Mutually exclusive Tags (tag enums)

ehrt74

Idea

Hi!

At the moment it is possible to create tags in Evernote for mutually exclusive states ("new", "in progress", "completed"). A note could then be tagged with two or more of these at the same time. Could it be possible to add mutually exclusive tags to Evernote?

On the tag list page there could be a button for "new mutually exclusive tag". clicking on it would allow you to add a name for the mutually exclusive tag and a number of possible state tags. 

Of course, this is basically what a notebook in Evernote is, but a note can only be a member of one folder, while it can have a large number of tags.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Good suggestion, I added my vote

For tag assignment, I use scripting on my Mac   
I can control "mutually exclusive tags"

>>On the tag list page there could be a button for "new mutually exclusive tag". clicking on it would allow you to add a name for the mutually exclusive tag and a number of possible state tags. 

Using the current tag structure, I flag the parent tag, and simply specify the states as child tags

For example:  Status[enums] 
                                Status-New       
                                Status-InProgress      
                                Status-Completed

My script generates a dialog box2027491211_ScreenShot2019-12-20at11_42_30AM.png.864aa350dcf15feeb60564aaf88aec2a.png

• Level 5*

No, not currently possible. Tags are just case-independent labels, with no special properties, and bear no relation to other tags. Even tags that are organized hierarchically bear no relation to other tags in the same sub-tree (except for one usage in the Windows client, which I've found to be pretty much useless, as it's a global setting, and unsupported in the search language).

• Level 5*
On 12/19/2019 at 7:48 PM, ehrt74 said:

At the moment it is possible to create tags in Evernote for mutually exclusive states ("new", "in progress", "completed"). A note could then be tagged with two or more of these at the same time. Could it be possible to add mutually exclusive tags to Evernote?

This is all in how you use EN, you create your own inference.  No special characteristics for tags.