Notebook Limit

majorghn

Idea

Evernote's 250 Synced Notebook Limit should be closer to 500, why would they care how many notebooks we created anyway?

I am a premium member, we should have way more than 250 synced notebooks. As long as we stay within the number of notes we are aloud why does it matter?

27 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

The notebook limit for Premium accounts is 1,000   
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247-Evernote-system-limits

>>why would they care how many notebooks we created anyway?

Evernote's primary organization tool is Tags   
- limit 100,000     
- hierarchy supported; unlimited levels   
- multiple entries per note

Evernote uses Notebooks to identify notes as    
- sync'd / local   
- private / shared   

That's for business members! I am talking about regular premium members and synced notebooks, according to what I read we are limited to 250, I wish I had known this before creating my Evernote account, I will be at 250 withing a few months. Guess I will be looking for another Note taking App.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, majorghn said:

That's for business members! I am talking about regular premium members and synced notebooks, according to what I read we are limited to 250, I wish I had known this before creating my Evernote account, I will be at 250 withing a few months. Guess I will be looking for another Note taking App.

Or you could reconsider how you're using notebooks in Evernote. I mainly use them for sharing sets of notes to other accounts, or for designating sets of notes that are to be designated as always available offline on my mobile device (Android); instead, I use tags to categorize my notes so that they're easily found. Of course, if you're determined to use many notebooks (or folders or whatever), then it may be true that a different note program would be better for you.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, majorghn said:

The 1,000 Notebooks you highlighted are Not synced Notebooks

Where did you get that from?  I believe that is total notebooks regardless of whether local or sync'd.  The change from 250 to 1000 is fairly recent.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, majorghn said:

Can you send me a link about the change you are talking about?

The link that @CalS has above is the official help document and here is the forum announcement.  I see the change was actually 2018 ... hmmm seems like yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, s2sailor said:

The link that @CalS has above is the official help document and here is the forum announcement.  I see the change was actually 2018 ... hmmm seems like yesterday.

At the rate I'm going, I'll hit 1000 in about 800 years or so (~12 notebooks in 10 years in my personal account). Think they'll get around to raising the limit by then?

• Level 5*

I'm working my way to 5.  Synced, Local, Inbox, Scans, and Quick for offline notes on the mobile device.  Don't have any share needs so that should do it.  Recovery is holding me back at the moment.  Importing 37k notes to retrieve one seems a bit onerous.  I may keep the other three around for a bit, 24k import then.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, CalS said:

I'm working my way to 5. 

Likewise, I also role with minimal notebooks

>>Recovery is holding me back at the moment.  Importing 37k notes to retrieve one seems a bit onerous

My backups are in HTML format, individual notes
To retrieve one note, I import one note
However HTML import loses all metadata, except for title.  I have to manually reset metedata items 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, CalS said:

Recovery is holding me back at the moment.  Importing 37k notes to retrieve one seems a bit onerous.  I may keep the other three around for a bit, 24k import then.

You could probably hack a copy of the .enex export file to remove all but the note that you want to restore. It's just a text file. Locate the note by searching on "<Title>blahblah" and copy all of the stuff from the opening <en-export...> ti its close </en-export> into a new text file. Copy the header information from the top of your archive into the text file and save is a a .enex file somewhere (like your desktop). Should import back in fine (I did try it).

Basic format:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE en-export SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/evernote-export2.dtd">
<en-export><note> ...
  </note></en-export>

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, jefito said:

You could probably hack a copy of the .enex export file to remove all but the note that you want to restore.

Good idea.  Or copy out the note I want.  You know an editor for a 17GB text file?  Tried notepad real quick and that's a no-go.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

A web search for "windows text editor very large files" turned up https://www.emeditor.com/, among other things...

Thanks for that, thought you might know of one off the cuff.  Methinks I shall do my best to avoid any note delete DAAs, but should one occur stick with brute force, KISS at this point.  :)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Thanks for that, thought you might know of one off the cuff. 

Gosh no. We do deal with multi-gigabyte+ files sometimes for work, but not with a text editor. For the record, the .enex file that I tested against was only ~175 MB, child's play for NotePad++.

• Level 5*

Yeah, I've done my own spelunking with Notepad++.  Had occasion to do some mass find/replace to an export file of target notes, standardized some table widths on my phone log notes.  Probably not even 175 MB, just a couple hundred notes at a time.

7 hours ago, CalS said:

Good idea.  Or copy out the note I want.  You know an editor for a 17GB text file?  Tried notepad real quick and that's a no-go.

Sublime Text could handle it. It'll take a moment to load. But I've loaded 5-6 gb files in that editor.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just went to the EmEditor-website, quite impressive when you have to handle the one or other very large file (structured ones as well, as CSV-structured data sets).

Just made a little math on printing the 17GB mentioned above. If this is plain text, it translates into 27,2 Mio pages of 80 lines of text each. On my home office laser, it would take 5,2 years to print (without any downtime) and leave a stack of paper 1,5km high. Pretty amazing if you think about it.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just went to the EmEditor-website, quite impressive when you have to handle the one or other very large file (structured ones as well, as CSV-structured data sets).

Just made a little math on printing the 17GB mentioned above. If this is plain text, it translates into 27,2 Mio pages of 80 lines of text each. On my home office laser, it would take 5,2 years to print (without any downtime) and leave a stack of paper 1,5km high. Pretty amazing if you think about it.

:huh:  No risk here, the ink in my printer has dried out from lack of use.  

• Haha 1
On 12/2/2019 at 7:59 PM, DTLow said:

Evernote's primary organization tool is Tags   
- limit 100,000     
- hierarchy supported; unlimited levels   
- multiple entries per note

Evernote uses Notebooks to identify notes as    
- sync'd / local   
- private / shared   

Darn... I wish I'd known that at some point in the past 10 years. I have organized my entire existence into Notebooks.

Thanks for the info.