Clipped Formatting Tip: Save as PDF

When using the Web Clipper to bring in content from the web, I noticed that content from certain sites was coming in in an undesirable fashion, with issues ranging from colored backgrounds to poor formatting. None of the potential solutions I read about quite fit the bill for me.

And then I realized, why bother using the Web Clipper at all in these instances? Certainly, the Web Clipper offers a number of useful features, but most of those features would be available within Evernote itself as well.

In these particular cases, what I decided to do was:

• Open up the Print window
  • Set the Destination as "Save as PDF"
  • Save the web page
  • Bring the PDF into Evernote through the most desirable means

Obviously, this process is a bit more time-consuming and cumbersome than simply utilizing the Web Clipper, but in cases where the latter would fail to do an adequate job it would represent a decent-enough workaround.

Another possible use case for this type of workaround would be to capture web page comments that the Web Clipper would not be able to include within its clipped content. In these cases, all you would need to do is:

• Select/highlight the comment(s) in question
  • Right-click
  • Select "Print"
  • Repeat the above steps.

Hope this helps someone out there!

EDIT- I'm a Windows user so the above steps are for a Windows browser, in this case Google Chrome, but the gist of it should be similar across different platforms.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This is a good procedure I often use myself, when I want just the information from a website. Under iOS it is helpful to get the page into „reader mode“ first before converting it in to a pdf. On the desktop platforms the simple clipping mode of web clipper will do the same.

The only thing to think about is that you loose all active elements in the page. Links will not be links any longer, but dead text.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, shadowmoses said:

I noticed that content from certain sites was coming in in an undesirable fashion

PDFs resolve some of the issues, but I still sometimes see messed up content
Screenshots are another alternative

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The only thing to think about is that you loose all active elements in the page. Links will not be links any longer, but dead text.

I also save web pages in web archive format (Mac/iPad)      
The content is viewed in a web browser app

On 11/27/2019 at 3:22 AM, PinkElephant said:

This is a good procedure I often use myself, when I want just the information from a website. Under iOS it is helpful to get the page into „reader mode“ first before converting it in to a pdf. On the desktop platforms the simple clipping mode of web clipper will do the same.

Good point. It's definitely not a solution for all cases.

On 11/27/2019 at 8:08 AM, DTLow said:

PDFs resolve some of the issues, but I still sometimes see messed up content
Screenshots are another alternative

True. Personally, I tend to shy away from screenshots in cases where the desired clipping would exceed the range of a single screenshot (although you could just take multiple screenshots) as well as in cases where OCR might be less reliable and/or cumbersome. Otherwise, they are another option as well.