I am fed up, it’s time for a change

Ok, I’ve had it. Yesterday I entered the Wi-Fi password in Evernote for the animal shelter where I volunteer. This morning, the password is gone, even though the spaces I put in to enter it into at the top of my list are still there! I’ve been working with Evernote Since 2006, and I’m tired of this fatal flaw of simply losing your data even though it’s supposed to be backed up in the cloud. I’ve lost entire notes as well as parts of notes as happened this time. If I can’t enter something and count on it being there the next day, what’s the point? So now I have to go online and search for what people think are the best note taking apps. This time I won’t concern myself so much with features as I will with reliability. This is a fatal flaw in any application; it should’ve been fixed many years ago. I’m open to suggestions. I see people mentioning OneNote and complaining that it to is not being further developed, but I consider that a minor flaw next to reliability.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, salgud said:

This morning, the password is gone, even though the spaces I put in to enter it into at the top of my list are still there!

Loss of data is a serious issue.   I have not experienced this problem with Evernote    
The only issue I've seen reported is with Evernote's sketch feature, and no automatic save function

If needed, I could recover data from backups.      
I have personal backups, and Evernote has a Note History backup

>>what people think are the best note taking apps ... I’m open to suggestions.

There are many "note taking apps" available.     
You already have Apple Notes installed on your IOS device     
Personally, I use Notability on my iPad.  I store the documents in Evernote as note attachments

• Level 5

About 60% of my usage is iOS including the Apple Watch.

Never lost anything up to now, maybe I am the lucky one.

However it is important to leave a note that just got edited before closing the app. This forces a „save“, done locally in the background if not connected to the cloud , which will sync later. I keep most of my notebooks as „offline“ on my iPad. If I know I will be on a fragile internet connection (like in the train, where it is weak and offen with short breaks), I switch sync to the cloud off, and work locally. Maybe these precautions should not be necessary - but I think one should not expect miracles of data integration when on the move.

• Level 5

This is what the history feature is made for.

And to all those on a BASIC account: The note history runs in the background for ALL accounts. While on BASIC you can simply not access it.

But it is like a parachute: If it is life saving, it will be there. Just go for 1 month on a Premium account, and the history is opened. Then one can recover what was maybe deleted by accident. Maybe you find that the Premium is money well spend - stay on. Or fall back to BASIC after the month expires. The note history will continue, for the next time you need it.

P.S. And while on Premium, take the chance to upload all that stuff that did not pass while on BASIC.

• Level 5*

Just to be clear, history will not help if you have deleted an entire note.  There needs to be a note to reference to find history on.  History is great for when you have accidently deleted some part from a note and you want to get back a version before the deletion.  If you have accidentally deleted your entire note and flushed it from your trash you need to rely on personal backups to retrieve it.  It "might" be possible for Evernote support to help get it back but it will depend on several factors.  No harm in asking if you have no other choice.

• Level 5

Yes, but who is flushing the trash ???

At least how I work, I let the trash be trash, because it is out of the way (and out of the search results), but sometimes very useful if you had a bad day before. I only empty it every several months or so.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I only empty it every several months or so.

I probably don't even do it that often but I imagine there are some OCD types that like to tidy up after themselves so just providing a reminder that history may not always keep you out of trouble.

I also never lost a note as far as I can remember. My problem is like the opposite. Notes created in EN for iPhone are recreated after I deleted them in EN for Windows (Desktop). In fact some of them are always there unless I delete them also on EN for iPhone.

Anyway I finally deleted the Evernote app from my iPhone. It was just not giving me any value at all. I'm using Shortcuts to create the EN notes. It works pretty well, but only if you are online.

• Level 5

That sounds spooky. I never had any trouble like this. To me it looks like a sync issue. Normally the sync will send a „move“ command from the device to the EN Server, and from the Server to all other devices. „Move“ because deleting in EN  is in fact moving the note into the „Trash“-notebook. The delete is completed later (often much later) when the trash is emptied.

It seems in your case this movement of a note to the trash was not correctly executed, creating a conflict. Because the iPhone Client does not keep an own database of notes, there was probably something going wrong between the Win-client (which has a local database) and the Server.

Probably you could get this solved, maybe with the help of EN support, by looking what happens on the clients (Win, IOS) and on the server when „deleting“ a note.

Personally I use my iOS client often (appr. 60% of my use time) and would not enjoy to have to delete it. Good luck with sorting this out - maybe you could report on the outcome here in the forum.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Mafaldo said:

I also never lost a note as far as I can remember. My problem is like the opposite. Notes created in EN for iPhone are recreated after I deleted them in EN for Windows (Desktop). In fact some of them are always there unless I delete them also on EN for iPhone.

Anyway I finally deleted the Evernote app from my iPhone. It was just not giving me any value at all. I'm using Shortcuts to create the EN notes. It works pretty well, but only if you are online.

Only notes I've had reappear on my phone are shares or clips done on the phone.  That the type of note that came back in your case?

On 7/12/2019 at 17:45, CalS dijo:

Only notes I've had reappear on my phone are shares or clips done on the phone.  That the type of note that came back in your case?

Exactly, notes created on the phone with the Evernote app installed. Now, after I uninstalled the EN app, I create notes with Shortcuts and search for notes using everPost. Now I don't have problems any more with phantom notes.