Drag & Drop Multiple Files Results in EN Jumbling the File Name-Sort-Order !?

I'm in the process of moving my instructional/educational materials e.g. audio book files, from MS File Explorer (Win-10) to EN.  My files in Windows File Explorer are labelled and sorted alpha-numerically by Title.

The issue I'm having is that when dragging and dropping multiple files into an EN Note, the file-sorting gets jumbled/reversed resulting in my having to drag n drop manually.  Is there a way to prevent this and make EN retain the file sort order?

EXAMPLE of HOW IT LOOKS
1 Select & Drag files from MS File Explorer
image.png.51916d0783526d4ac964b80be392755f.png

2 Paste into EN Note (you can see from image how files are jumbled/reversed)
image.thumb.png.6499172f8e0eb7ded66c96e8a8ab06f9.png

3 My Final Step - Drag n Rearrange File-attachments inside EN-Note so as to Get the Correct order Back !!!

Anybody know how to fix/prevent this from happening...so that when i drag n drop files EN retains the correct order???

I'm using a Win10 PC running EN 6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750)

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Anybody know how to fix/prevent this from happening...so that when i drag n drop files EN retains the correct order???

AFAIK there's no way to DnD in bulk and have the file names sorted.  A note doesn't behave like a desktop folder.  You could try setting up an Import Folder so the files get added one at a time to separate notes,  then sort the notes on title and merge the list...  maybe?

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hmm. I seem to recall that attachments used to come in in the order chosen from Explorer. Doesn't seem to work that way now. I wonder if they implemented some sort of threaded (i.e. parallel) loading to make things load faster, but now the ordering is not retained.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Workaround.  Use the import folder facility of EN so that each file gets its own note, you will drag the files to that folder as opposed to EN directly.  Then get the notes in the order you want and merge the notes.  Before you do the merge go to Tools - Options - Note and select Merge notes with no separator if you don't want a separator.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your replies and ideas.  Seems like either way(s) comparable time is still required to sort this out.  I tend to have no more than 18 files/tracks at a time, so will continue to just adjust/rearrange manually.

As a final note:-  I noticed that files labelled and sorted alphabetically by Title,  do NOT retain their order when dragging and dropping.  I then looked at the file size of each file dragged across to see if EN was sorting based on size, but again I could find no logic/pattern... so appears random.  Indeed only the files with a numerical 01-, 02-, title-prefix seem to always follow the same order, when dragging dropping.  Oh well, thanks again.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 8:35 AM, jefito said:

Hmm. I seem to recall that attachments used to come in in the order chosen from Explorer. Doesn't seem to work that way now. I wonder if they implemented some sort of threaded (i.e. parallel) loading to make things load faster, but now the ordering is not retained.

As I remember, the ordering is simply what Windows says. (Keep wanting to type 'tells us' - but I'm not 'us' now LOL!) EN doesn't know how that is sorted. And who knows how Windows actually keeps its internal list...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 1/11/2020 at 11:03 AM, dcon said:

As I remember, the ordering is simply what Windows says. (Keep wanting to type 'tells us' - but I'm not 'us' now LOL!) EN doesn't know how that is sorted. And who knows how Windows actually keeps its internal list...

Well, I'll accept 'us' as being past & present Evernote folks -- heck, you still have the scars, er, tattoo, right? :) 

Anyways, yeah, it was always clear that the order came from Windows, but I seem to remember it as pretty reliable (vs. Mac at the time). I seem to recall that Windows would return things in the order that you selected them if you selected one-by-one (via Ctrl+Click), but can't remember anything about order of drag selects. It may depend on whether you drag select up or down (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6128962/how-do-i-maintain-the-file-order-in-windows-explorer-when-drag-and-dropping-file). It might also depend on the file ordering in the Explorer window as well, though I've not found much supporting that either way.. Microsoft seems pretty opaque about the whole thing.

• Like 1
On 1/12/2020 at 7:11 PM, jefito said:

heck, you still have the scars, er, tattoo, right?

And the mug! (and LOTS of tshirts...)

On 1/12/2020 at 7:11 PM, jefito said:

Microsoft seems pretty opaque about the whole thing.

And who knows how that may change across MS updates...

• Like 1