Jump to content
  • 3
Maartenjvandoorn

Bi-directional referencing by default

Idea

It would be great if, every time I put the internal link to note A in note B, I also get to see in note A that it's mentioned in note B. This would make organizing my research a lot earlier. 'Mentioned in' could become an extra property for a note (just like, date created etc): "This note is referenced in these notes: ...". 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

5 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I believe that the single most important feature that could be added to Evernote is the ability to link forward to another note.

Currently you need to go to the note that you want to reference; copy the link; go back to where you want to place the link and paste! That's a terrible workflow. From within the document that you are in, you should be able to call on a filtering dropdown of all your notes with a shortcut key and insert the link via selecting the note you want from the dropdown. Obsidian does it in-place, so does Roam Research.

My prediction: if Evernote does not add this feature ASAP they will not have a business. Period. Evernote have absolutely nothing to lose by adding this feature and every other new note taking application has recognized the need for inter-connected notes yet Evernote has remained silent on this new trend in note taking.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
7 hours ago, samixxx said:

I believe that the single most important feature that could be added to Evernote is the ability to link forward to another note.

I moved your post to a more appropriate discussion

You're welcome to indicate support for the request by using the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion    
The request currently has 1 user vote

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
7 hours ago, samixxx said:

Currently you need to go to the note that you want to reference; copy the link; go back to where you want to place the link and paste! That's a terrible workflow. From within the document that you are in, you should be able to call on a filtering dropdown of all your notes with a shortcut key and insert the link via selecting the note you want from the dropdown.

You can open the note in its own window, find the other note in the main window, drag the note into the first note and drop a link.  A bit quicker than all the copy/paste in the meantime pending EN ever implementing this.

7 hours ago, samixxx said:

My prediction: if Evernote does not add this feature ASAP they will not have a business. Period.

I doubt this is the feature that will drive EN out of business.  The lack of nested notebooks has generated a LOT more noise.  And password protecting notes or notebooks.  🤷‍♂️ 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 7/16/2020 at 10:40 AM, CalS said:

I doubt this is the feature that will drive EN out of business.  The lack of nested notebooks has generated a LOT more noise.  And password protecting notes or notebooks.  🤷‍♂️ 

I disagree. I've been an EN premium user for years, and I'm now considering leaving EN and exporting my 5000+ notes to other note-taking apps precisely for the lack of bi-directional links. For years, EN has focused on capturing data through as many sources as possible, but the development of data relational retrieval has been almost abandoned. "Context" suggestions are a very limited approach to show the connections and relations among notes. Bi-directional links allow us to do exactly this!

The new generation of note-taking apps (Amplenote, Obsidian, Roam Research, etc.) is capitalizing on the persistently weak relational capabilities of EN. If EN developers continue failing to understand that the future of note-taking apps is not on data capture but data relationality, I also predict that EN will be out of business soon. Please revamp EN AI as soon as possible and let the users guide the "Context" algorithm through bi-directional links. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 8/1/2020 at 1:37 PM, JuanoManzano said:

I disagree. I've been an EN premium user for years, and I'm now considering leaving EN and exporting my 5000+ notes to other note-taking apps precisely for the lack of bi-directional links. For years, EN has focused on capturing data through as many sources as possible, but the development of data relational retrieval has been almost abandoned. "Context" suggestions are a very limited approach to show the connections and relations among notes. Bi-directional links allow us to do exactly this!

The new generation of note-taking apps (Amplenote, Obsidian, Roam Research, etc.) is capitalizing on the persistently weak relational capabilities of EN. If EN developers continue failing to understand that the future of note-taking apps is not on data capture but data relationality, I also predict that EN will be out of business soon. Please revamp EN AI as soon as possible and let the users guide the "Context" algorithm through bi-directional links. Thank you!

Semantics, but I think relationship capabilities as opposed to relational capabilities better defines bi-directional links.  The relational capability, in data base parlance, of EN is supported by the use of tags.  Whatever the case and skipping the drama time will tell what happens to EN and the rest.  My view, find what works best for a use case and leverage it as long as you can or until it doesn't. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...