Email to my Evernote: Attachment = Fail

pemaje

Idea

I setup my HP scanner to send PDFs to my username.xxx@m.evernote.com address.
Immediatelly I faced a problem: no new notes appeared on my account.

After testing a bit and resetting the @m.evernote.com addressfor  8 times I figured out: every single time there is what so ever attachment in the email I get an error email from Evernote:

We couldn’t deliver your message
The emailed note was received, but an internal error occurred while processing it. Please try sending the note again later.

What is wrong? I thought one was able to save PDF-files to the Evernote account by email...

PS. By testing I mean I tried to send mail from various devices to @m.evernote.com address.

8 replies to this idea

Damn. Looks like there could have been some problem with my service provider yesterday. Or some issue at Evernote's end?
--> Anyway, PDF upload from all the devices except the scanner work now! And I didn't change a thing.

But here it gets funny: When I go the the sent folder of the scanner (via webmail) and either reply all or forward that message then it gets uploaded to Evernote... But not straight from the scanner...
(I have created a separate my.personal.scanner@gmail.com account for my scanner.)

I guess I need to contact the Support for that.

So the email itself (plus attached PDF) is generated and sent from the printer? Try setting the printer to email to your personal email account, see if the email and attachment looks reasonable. Can you reply to it? Does the reply land at my.personal.scanner@gmail.com? Make sure the printer's email from: address and SMTP server is legit, not just from Google's POV but also from your ISP's POV.  If it is from a gmail.com address, but uses a non-gmail client or non-typical routing/IP addresses, Evernote might think it is spam.

These are the gotchas I remember from setting up my printer 1+ year ago to scan into Evernote via the EN email gateway. My ISP was very picky about POP/IMAP/SMTP clients like Outlook (free version) that send via 3rd party (e.g. google in your case) SMTP servers. I ended up having to use the email system provided by the ISP to create a new mailbox just for the printer.

Hi John and thank you for the input!

The scanner email fuction works (almost) perfectly. It uses the Gmail SMTP-server and that requires autentication. So all the scanned email appear in my.personal.scanner@gmail.com  sent-folder.

So far the emails and attacments have arrived to all my personal mails and @sendtodropbox.com also works.
If I scan something to my.mail@workplace.com I get an email from my.personal.scanner@gmail.com and if I reply that the message of course appears in my.personal.scanner@gmail.com  inbox.
For some reason (your guess of spam souds legit) only @m.evernote.com doesn't work...

I'm getting desperate 😭

After argueing two months with Evernote support it is their final stand that I need to contact HP support because there is something wrong with the device since it cannot send email to @evernote.com address 😂

I don't know if I should laugh or cry...

I have also setup various email accounts with different SMTP servers to my HP. All of them work, but not with the @m.evernote.com...

Please. Is there anybody else to contact than https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, pemaje said:

I'm getting desperate 😭

After argueing two months with Evernote support it is their final stand that I need to contact HP support because there is something wrong with the device since it cannot send email to @evernote.com address 😂

I don't know if I should laugh or cry...

I have also setup various email accounts with different SMTP servers to my HP. All of them work, but not with the @m.evernote.com...

Please. Is there anybody else to contact than https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Can you use the import folder option in EN and send the PDFs to a Dropbox folder which EN is watching as an import folder?  Workaround I know, but it might work.  Or set up a profile where you save the PDF to a folder on your device and import from there.  FWIW

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No direct solution, sorry. You can follow CalS on this.

An alternative if the mail-to-account from the Scanner/printer works in general might be this: 

1. Install a mail client on a PC / Mac that is able to process mail based on rules. I have Thunderbird, know it exists in Outlook and I am sure other Mail Clients do the same.
  2. Establish a rule that mails from your @ HP-Account will be forwarded to your @ m.evernote.com account. You can even specify the notebook and apply tags by modifying the Mail title through the rule based processing. Put an @ in front to specify the notebook, and a # for a tag.
  3. When you mail to this client, and it is active, your mails will be send directly to EN. Else they will wait in the inbox until the Mail program is opened, and be processed then.

Sorry, it is not the best way, but probably does the job as workaround using mail instead of moving files into folders.

On 3/29/2020 at 11:50 PM, PinkElephant said:

No direct solution, sorry. You can follow CalS on this.

An alternative if the mail-to-account from the Scanner/printer works in general might be this: 

1. Install a mail client on a PC / Mac that is able to process mail based on rules. I have Thunderbird, know it exists in Outlook and I am sure other Mail Clients do the same.
  2. Establish a rule that mails from your @ HP-Account will be forwarded to your @ m.evernote.com account. You can even specify the notebook and apply tags by modifying the Mail title through the rule based processing. Put an @ in front to specify the notebook, and a # for a tag.
  3. When you mail to this client, and it is active, your mails will be send directly to EN. Else they will wait in the inbox until the Mail program is opened, and be processed then.

Sorry, it is not the best way, but probably does the job as workaround using mail instead of moving files into folders.

Sir,

You are a GENIUS!

Solution:

1. Scanner still has my.personal.scanner@gmail.com account.
  2. Scanner sends email to my.personal.scanner2@gmail.com email that I just created.
  3. my.personal.scanner2@gmail.com automatically forwards that email to username.xxx@m.evernote.com address.
  4. 💪

Previous:

1. Scanner has my.personal.scanner@gmail.com account.
  2. Scanner sends email to username.xxx@m.evernote.com address.
  3. 🤬
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1