Tried Ulysses for one year . . .

But alas I’m going back to the green elephant. One too many sync issues with the yellow butterfly over the year, and then my notes on iOS became inaccessible w/out a power cycle (Ulysses support said this was Apple’s fault) about 2 months ago. 

BUT I’m not going EV premium just yet. I keep hearing they might be going out of business.

Why did I leave EV? I really liked the UI of Ulysses, and I loved the fact you could set a default note font size for iOS (WHEN WILL EV GET THIS!!!!).

Wishing you all the best in 2020. 

PS I’ve been an EV user since 2009. Hoping their longevity means they aren’t going anywhere. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, davidanasco said:

I keep hearing they might be going out of business

Is this another I heard it on the internet, so it must be true   
or do you have some real information sources   edit; just clickbait

>>I really liked the UI of Ulysses

My impression is that Ulysses is more of a tool for writers, and less focussed on storage/organization

>>Hoping their longevity means they aren’t going anywhere. 

Same here.     
I continue my work as if "they aren't going anywhere", but I've had an exit strategy from the beginning 

11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Is this another I heard it on the internet, so it must be true   
or do you have some real information sources.

I read these articles a few days ago, somewhat old news but still troubling:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/04/evernote-lost-its-cto-cfo-cpo-and-hr-head-in-the-last-month-as-it-eyes-another-fundraise/

https://www.gva.vc/en/about/blog/1649/

>>I really liked the UI of Ulysses

My impression is that Ulysses is more of a tool for writers, and less focussed on storage/organization

Ulysses offers a very clean and distraction free writing environment. I’m not a writer per se but I used Ulysses and EV primarily for note taking. 

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, davidanasco said:

BUT I’m not going EV premium just yet. I keep hearing they might be going out of business.

I subscribe to help keep the company going.  They appear to have an annual income of over £150M and substantial investment backing so I don't expect any unwelcome surprises.  It's more likely (but not very) that someone will launch a killer product that will make me drop Evernote before they drop me - and in either event I will have all my data and,  as @DTLow an exit plan to continue operations on a fairly even keel.  I don't worry about what can't be predicted - too busy sorting out the present.

Agreed, I will probably end up subscribing if for nothing else than to have off line access to my notes on my iPhone.  But while I am in the midst of the transition back to EV, I will just play the waiting game for now.

Love your Avatar, now I am think I need to watch some Three Stooges, nyuk nyuk nyuk!

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

Personally I doubt they go out of business. The last figure I have learned is appr. 13% of paying users. Multiply a 7- or 8-digit-number by the amount charged for a paid account, and you know what we are talking about. Probably enough to keep the show running. 

And if I am wrong, you have a local client nobody can steal, and an ENEX-export-file (hopefully) other note taking apps will be happy to import. 

But you are right, one step after the other. So take your time !

1 hour ago, jemostrom said:

Doesn't the latest version of Ulysses sync to Dropbox also? ... ehh, yep it does, perhaps using that makes syncing better?

Indeed it does, and I tried this (Dropbox sync) on both iOS and MacOS.  The issue I had was with having to keep Dropbox sync running all the time on my Mac desktop.  Sometimes it would just run quietly and other times it would leak memory like a sieve and use up all my RAM.

Thanks for your tip however.