Help! My current Evernote acct uses an Enterprise G Suite email address, if I change it to personal email, will it mess up everything up?

mamapork

Idea

Hi. I am currently signed up as an Evernote Premium account that I pay for using my work email address. I want to change it to my personal email (in case I no longer work for this company anymore) but I am not sure if that will mess up everything in my account.

Right now, with my Evernote, I am signed-in using my Enterprise G Suite email login, so when I login at work, it pushes me thru an SSO (Single Sign-On) screen (for security) and then I have to approve it thru my "Duo" (app) to approve it for double security.

If anyone is technical enough in here to understand what I might be asking, can you help answer my question - I want to change my work email address out and use my personal email address. Both are Gmail accounts. But the current one used is an Enterprise G mail login (work email). If I change my email address to a personal regular 'gmail' one, will anything change in my account? I have a ton of stuff there I can't afford to lose. I want to know before I make any changes.  Please help. 

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, jennylee said:

Hi. I am currently signed up as an Evernote Premium account that I pay for using my work email address. I want to change it to my personal email (in case I no longer work for this company anymore) but I am not sure if that will mess up everything in my account.

Today your user ID and the email associated with the account are the same.  You can change the email address to your personal email at any time by going to account settings on the web.  Not sure, but you may need to contact support to change your user ID.  In any case, I don't think that the user ID is attached to the company, it's attached to the account, if that makes sense. 

I think EN set up attempts to simplify things by making user ID be email.  Wasn't the case when I started with EN, then you could create your own user ID and add an email address for the account.

I would also think about whether your EN data base is on a company PC, that would be problematic if you left and didn't have it on your own device, or hadn't deleted from the company device..

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, jennylee said:

I want to change it to my personal email

I don't see a  problem changing the email for your account1634536602_ScreenShot2019-12-12at6_18_32PM.png.368e528f55cb6d71ae1485a48bc9dc9a.png

I suspect your SSO will no longer be valid

>>but aren't all our info and notes stored on the cloud with Evernote? Or is there an option to store it locally on our hard drive? And how do I know where it is currently being stored?

Correct, our data is stored in the cloud      
Users accessing Evernote with Windows/Mac software have a copy of their data stored locally.     
On my Mac, the location is identified by pressing the option key and selecting Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder274336432_ScreenShot2019-12-12at6_12_11PM.png.8db0ac42754e8357949769433ed1f7ec.png

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Yes, our data is stored in the cloud      
Users accessing Evernote with Windows/Mac software have a copy of their data stored locally.     
On my Mac, the location is identified by pressing the option key and selecting Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder

DTLow - Thanks so much for the instructions to find where the Database Folder is, but can you show me what I am suppose to do with all these folders that are in there? (see screenshot below) Is there a specific folder that I should save onto a flash drive of my own?

image.thumb.png.28e78e4d3991407f97ae4da15da0b415.png

So if I don't save any of the files from these folders, are they all still stored on the EN cloud database thought? I guess if I leave the company (since this is my work laptop I am using) and I don't want other people to read my notes or audio files from my machine, then should I delete them when I depart from the company?

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, jennylee said:

what I am suppose to do with all these folders that are in there?

Do nothing works.  The Evernote app takes care of everything
The average user doesn't work at this raw data level

>>So if I don't save any files from these folders, are they all still stored on the EN cloud database?

Correct.  The master version of our data is stored "on the EN Cloud database"     
One exception: Local Notebooks - this is where the data is stored; the only place

Some users back up these folders; they're included in my Time Machine backup     
The more standard backup process is to use Evernote's export feature

>>I guess if I leave the company and don't want other people to read my notes/audio left over on my machine, then I should delete them?

Correct

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, mamapork said:

But IF I do want to save the folders, is there a specific one I should save or its best to save ALL of them that you see on the screenshot above?

I would save all of them - as I said, they're included in my Time Machine backup

fyi       
Content is where your note contents are stored; a folder for each note  
Local Note Store is where your note metadata is stored (SQLite database)
purgatory is where notes go after they're deleted/expunged
                  It's temporary, before they disappear completely
                 (I like that name)