Implement Format Styles

seong

Idea

I use preset stylus a lot while using MS word, Markdown tools, or even writing in HTML. 

Preset styles such as Titles, Headings, Citations, Normal styles are very helpful for making well-organized notes quickly. 

BUT the current Evernote only provide simple text styling tools like the size or the font, so it is very difficult to have a beautiful and coherent note. 

Please add Styles feature.

• Like 6

27 replies to this idea

This is something Evernote must truly become better.

Although Evernote is far superior than Onenote from collecting and organizing notes\information captured from the Internet, Onenote excels in formatting capabilities and so is much better for personal notes.

Onenote allows:

• faster notes formatting, so we can be more productive, saving time and focusing in content capture.
  • personal notes be more readable, since are better formatted.

In my opinion, better formatting, with Styles included with Table of Contents of the note itself, will allow a true boost in Evernote to become even more appealing to existing and new users.

• Like 2

I think styles with shortcuts similar to Google Docs and even Apple Notes, would make my workflow so much smoother, to be able to press Command+Option+2 to get a "Heading 2" style. Taking this one step further would be the ability to set what these predefined styles are, so if I wanted my Heading 2 to have an underline, I can set that up.

• Like 1

I find it absurd that such a "core feature" wasn't implemented right from the beginning or any time soon after. The fact that I can't style my notes with styles upsets me every time I write or read a note that has more than five lines. I would have switched away from Evernote but despite the lack of this feature it's IMO still superior to other note taking apps. I really hope this gets implemented soon. After all it has been requested many times in the past years.

• Like 1

Chiming in to agree - yes Evernote is super fast for my note taking - but lack of styles gank my progress, having to manually change size back and forth to "fake" headings, when I'm used to Google docs where it's SUPER quick to set one line to a heading, press enter and keep typing as it switches back to "Normal" style automatically.  Then you can auto-generate a clickable table of contents with just a couple of clicks.

Evernote's formatting is so frustrating, and much more clumsy and slow than working with styles.

• Like 1

Could not agree MORE. Lack of Defined Styles is the #1 reason why I'm not a paying customer.

I use EverNote for code snippets, and notes... being able to highlight a block of text and select Style>>Code would help immensely.

Sadly, looks like I'll be checking out OneNote, or KeepIt, or DayOne.

• Like 2

I often add text to the top of an entry so I can identify it quickly. In many cases, I use the same 14 point red bold text, which requires multiple clicks. If there was a simply Style option, I could enter this text and format it with a lot fewer steps.

I am missing one very important thing on evernote. This is styles as most text editors offers. The "bold", "italic", "size", "font" are aweful and even Microsoft Word offer a much better solution: styles. 

Styles allows you to customize text format such as title, subtitles, alignment, code block, quotes... While taking a note I don't need funny formatting. I just want to classify and organize my thoughts efficiently. So please, remove (or at least add an option) and replace the B I U button and Size, Font menus with one single menu with customization styles: titles, subtitiles, paragraph, emphasized text, ... 

1. A section

1.1. A subsection

A paragraph

1.1. Another subsection

Another paragraph

From this it would be great to get a table of content for each note. This feature would make evernote perfect. 

• Like 6
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Canard said:

I don't agree, B I U, font and size belong more to a word processing.

My comment related to the difference between text editing and word processing. 

While I aggree with adding styles. I don't agree with instead of bold/italic/underline

Regardless; you've posted the request
Users can indicate their support using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion

I use the evernote to keep notes for my studies and other prof. works. In both cases the notes are not simple texts, but organized information using Headings, and color/format notations for different things. The problem is that without having Styles I have to manually change color/size/font on different text parts, wasting a lot of time. And some times making wrong style notations. If evernote could support styles (and support some kind of Table of contents utility per note) it could be very handful.

It would be tremendously helpful to have styles we can use, create, modify for easy breaking up of note content.

Heading 1, 2, 3, Title, subtitle, etc

Bullet styles which allow for different symbols per level

This would be great in help read through notes without having to manually highlight, select a font, color, etc each and every time - just pick it from a list.

I recognize what I can do in a WP, but you're missing the point!  The need is quick, reusable, flexible ways to break up the text into sections so things stand out.  It's that simple.  I love the tags and search features, plus being platform agnostic I can be anywhere and have full access.  

Given people are asking, perhaps Evernote should include this feature.

I recognize what I can do in a WP, but you're missing the point!  The need is quick, reusable, flexible ways to break up the text into sections so things stand out.  It's that simple.  I love the tags and search features, plus being platform agnostic I can be anywhere and have full access.  

Given people are asking, perhaps Evernote should include this feature.

Count me in for this one too. I won't use Evernote for more than some basic stuff until this kind of functionality is implemented. This was requested in 2012! Not paying for a product that is lacking such a fundamental writing feature, especially one that is so simple to implement in terms of code/development.

I would love "styles" for headings, such as:

Heading 1

Heading 2

This improve my note taking speed and readability a great deal.  It would also make the notes easier to use (i.e. visually scan) at a later date.  Please include hotkeys for each so I don't need to touch the mouse.  A bit of a stretch but, heading 1 could be:  (Cmd + H + 1) and heading 2 would use a 2 in place of the 1.  No need to remove font size, bold or italic.  They can all stay. 

At the moment the new editor has user-defined text styles for different levels of headings and standard text. Would it be possible for users to add more text styles? It would help me to be able to mark a block as "code" or "citation" for example. 

While I'm asking for stuff and in the spirit of Christmas: how about a styles manager? This would allow us to save styles globally, if wanted, rather than on the level of the individual document. 

This, however, might be getting a long way from the remit of a note-taking application.

I agree on the need for styles. Not having styles is the main reason I have not used Evernote for keeping daily notes of activities. I can't deal with the manual formatting after years of using styles in Word (and WordPerfect, but I digress!). 

It would be nice to have a little paintbrush to format the note in the same font, type size, etc. like we have in Word. Much simpler than select all, go change the font and the size. You have a brush that highlights, which I love, but not paintbrush to uniformise everything. Thanks. 

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Koandco said:

It would be nice to have a little paintbrush to format the note in the same font, type size, etc. like we have in Word. Much simpler than select all, go change the font and the size. You have a brush that highlights, which I love, but not paintbrush to uniformise everything. Thanks. 

I merged your post with an existing request discussion for this feature 

To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, scottyheflin said:

It would be tremendously helpful to have styles we can use, create, modify for easy breaking up of note content.

Heading 1, 2, 3, Title, subtitle, etc

Bullet styles which allow for different symbols per level...

Certainly the heading style is supported in the html format

Personally, for serious word processing features, I switch to a dedicated wp app.  For basic note, I find the Evernote editor adequate

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Canard said:

I am missing one very important thing on evernote. This is styles as most text editors offers.

Sounds more of a word processsing function than text editing

You didn't indicate a platform.  The Windows/Mac platforms have more features, but no styles yet.

There's still hope for heading styles - they're part  of the html format standard