Windows ARM optimised / compatible version

JaviiMii

Idea

Hi - new to the forums so if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry (and please move the thread / direct me to where this needs to go).

I'm considering the surface pro x .... which comes with its own kind of processor. It's new and there isn't a lot out there yet and it seems x86 programs do run.... but not necessarily very well. Evernote is pretty essential for me; the only notes I ever managed to keep for more than two weeks are those that have found their way into Evernote one way or the other - and even though Evernote has its issues and I try to find an alternative every other year or so I haven't been successful and doubt I'll ever be. So not being able to properly run Evernote on the device(s) I use would be a very legit reason for me to not buy that device. And it seems Evernote as it is won't run smoothly on the surface x pro due to the ARM processor.

Long story short: I'd love to have an ARM-optimised version of Evernote. - Are there plans to release a ARM compatible version? If so; rough ETA? If not; why? - And is there any hope there will be plans in the future?

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, JaviiMii said:

Long story short: I'd love to have an ARM-optimised version of Evernote. - Are there plans to release a ARM compatible version? If so; rough ETA? If not; why? - And is there any hope there will be plans in the future?

Hi.  As a subscriber,  you may be able to get some useful comment from Evernote direct via Support.  We're a (mainly) user-supported forum,  so no inside knowledge here;  and Evernote don't (usually) discuss future plans or release date,  but they may be able to comment on how well (or otherwise) the app works with ARM processors.  Even if that's not good,  you will have the option of using the web-based application via sign-in at Evernote.com,  but the web versions are -currently- all (IMHO) substantially less useable than the downloaded app.  If anyone else here is using Evernote on a Surface they'll maybe be able to comment in more detail...

• Like 2

I am a long time Evernote user and I have a Surface Pro X with 8 gigs of RAM. I've been using Evernote on the Pro X for about six weeks now. I have notes dating back 10+ years. I use it to keep work related information as well as personal. (reliability is a must) I've not run into any problems specific to the arm processor. It runs as smoothly on the Pro X as it does on my Lenovo C920 with an intel i5 chip. It typically uses about 250 mb of RAM on the Pro X. The Evernote add in for MS Outlook tends to be a resource hog, but I'm not sure if that is arm related or just the add-in. I've re-visited using OneNote again since getting the Pro X, but handwriting (pen) to text works better in Evernote than OneNote so I'm sticking with Evernote. OneNote has trouble staying in text input mode and erratically switches back to drawing mode. I am very happy with Evernote on the Pro X.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

…. and when word is send, send the message as well:

This is old, deprecated software, AFAIK still running on outdated 32bit code.

It does not have several new functions like Tasks and Home, missing features, and there is no support and no bug fixes. If it stops one day, it is gone.

I am using legacy on my Mac myself, for 2 isolated use cases. But I would not build a business case or a semester preparation on that sort of software.