Setting up ScanSnap Home in Catalina

Hello, I have upgraded to Catalina and downloaded ScanSnap Home to scan directly with my ix500 to EN. I can't find instructions for how to set up the scanner to scan to EN like I used to do with the old software. I could find instructions to do it through the cloud but I would like to just scan directly to EN on my computer rather than EN in the cloud. If anyone can point me to instructions it would be appreciated.

• Level 5

My steps are described in this post. Probably you can skip some since your initial setting is different.

The key after you got the scanner working is to set up profiles in ScanSnapHome to scan directly into EN. And not that the scanner can only work with one computer at any time. So if it was connected to another one - or the same one with another OS ? - before, it may have trouble to connect to your Mac under the updated OS.

Somehow my post will not be copied as a link, so this is the text:

My steps have been:

Uninstall all ScanSnap SOFTWARE from my MacBookPro using AppCleaner app, to really wipe all parts of it. Caution: This will as well erase the folders containing copies of all scans, so make sure to back them up (copy them to another folder) if you still need the content.

Link the ix500 to the Mac using the USB cable. Go to the Fujitsu website and upgrade your firmware to the latest edition available for your scanner. Caution: If it is an EN edition scanner, it will be converted to a normal ix500 by this. This can’t be reverted - and without doing, the new 64bit-SW will not run with your scanner. (*)

From the Fujitsu Website get the DMG with the ScanSnapHome-Software. Install it on your Mac.

Go to the Macs settings, Security & Privacy, and go down the list of settings in the last tab. I think the one before is the Firewall. Check each category, and where ScanSnap or EN is mentioned, make sure the option is checked. 

Connect to the scanner via USB, set it up (WiFi etc.) and run a test. It should work now.

In ScanSnapHome create profiles that allow you to scan directly into a new EN note.

(*) I did not have to do this, since I have a standard ix500. Maybe you have to get the ScanSnapHome running first before you can upgrade the firmware. You have to try how it works, or go through Fujitsu support on this. From my knowledge, ScanSnapHome will not work with an EN edition scanner. Anyhow, the scanner should run the latest firmware, even if it was a normal ix500 from the beginning.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I just updated computers (new 16 inch MacBook Pro. Of course, it comes with Catalina as the minimum macOS, and that kills Scansnap Manager.

I found the download instructions for Scansnap Home, downloaded it, created a Scansnap account, set it up with a "free Scansnap cloud account" as instructed, then created an Evernote Profile. I'm able to scan, but from the time I push the "Scan" button until a document appears in my Evernote dashboard (even a 1 page pdf) more than a minute elapses. This is AWFUL.

I know that the configuration routine is scanning to Fujitsu's cloud, then to Evernote, and I suspect that's why it takes so long. You've talked about scanning directly to your Mac. Does that resolve these issues? What about needing to log in to the Scansnap cloud account in order to permit scanning?

I can play around with creating a new profile or just selecting scanning directly to my computer, but I do want my scans available in my Evernote account, not just one one device. I notice that, by default configuration of my Evernote scanning profile, my scans are supposedly being saved to ~/Documents, but that's obviously NOT the case. I suspect that the local copies are being saved to ~/Library/??? or /Library/Application Support/ or something like that, but I've not figured that out yet. Do you have any suggestions for me? My scanner is the iX500. OCR seems fine (the installer seems to have integrated ABBY Finereader), but if can't feed my scanner's input try with multi-page documents just as soon as the previous document clears the scanning hardware, this will be a catastrophic loss of usability for me!

• Level 5

Since Catalina will only take 64bit-Apps, there is not much of a choice, just optimisation.

As told above the secret is in the profiles that come with the ScanSnapHome-App. Set up profiles, tune them, until it comes the closest to what you think supports your workflow. Scan resolution matters the most, because it determines the size of the file created.

In general the size of the file matters, because the ix500 will only connect to a 2.4 GHz-WiFi. This is slower than the 5GHz, and often it is crowded. So check on your network situation, maybe this is slowing things down a lot. There are only channels 1, 6 and 11 that are not overlapping in this WiFi-band. Pick the one least crowded. Connect your MBP to the router via cable, because else you split the WiFi-capacity between the two devices into 50%, which is appr. 10 MB/s (75 MBit/s) under optimal conditions. To compare, you can connect the scanner via USB and try this as well.

My typical wait for a 5-8 pages, duplex document is several seconds, which includes OCR and direct import into EN, creating a new note. I scan directly via WiFi into my MacBook Pro 15 / 2018. I have created 3 profiles to scan into EN, one simplex, one duplex, both with OCR, and one with the highest resolution for important documents.

Thanks for your detailed response.

Is there no way to scan directly to the computer and into Evernote via the USB connection? Is the issue that using the Scansnap "account" REQUIRES using WiFi? 

I would think that a 146 KB 2 page OCR'd pdf could wend its way from the scanner to my router, to the Fujitsu Server, then to the Evernote server, then back to me in just a few seconds rather than the glacial pace at which things hare happening since I was forced to "upgrade" to Scansnap Home and the "account."

My local network architecture includes fiber to the home with 400 mbpsec download speed promised by the ISP, an Apple 802.11ac "Time Capsule" router doing NAT, a network extender Apple 2.4 GHz 802.11n "Airport Express" (configured solely as a network-extender, physically within 1-2 meters of the laptop and the scanner. The laptop is connected to the nearby Airport Express solely by WiFi, but the laptop is connected to an OWC 13 port TB3, USBc, 1000bT hub by a TB3 cable, and I could connect the laptop to the Airport Express router by 1000bT cable, but I doubt that would make much difference.

I'm also not happy with having another server on the internet as a repository for all my Evernote documents.

I'm also uncertain now regarding exactly where on my own computer these documents are residing. Despite what my Evernote scanning"Profile" says, they're nested deep in the bowels of ~/Library/GroupContainers/alphanumericjibeberish.com.evernote.Evernote/CoreNote/accounts/www.evernotecom/88133769/Content/andonandon/

I guess I shouldn't worry about that; after all, that's what Evernote is for 😎

I belong to a Mac (actually now Apple) email listserv, and users there are responding to my appeals saying I should toss the Fujitsu software and instead use VueScan or ExactScan. I've not explored that, but I will.

Bottom line, I guess is

1. whether trying to configure the scanner to use 3rd party scanning software is a potential solution
  2. whether there's any way to scan directly to my computer (after all, Evernote the company will synchronize my devices, and I don't see why I need Fujitsu as a "man in the middle" (unless it's so that they can harvest and sell my personal information—have we really come to the point that we actually HAVE TO read those boilerplate user agreements which will in any event do their best to disguise whether or not they DO harvest and sell my information anyway?), and
  3. whether, if I CAN use 3rd party scanning software with my iX500, whether I can still automate the OCR?

By the way, just where, physically, does the OCR occur? In the scanner? On my computer? If it's on my computer, is that before or after the bitmap takes it's trip to and from the Fujitsu server(s)?

Thanks so much. If Steve Jobs wasn't cremated, he'd be rolling over in his grave at the preposterous proposition that this constitutes "progress."

• Level 5

Just how I do my scanning - ix500, MacBook Pro, Catalina:

To set the scanner up I have used the USB cable. The WiFi can be set up with WPS as well, but I did it by cable and the ScanSnap Assistant. The Cable is a USB 3.0, so it is fast enough to allow scanning by cable as well. This is possible, however I am not using it. So just the set up. WiFi 2.4 GHz must work, because the scanner does not support 5 GHz. My Mac is connected by Ethernet Cable and WiFi 5 GHz to the local network, no need for 2.4 GHz on the Mac. The connection is handled through the router or switch.

Then I use the ScanSnap Home App on the Mac. The ix500 can only be connected to one computer at any time. So if it was connected before to another computer, it needs a knockknock from the MacBook to know where to send the scans to. So I open the ScanSnap App and establish the connection.

On the ScanSnap App I have several profiles, 3 of them are set to send Scans into Evernote, creating a new note for each scan (scanned file, can be several pages). The option „create a readable pdf“ is selected, which performs an OCR on the Mac before sending it on to Evernote. I pick the profile best suited for my scanning (simplex, duplex, high resolution).

Then I scan (place pages in feeder, hit blue button). The scan is done, send to the Mac, OCRed on the Mac using the free AbbyFineReader software that came with the scanner, a new note is created for Evernote and saved in EN, staying open in a new own window. Each scan creates another new window.

I am not using the Fujitsu cloud, all data goes directly to my Mac, is OCRed there and the Evernote note is created locally. It is on the EN server only after I have synced the next time, so it is created in the EN client on my Mac. The Fujitsu Cloud is nowhere in my scanning process, and it is not needed.

If you feel the process is too slow, you can use the USB cable to test the connection. Because it is USB 3 it is much faster than WiFi. And it makes sure the Scanner knows where to send the scanned file - which is to the other end of the cable. By using the cable for tests, you can find out how it works without WiFi. I would not use the setup through cable as a working environment, I use it only when I run into a problem with my WiFi.

19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I am not using the Fujitsu cloud, all data goes directly to my Mac, is OCRed there and the Evernote note is created locally. It is on the EN server only after I have synced the next time, so it is created in the EN client on my Mac. The Fujitsu Cloud is nowhere in my scanning process, and it is not needed.

If you feel the process is too slow, you can use the USB cable to test the connection. Because it is USB 3 it is much faster than WiFi. And it makes sure the Scanner knows where to send the scanned file - which is to the other end of the cable. By using the cable for tests, you can find out how it works without WiFi. I would not use the setup through cable as a working environment, I use it only when I run into a problem with my WiFi.

This is the part I don't understand, because the description of Scansnap Cloud in the Scansnap Home user guide indicates that the profile for Evernote Note creation requires use of Scansnap Cloud.

Because creating and OCR-ing pdf files and importing them into Evernote was taking so long with a Scansnap Home profile created as described in the user guide, I tried scanning directly into Apple's Preview PDF reader (Scansnap Home comes with a pre-defined,, non-WiFi-requiring Profile for Preview. Using that profile, I can create multi-page scans (once the paper document is in the feeder) by pressing either the blue scanner button or the virtual blue button in the Scansnap Home application. That creates the scans very quickly and gives them a PDF filetype, depositing them in a folder I've specified on my Mac. However, at that point they've not had OCR done. I've found that I can launch the bundled ABBYY FineReader, then open these files, and that succeeds in adding the OCR layer to the files. The final step would be importing the files into Evernote, EXCEPT that the OCR'd files acquire human-uninterpretable filenames buried a dizzying depth in the macOS filesystem. I've been given pointers to an automator action that bundles all of this , but I've not tried it yet.

As a privacy freak, I've been puzzling just why Scansnap Home even requires use of a Scansnap Cloud profile to get documents into Evernote, which of course has its own synchronization setup. I'm wondering if it's an effort to monetize the scanning process by anonymizing my information while it's on Fujitsu's own servers and selling it. That intensifies my desire to have a solution that doesn't require any intereraction with the Scansnap cloud. So, I have a question: Are you able to create scans that are OCR'd and deposited in Evernote with WiFi disabled on the Mac that's connected to your scanner by USB?

I've verified that my USB connection to my scanner is USB 3.0, but of course the scanner is limited to 2.4 GHz 802.11n transmission rates (as is my Airport Express WiFi extender. I do have a 2 story house, with the router that does NAT being a 2.4/5.0 GHz 802.11ac Airport Extreme (final generation "mini-tower" Time Capsule version (does automatically scheduled backups of my two computers to Time Machine over Wifi to its internal 3 TB rotating platter drive). The WiFi setup module of ScanSnap home on my laptop cannot "see" the 802.11ac SSID when the laptop is located next to the scanner in my upstairs office, and I suspect that I could improve my LAN reliability and speed by investing in a new MESH network with extender(s), but it was working fine for THIS task previously on macOS Mojave with Scansnap Manager).

AS I see it now, I have 4 possible solutions:

1. Relegagting scanning responsibility to my 2017 iMac that is still running Mojave (I've planned a major upgrade for the machine, replacing its internal "Fusion" drive with a 1 TB PCI SSD stick plugged directly into the logic board and using the 1 TB rotating platter drive just for file storage, and simultaneously upgrading RAM from 8 to 32 GB. Currently the iMac is all boxed up ready for a visit to my techie son where the two of us will try to avoid killing the computer or smashing its monitor glass during the surgery.
  2. Updating my VMware Fusion license, installing the Catalina-compatible newest version on my laptop, then creating a virtual machine Mojave installation to re-enable 32-bit apps, including Scansnap Manager. I acquired the VMware Fusion license back when I needed to run Windows 7 to access my medical practice's electronic health record, but eventually Epic Systems saw the light and made their software Mac-friendly (at least via Citrix).
  3. Figure out why my Scansnap Home "Profile" is so slow.
  4. Figure out a way to automate dumping local scans to Preview->local OCR via ABBYY FineReader->Import the correct files into Evernote. The issue with this for me is making sure I'm importing the correct files!

I appreciate your ongoing suggestions a great deal.

Jim Robertson

• Level 5

To see how it looks on my Mac, i have made a screenshot from the ScanSnapHome-Apps window on my Mac. This is not the small scanning window, it is the main window of the app itself. You see that beside me importing into EN (which is done automatically if I use one of my EN-profiles), all scans are saved here as well. They are saved locally on my Mac - arrow (1).

In the document properties you see the option if the pdf is made readable, which means OCRed (arrow with (2) ). For this document, it says "Ja" which means it was OCRed. It is a one page-doc with little text. Scanning and OCRing took less time than it took me to turn around from the scanner to watch the computer screen. Import into EN took a few seconds more.

At arrow (3) you see tags. They are automatically applied based on my scan profile settings. Unfortunately, they are only locally saved, in the ScanSnapHome app, and not transferred on to EN. So there I have to do my own tagging again.

A second screen shot shows the account tab of the settings. Arrow (4) is the logout / login to a Fujitsu account. You need the account to register your scanner, but you can log off without a problem. Arrow (5) is using the ScanSnapCloud service. I use it, so it is checked (serves as a backup for my scans free of charge .... not all of my scans go to EN, so I like to have an independent backup). But I have tried: You can uncheck the cloud service, and the scan into EN will continue to work. This is not related.

ScanSnapHome_ergebnis.thumb.png.3feaa530cd3aaefa71f2859118029902.png

454711127_ScSnHAccount_ergebnis.thumb.png.7aacdfe1a5da4c18881436dfec3711d3.png

• Level 5

Now this is from the scanning window, with the big blue button and the profiles. I have opened the profile that I use to send my scan (simplex) directly into EN. However, they are saved in parallel on my Mac as well. Option arrow (5) does control this. You can say "to a file" as well if you do not want it inside of the ScanSnapHome-Application.

Arrow (6) points to the detailed options of the profile. Here you find in the second tab the option to OCR (arrow 8). On the start screen of the scanning window, there is as well an option to switch between local copy and cloud service, by the 2 symbols (arrow 9). If the cloud is not enabled in the settings, it is not possible to choose it by accident.

I hope you can follow these settings by the screenshots, and set it up for yourself, avoiding any cloud services by this. Please feel free to ask again if you still have trouble.

ScanWindow_ergebnis.thumb.png.c32cda4a9defda3eccaf7d690aa4ae23.png

1162872384_OCRoption1_ergebnis.thumb.png.6e76198a23fbef5ffc9900aa30ac5775.png

742921137_ScanWindow2_ergebnis.thumb.png.7f2ef0002558009c905592b53b40568a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

About data security and privacy - which is not the same, and sometime even in a conflict:

First issue IMHO is creating a good backup strategy. The Time capsule was a good solution, but it is not supported any longer. The disk is aging, and may fail any day. Furthermore, what happens if your house would burn to the ground ?

A good backup solution follows the 3-2-1-rule. Look it up in Wikipedia. 

Now EN is pretty safe, because it is a cloud service. The data lays distributed in data centers, so even if one of them fails, the data is still there. But all the other stuff is not. So now we come to the conflict: The data Security in a Cloud Storage is very high, but the privacy may be a concern.

To solve this there are tools available that first encrypt data before they send it to the cloud. And they fetch it back encrypted, and only decrypt it on your own computer. The most popular program to do this is probably Boxcryptor. It works with most mayor cloud services, with iCloud Drive as well.

As explained above, there is no need to use the ScanSnapCloud if you do not want it. I use it, and this is because I think that Fujitsu can be trusted. But this is a personal assumption, and may be wrong. The same is true with other cloud services, in the end it is a matter of trust. So as long as you have a choice, I would rather stick with the large Providers that are not lIkely to grab any data from their customers, like iCloud, OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, Google Drive  or AWS (Amazon).

What do I do personally ? I run my own home server, a 4-bay Synology with plenty of disk space. I run my secondary backups on USB HDDs , of which some are stored outside of my house, just in case. And I have a 2TB iCloud account for my active projects, plus EN as my second brain for documents and archive. So it is a mix of an own infrastructure plus a few selected cloud based services. This is what I actively support and pay for. Wherever possible I choose iCloud as the backup service for other apps as well.

Then I have a few leftovers, that can’t be avoided: A little bit of OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, ScanSnapCloud etc. - because this service only connects to that cloud, whereas that app only combines with this provider. For example: I run my own website with Wordpress. To protect against a hacker attack, I back it up automatically. But the Plugin will only backup to Dropbox, so I need to have a Dropbox account. 

These clouds are my cloud-clutter, but I try to keep it as low as possible. I regard it still better than to have essential data only on one device, which can be corrupted or stolen. Again, this is the conflict between security and privacy, and everybody needs to find his own balance.

P.S. Have fun with your iMac. I would rather get a larger SSD, and throw the turning drive out completely. Prices have come down so far that it makes no sense any longer to preserve an extra disk for 1 TB of additional space.

On 1/29/2020 at 1:09 PM, PinkElephant said:

Thanks so much! My German is non-existent, but I think your annotations will help me follow. I’ll probably have a chance to look through the workflow and see if I can duplicate it later this evening.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

About data security and privacy - which is not the same, and sometime even in a conflict:

First issue IMHO is creating a good backup strategy. The Time capsule was a good solution, but it is not supported any longer. The disk is aging, and may fail any day. Furthermore, what happens if your house would burn to the ground ?

P.S. Have fun with your iMac. I would rather get a larger SSD, and throw the turning drive out completely. Prices have come down so far that it makes no sense any longer to preserve an extra disk for 1 TB of additional space.

Well, my house already DID burn to the ground, along with those of 5300 of my fellow Santa Rosa, CA citizens, back in 2017. I lost an iMac in that conflagration, along with a 4-bay TB2 external drive holder that I had configured JBOD. Those drives included my Time Machine and SuperDuper backups of the Time Machine, as well as a bunch of commercial movies (we also lost our other movie repositories (2 TiVo DVDs). Fortunately, my other redundancy was a combination of Dropbox, iCloud Drive, and duplication onto my own user account on my laptop.

I AM somewhat skeptical of my Time Machine backups, but (embarrassingly irregularly) I do SuperDuper! clones of both computers.

The blade PCI bus SSDs are still a bit rich for my budget, especially beyond 1 TB in size. I think I'll be lucky if the iMac gets back together without me ruining its screen or slicing a connector while opening it up. It's now approaching 3 years old and I'm planning the "upgrade" primarily for the "fun" of going inside. My techie son is an architect, and he has a 13 yo son to whom he brought home a fairly high-end graphics workstation from his architectural firm after their IT department couldn't figure out what had made it fail (they were planning to toss it into the recycle bin). My grandson painstakingly took it apart over a few days and discovered poorly seated memory modules and dc power cables and now has a super duper Fortnite gaming station in his man-cave (I think exploring the innards of the Windows box was one of the few things that's taken him away from his online crusades in the last several months!)

And I'm far less sanguine than you about privacy when the server at the other end of your internet pipe belongs to Google. I trust them only a bit more than Facebook (which I think is best described by Obe-Wan's characterization of the bar in the first Star Wars movie)

• Level 5

O.K. Then you know that burning to the ground is not just theoretical (sorry for that).

My first Backup is TM on the Mac, to the NAS. Since I have most on the iCloud Drive as well, this alone should keep me safe. For secondary backups I run Acronis True Image on all computers (PCs and Mac), plus the Synology HyperBackup on the Syno.

About Google, I agree in general. They are in one class with Amazon and Facebook, all living like vampires off the data they generate from their users / customers. I just mentioned Google Drive because they have a good product, and you don’t need to mind about it when encrypting before uploading. EN is hosted as well in Google data centers, but out of reach from the Google tentacles. They run a very efficient and secure cloud platform.

By the way, we have a nice privacy legislation here in Europe now. First you can have all data related to your person extracted and send to you for review. And this means everything they have - we have reports from people that received several DVDs full of stuff, going back 10 years. This is free of charge, 30 days time limit, severe fines applied.

And then you have a right to tell them to delete it - completely. They call it the individual citizen right to be forgotten. Nice job done in Brussels, I really appreciate it.

Anyhow it is a bit hard to keep away from them: No accounts created (no YouTube or Instagram as well), use another search engine (DuckDuckGo in my case), avoid Chrome browser, no Android phone, no Google maps etc. You can’t evade them completely, but reduce their grab a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help.

I discovered that I could indeed use the USB scanning option with the scan to Evernote profile I'd created. I had found a rather old thread online that discussed creating an "Import to Evernote" folder in the macOS, but it was several generations of the macOS old, so I did not attempt that.

I'll watch to make certain my scans sync. They do all seem to get OCR'd before landing in Evernote.

One additional question, if I may. I've never liked Evernote's default naming convention for new notes, so when I scan something (more than 90 % of my notes originate in my scanner, although a few come from PDFs or Word or Excel documents I receive by email). I'll either change Evernote's default to a name that's descriptive of the document, then change the scanned pdf to carry the same name, or just use the name of the imported PDF as the note title.

Curiously, although the names I've assigned to new notes after scanning always stick, the renaming of the included pdf to be the same as my choice for the Evernote note name often doesn't, but rather reverts to Evernote's original choice for the name of the note itself. Have you any idea why this might be the case?

Thanks again for the annotated screenshots. The German flummoxed me a bit, but I seem to have things working!

• Level 5

The Screenshots are often like a map - you can read them even if the language is different.

The name of the attachment is assigned before it is send to EN, and EN simply copies it and uses it as note title. There is no link between the two. You can change the name of the attachment (right click on the attachments header, rename), or you can change the name of the note, without the one influencing the other. In fact is does not really matter, it just looks weird.

If you want to straighten them out, I think the easiest way is to change one of them, copy what you have typed and insert it to the other item. I use a little app on the Mac called PopClip that makes copy & paste easy, plus a number of other functions. It can be highly customized, including features like pasting a selected text into EN, Pocket or other apps or doing a character and word count of the selection. It really makes life easier on tasks like these.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The name of the attachment is assigned before it is send to EN, and EN simply copies it and uses it as note title. There is no link between the two. You can change the name of the attachment (right click on the attachments header, rename), or you can change the name of the note, without the one influencing the other. In fact is does not really matter, it just looks weird.

Really! So, the scanner assigns the Evernote note name? I don't think think that used to be the case; Notes that came from emails, photographs, files on my Mac, or even direct text entries all seemed to have similar syntax.

In any event, I just always change the note name to something that makes sense to me, and then, if the content of the note is a scanned and OCR'd pdf, I change the name of the name (that starts out the same as the Evernote note name) to match the name I've chosen for the enclosing note. The weird thing is that quite often, that pasted on new name seems to "stick" initially, but if I pull up the note again later, the pdf's name inside the note has reverted to the name that was assigned originally, while the Evernote note retains my chosen changed name.

• Level 5

There are settings for the scan files title in the ScanSnapHome software, again in the profiles, 1st tab „Title“. These can be a fixed text plus the date, or the date plus a counter, or can be generated automatically from the OCR of the document. You can create different profiles just to switch easily between naming settings (however, with too many profiles handling gets troublesome). I have is set to automatically plus date of scanning.

If this is chosen, the document is titled from text the OCR has found in the document. And this Title of the pdf is taken by EN to create the note title - there is nothing else available at the moment the note is automatically created. At position „A“ you see what will be created based on the settings in „B“.

When I used the „rename“ function, I never had the pdf revert to the prior file name (Second screen shot). However I most of the time only change the note title, and leave the pdf title as it is. It is not important to me, since the pdf is searchable itself. So I skip this little effort.

image.thumb.jpeg.3de75e8850fea0c3aec477f0a0b8b546.jpeg

Rename a pdf in EN - if the pdf is shown, right click on the tile bar.

image.thumb.jpeg.7da76b12399ba0fe712e364e14eb06c5.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Pink Elephant, for your help on how to scan directly to Evernote!  I was able to upgrade the firmware of my ix500, download ScanSnapHome (allowing full disk access), and set up a profile to scan directly into Evernote, bypassing the Fujitsu cloud service.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 12:55 PM, Giulia455 said:

Thank you, Pink Elephant, for your help on how to scan directly to Evernote!  I was able to upgrade the firmware of my ix500, download ScanSnapHome (allowing full disk access), and set up a profile to scan directly into Evernote, bypassing the Fujitsu cloud service.  

Giulia455,

I just purchased a Fujitsu s1300i scanner and installed  the ScanSnapHome software on my windows 10 PC.  For some reason I can't get The Evernote profile added. The template leaves the "save to:" tab as "unspecified" and it won't let me add the profile unless I pick somewhere on the PC to save the documents. Also, on the Scan window, there is no "Scan to Cloud" tab. Any ideas on solving this problem other than sending it back?

• 5 months later...

I also want to add my 267235231_ScanSnaptoEvernote.thumb.png.7c0eb771ade6c0f9653dca82fc81afb1.pngexperience:

The route via WLAN - FujitsuCloud - Evernote does not seem optimal to me.

I have now set up a profile that opens the scan directly in Evernote. The Evernote app runs on my Mac, so the documents are synchronized with the Evernote cloud as usual. 

Scan always ends up in the Upload folder, which is ok.

OCR runs on the Mac, so I could even reduce the EN account. We'll see.

705096860_ScanSnaptoVernote2.thumb.png.1ca19903a6f6dc8c5e202bee52a54cec.png705096860_ScanSnaptoVernote2.thumb.png.1ca19903a6f6dc8c5e202bee52a54cec.png

RT

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

This may be old news, but if it was, I missed it.  ScanSnap Manager for the ix500 now supports Catalina.  You can avoid using ScanSnap Home and their cloud service.  I just installed it, pointed it to the Evernote application (not v10, I'm sticking with the legacy version for now) and it scans directly into Evernote like it did on Mojave.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Here are a few links with more information.

https://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/faq/catalina-ss.html

https://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/topics/news200625.html