I searched for this particular question but did not find it among the lengthy discussion about on-demand syncing.  

I use Evernote on a home computer where I have a large enough hard drive that I can maintain a local copy.  However, at work, I still use Evernote but have a smaller hard drive and want to limit the size of the Evernote file.  The plan is to try on-demand sync on that work computer.

I logged out of my Windows desktop Evernote.  I deleted the .exb file from my computer with plans to activate on-demand sync.  

When I logged back in, I found the settings and checked the "Enable on demand sync."   However, I can see that Evernote is currently rebuilidng my whole .exb file and it's getting close to the size it was before.

My first question is...do I need to uncheck other sync boxes in this same list?  Are the other checked boxes overriding the on-demand choice?

If not, do I need to enable the on-demand sync FIRST, before deleting the file, and relogging in to Evernote?  I'm wondering if it started doing the sync before I was able to find and click the "Enable on demand sync" in time.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, scottdfuller said:

I searched for this particular question but did not find it among the lengthy discussion about on-demand syncing.  

I use Evernote on a home computer where I have a large enough hard drive that I can maintain a local copy.  However, at work, I still use Evernote but have a smaller hard drive and want to limit the size of the Evernote file.  The plan is to try on-demand sync on that work computer.

I logged out of my Windows desktop Evernote.  I deleted the .exb file from my computer with plans to activate on-demand sync.  

When I logged back in, I found the settings and checked the "Enable on demand sync."   However, I can see that Evernote is currently rebuilidng my whole .exb file and it's getting close to the size it was before.

My first question is...do I need to uncheck other sync boxes in this same list?  Are the other checked boxes overriding the on-demand choice?

If not, do I need to enable the on-demand sync FIRST, before deleting the file, and relogging in to Evernote?  I'm wondering if it started doing the sync before I was able to find and click the "Enable on demand sync" in time.

Thanks.

Not sure.  You could go to Tools - Options - Synchronization and check Purge rarely used note content while changing the parameter to something like 1 or 2 days.  Then check your EXB size in a couple of days. 

Side note, there are some blips with ODS when merging and exporting notes.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I had this running on two laptops a while ago - one full copy and one limited copy.  Since my full database was over 20GB at the time it seemed like a good idea.  The ODS version ran at a few megs rather than gigs and I played with the purge period until it ran pretty well...  Then converted that laptop to Linux for other reasons...<_<

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, scottdfuller said:

Thanks.

1. Check the "Show Advanced Options" in the Options dialog (lower left corner)
  2. go to the Synchronization section. 
  3. Check the Purge Rarely Viewed Note content. (this doesn't delete data, it just removes the note body from your local copy. The metadata remains (subject, tags, etc.).
  4. Change the Purge Note Content... days to your preference. If you just want it to clean up, change it to 1 day and check back in a day or so. Then change it to something more reasonable. I keep mine at 7. The more days you have, the larger your local copy is.

• Like 1