Option to hide junk at top

In Windows I keep getting a link to a recent file opened - at the top of the Notebook.

I don't want this, it is very annoying, a long pathway to a Word file on my PC that I don't need.

How can I stop it from happening?

thanks

• Level 5
On 12/3/2019 at 2:11 AM, t87699 said:

In Windows I keep getting a link to a recent file opened - at the top of the Notebook.

I don't want this, it is very annoying, a long pathway to a Word file on my PC that I don't need.

How can I stop it from happening?

thanks

I believe that's the "URL" section, which wants to helpfully include information about the source of material in a note. It is, for me, one of the most useless and irritating features of Evernote for Windows, for precisely the reason you're describing: a note may have all sorts of information from various places, but that slot will have only one item, not necessarily the one you could use; and it may be the file path of an attached file, the URL of a Website from which you gleaned something 2/3 of the way down the note, an email source, if nothing else the longitude and latitude of the location where you created the note. And it's hard, hard, hard to get rid of. Depending on the size of the window (you may have to show it full screen), there should be a small blue arrow just to the right of the file path. Click that arrow (careful, don't click the file path -- grrr) and you'll get several options, one of which is "Clear". It will stay cleared for awhile, but I can't promise forever. If the path is too long for the arrow to display, click the Info button in the area above and to the right of it, and the same URL and options will be there.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I believe that's the "URL" section, which wants to helpfully include information about the source of material in a note. It is, for me, one of the most useless and irritating features of Evernote for Windows

The URL is actually, in the API, called the "SourceURL", and is intended to be a URL for the note source, in particular, notqbly a web clip came from (http://dev.evernote.com/doc/reference/Types.html#Struct_NoteAttributes). Containing a single URL in this field is not just a Windows thing, btw.. I find the URL field to be incredibly useful (I do a lot of web clips for research-y type notes), and particularly useful in the case where a web clip fails, (as they do sometimes); usually the URL does get captured, and I can just go there and hand clip the content that I want (which is irritating). If I need multiple URLs in a note, I add them to the note body. Its presence in the note header doesn't bother me in general; I typically have a lot of that space filled with tags anyways (tags and notebook name take precedence over URL), and I am able to ignore it like the notes on my fridge: I only heed it if I need it.

This is the problem with Notebook - you cannot turn off all the stupid, annoying add ons.

All I want is a simple Notebook, but Evernote do not let you turn this off. 

I do not want date, tag, share or a long address to some file that I happened to have opened.
I can find a Word file if I want to. I don't need a link.

I am thinking of just asking for my money back. 

The design is very bad.

Complicated, messy and - as you said -  useless and irritating

• Level 5

While on BASIC, think before you speak:

1) What are you complaining about, you are on a free ride. You are on a horse that you got donated, and complain it is not fast enough, or badly trained ?

2) And think longer about WHAT money you want to claim "back". Back means you forwarded something before.

3) If it is so useless and messy, then you should get up and walk out of the door - but please do it silently, we "others" are having a good time in here.

Have a nice day !

I am not on BASIC, think before you USE UNCESSSARY CAPITALS:

1) I am not on a free ride. The horse is not donated, and I have every right to complain it is badly trained.

2) I think about HOW insane the above message is.

3) If it is so useless and messy, then I should get up and walk out of the door - but not SILENTLY as others have are also finding it annoying.

Do not have a nice day !

• Level 5
On 12/5/2019 at 4:49 PM, t87699 said:

This is the problem with Notebook - you cannot turn off all the stupid, annoying add ons.

All I want is a simple Notebook, but Evernote do not let you turn this off. 

I do not want date, tag, share or a long address to some file that I happened to have opened.
I can find a Word file if I want to. I don't need a link.

I am thinking of just asking for my money back. 

The design is very bad.

Complicated, messy and - as you said -  useless and irritating

I've highlighted the most relevant sentence in your post above. It's unfortunate if you've paid for Evernote and find it to be more than you really want. The fact is that Evernote is not a simple notebook; and believe me, most of the requests on these forums are for more features, not fewer. I believe you can in fact cancel a subscription at any time. But it is true that Evernote does make its features (such as tags and sharing) known before one subscribes. The URL field is not prominently mentioned at all, and its purpose does often puzzle users, though it can certainly be useful in specific cases.

The problem is not 'find it to be more than you really want'

The problem is there is no option to hide.

Every other software I have used allows the user to hide features.

For some reason Evernote has decided everything must be present, all the time.

Lots of software has different features,  but these can be seen or not seen.

This is the problem.

• Level 5

Some of the elements can be hidden (such as Print, Delete, Share) by clicking the 3-dot menu at top right of a note and selecting Customize. Unfortunately, the URL is not one of them.

There is a forum for suggesting feature requests for the Evernote Windows program: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/224-evernote-for-windows/. It might be worthwhile to make this request there.

This notebook is good but there is no option to hide all the junk at the top.
I don't want links to files, share, time etc. All I want is a notebook. Why can't these be hidden.

Why do I have to keep having a link to a file I opened, I don't need this.

No matter how many times I had the formatting bar it comes back, then I have to hide it again.

Every other notebook I've used either has these in options, or has the option to hide them. 

This is a great part of the app, but it is ruined by making it over-complicated, messy and annoying by adding features that cannot be turned off or hidden.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, t87699 said:

This notebook is good but there is no option to hide all the junk at the top.

Hi.  There's a use for most of that 'junk' whether or not you personally need it.  Have you tried the Web version,  accessible by signing in through a browser at Evernote.com?  There are a couple of version options which have much less on screen...

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

There is a forum for suggesting feature requests for the Evernote Windows program: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/224-evernote-for-windows/. It might be worthwhile to make this request there.

Hey Dave, I think you're at a level where you can just move topics to more appropriate forums, and I think that that would have been entirely appropriate for the original topic (sometimes I ask before moving, sometimes I just move them). In this case, the @t87699 has now created a new feature request, so I've merged the other topic to this one, as it's all one issue.

Archived