Searching existing note data is inconsistently available. It appears to depend on how you are connected. WiFi is particularly unreliable. When searching for a note I know I have, it returns an empty result. This is HIGHLY annoying and wastes significant time. Please, please, please fix this as the current state renders Evernote almost useless at the most critical times. 

Thank you. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  As you're a subscriber,  report this to https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new - we're a (mainly) user-supported forum,  so there's no fixes here... just helpful suggestions and work arounds.  As regards your searches - is the note you refer to one that was only recently edited or created,  or have you found this an issue with long standing data?

• 3 weeks later...

Second that. Why can the search function not parse the text out of a title and find fragments? If my title is "ismarthome" and I search all notebooks for "smart" it will never find the note. What is the point in having a search function that expects you to remember the exact phrase you typed if you are trying to use search to find it???

And do not even get me started on the fact every other time I switch out of iOS Evernote and then back in, it has to refresh and reload the screen EVEN though I have downloaded my entire notebook. Why?

Long time user. Just not an entirely trusted repository if I cannot rely on it to have an effective search function and then editing notes and switching back and forth,  it loses connectivity or loses all your Apple Pencil scribblings you just took from a meeting.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, rootdr said:

Why can the search function not parse the text out of a title and find fragments?

The search indexing operates on specific rules which do not include parsing text   
You're welcome to add your vote to a feature request; vote buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, rootdr said:

Am I out of touch to think that a search function like this seems completely normal?

No, it's a valid request.    
My only concern would be a  performance hit on our devices.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, rootdr said:

Am I out of touch to think that a search function like this seems completely normal?

You can do it, you just need to use offline notebooks.

The IOS version of EN relies on the server for searches and data so you have to have access to wireless or cellular coverage.   With offline notebooks all notes in those notebooks are searchable.  So if you make all your notebooks off line you will always have access.  

• Level 5*
On 11/20/2019 at 6:56 AM, lpg (for Evernote) said:

When searching for a note I know I have, it returns an empty result.

Please provide specific details; like a screenshot of the search and the note

>>It appears to depend on how you are connected. WiFi is particularly unreliable. 

If you have internet access, the search is run at the server    
I wouldn't expect any difference with Wifi vs Cell access

Without internet access, the search is run locally.    
Offline notebooks provide a complete set of data.

Thank you both for your replies. To clarify, I was using the MacOS version of Evernote and searching (CMD-OPT-F) for text that was in a title.

Note title is "iSmartGate ..."

Search could not find "gate" or "smart." Search ONLY worked when I typed "ismart"

Tech support had me re-create the Spotlight Index. Thought I waited for the indexing to complete and searched again. 

Search did not return expected result again. 

Created a new note on iOS device with the same word in it and let it sync.

Search on Mac platform then was able to successfully pull the word fragment.

Still don't understand it.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, rootdr said:

Search on Mac platform then was able to successfully pull the word fragment.

I suspect you're using Find in Note; this is a different feature that Search Notes

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, rootdr said:

Note title is "iSmartGate ..."

Search could not find "gate" or "smart." Search ONLY worked when I typed "ismart"

Oops on the first post.  :blush:  En search only finds a term at the start of the word, it is how it was designed.  There are other threads on the forum requesting within a word search, no action on EN's part. 

FYI, within that context adding intitle: to the front of the search term will only look for the term in note titles, typically cutting down on the number of notes returned.  So intitle:iSmart* will only find note where the title contains a word starting with ismart.  FWIW.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I suspect you're using Find in Note; this is a different feature that Search Notes

No sir. Been using EN since 2009. I do know the difference between search and find in note. Hence my listing my KB shortcut CMD-OPT-F. 

I would like again to thank both of you for being on these forums and providing the service you do.

Interestingly, tech support was able to reproduce the issue on Mac and iOS that I was suffering from! It’s been moved up the line to engineer level support. I will report back on the fix/issue when I know more. 
Cheers.