be able to have evernote perform searches that are restricted to JUST the highlighted text.

Archived