Fairly new user here. I'm experiencing some inconsistency with the Windows client (6.21.2.8716) w.r.t. indenting and tabs.

In the web editor, hitting the Tab key increases the indent level, and Shift-Tab decreases it. In the Windows client, the Tab key seems to insert four spaces, and Shift-Tab doesn't do anything.

I create a note in the web client, and use Tab to indent, say, the last line. I then open that note in the Windows client (the last line is indented). I hit Enter to continue the note. The new line is also indented. There doesn't seem to be any way to decrease the indent at this point - Shift-Tab does nothing. The toolbar button (and corresponding Ctrl-Shift-M shortcut) also does nothing. I can indent further, then decrease, but I cannot decrease beyond the level that the line started on (i.e. that which was set using the web editor).

Seems the Windows client is a bit buggy in this area?

• Level 5*

Hi.  I assume you're using the current web Beta,  where the name explains part of the difference.  Evernote is trying out a new editor on the web,  hence the inconsistency.  However you'll find that due to device and OS and design issues on different platforms there will probably always be differences in behaviour and presentation.  If you need to see the same layout on multiple platforms,  most of us go for a word processor document (which you can open on any device running the same WP software) or a PDF file or a JPG image.  The difference between the PDF and the JPG being that PDF content appears as an icon in mobile and web,  where a JPG is always fully visible.

• Level 5

Hi, @Dseven, and welcome to the forums. I've also experienced some seemingly ineradicable indents in the Windows program with material coming from the Web (not only the Evernote Web editor, either). I think I've found that I have to place the cursor at the beginning of the indented paragraph and backspace to join it to the preceding paragraph, then hit Enter to start a new, non-indented paragraph. Clunky at best. Apparently the Windows program editor is encountering some indent code that it can't properly change or undo. Curiously enough, indents created with Ctrl+M in the Windows program can be undone with Shift+Tab in the Web editor! So yeah, at least bug-like behavior. They are working on a serious update to all the editors, and hopefully this will be among the inconsistencies that get fixed. Don't know how soon that will be, though.

• 2 months later...

Found myself hitting space twice instead of the indent function.  It's not efficient, but the indent uses too much white space and is ugly to boot.  The same can be said for how wasteful the bullets and number lists are as well.  Would really love to see this in some sort of beta release for windows & macs.