Clipping From Android Phone Apps - EN NOT Saving to Default Notebook!?

I use EN-for Windows, most of the time, followed by my Android Phone, and then iPad.  On all 3 devices, I have checked and can confirm that my default notebook is displayed/set correctly on all.

However when I 'share/clip' a webpage or video, using Android Phone apps such Google Chrome or YouTube, by using the share icon, then select Evernote, EN saves the resulting 'full article' clip to a Notebook that is NOT my default notebook! Any ideas how to fix this?

Note:  When I do the exact same procedure from my iPad, YES EN-for iPad saves the clip to the correct Default Notebook as expected, so its just happening on my EN-for Android phone. 

I have 2 of the 3 EN widgets offered, installed on my Android phone home screen(s).  When creating a new note using the widget icons, I can confirm that in this instance EN uses my correct default notebook...so the issue only occurs when sharing/clipping from other apps installed on my phone...any ideas how to fix this? cheers

EDIT: Can a moderator like @gazumped please put this Post in the EN-for-Android Forum...thought I posted there.  This is about my Android Phone app/usage

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, RavBoy said:

EDIT: Can a moderator like @gazumped please put this Post in the EN-for-Android Forum...thought I posted there.  This is about my Android Phone app/usage

I had previously moved it to the web clipper forum, as it's also a web clipper issue. It probably makes no difference, as it will be seen either way.

But my experience is that the web clippers tend to be separately configurable from the applications; for example, on Windows, the web clipper doesn't appear to use the default notebook as configured in the Windows application (Tools / Options / General / Default Notebook). On Android, configuring the default web clipper notebook is not obvious, but you can do it by tapping on the web clipper "elephant" icon while it's clipping, and you can set the notebook there. It's different from the default notebook in the Android web clipper application, at least it is on my device. And that's why I consider the Evernote applications and the web clippers to be different application, and try to push web clipper problems towards the web clipper specific forums, in case they're different teams (I don't know how the teams are split up, or how the forums here are covered by Evernote staff).

But it's your post, so I'll leave it alone...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Yeah - in Android you can tap the 'saving' button to choose a notebook,  but whether that's (as I think it is) a sticky setting or it reverts to default,  it should at least be consistent...

Appears to be sticky; at least it stuck when I tried it again on a different page.

I'm OK with it being different between the client applications and the web clippers.

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, jefito said:

I'm OK with it being different between the client applications and the web clippers.

Agreed - my comment was in context of the OP's comments that the Android clipper was causing an issue,  and I got the impression that clips were being saved to more than one non-default notebooks.  In that case Android Clipper wouldn't necessarily be the issue,  because it should be consistent in the notebook to which it saves - unless deliberately changed.

However,  the OP actually said: 

20 hours ago, RavBoy said:

EN saves the resulting 'full article' clip to a Notebook that is NOT my default notebook! Any ideas how to fix this?

- which means that if that is one single notebook,  it might just be the settings in Android Clipper that are causing the issue. 

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, gazumped said:

In that case Android Clipper wouldn't necessarily be the issue,  because it should be consistent in the notebook to which it saves - unless deliberately changed.

And because the Android clipper doesn't support the "Smart Filing" or "Last Used" options that the standard web clipper does.

5 hours ago, jefito said:

web clippers tend to be separately configurable from the applications; for example, on Windows, the web clipper doesn't appear to use the default notebook as configured in the Windows application (Tools / Options / General / Default Notebook)

Yeah, that's my experience also. Never really thought about this till now. I just changed settings in web-clipper (for Chrome) so that both web clipper and EN windows both have same default notebook.  My setting was set to 'smart filing', which i might actually switch back to 🥴

I guess my unconsidered-till-now reason for configuring Windows default notebook, has been to try and force other devices to use it.  And this approach has worked when using EN on iPad, but not so great on my Samsung Note8 Android EN-App.

On Android, configuring the default web clipper notebook is not obvious, but you can do it by tapping on the web clipper "elephant" icon while it's clipping, and you can set the notebook there

Will give this a go, thanks.  The elephant icon has an outer ring denoting how long/time left to complete the clip, so as long as i can press this inside the on average 2 seconds-to-clip time, then this hopefully will work.

It's different from the default notebook in the Android web clipper application

Is there another EN web clipper app for Android???  is that what you mean?

But it's your post, so I'll leave it alone...

You're a good man...and i don't care what anyone says! 😜

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Yeah - in Android you can tap the 'saving' button to choose a notebook,  but whether that's (as I think it is) a sticky setting or it reverts to default,  it should at least be consistent...

Appears to be sticky; at least it stuck when I tried it again on a different page.

Woohoo...Cheers @jefito it worked!  When clipping a page from EN Android, pressing the elephant icon while it was performing a 'full article' clip indeed does bring up a box that let me change notebook, and YES the change was sticky, or remained for subsequent clips...nice thanks. 

BUT we have a new problem Houston!?  Clips look strange/appear faulty, when I sync my EN windows app, admittedly only a minute later, and look at the notes/clips just made on EN Android phone... here's an example when Sharing-to-EN/ clipping from different Android Apps: YT, Chrome, News 360

YT-YouTube app (on Android)

image.thumb.png.25f854a1c96c33216c059101b14af619.png

Google Chrome app (on Android)

image.thumb.png.10dc690d970cc4d9d89d19a981c8dad4.png

News 360 app (on Android)

image.thumb.png.6b3b30b86cf0f82e07e5ed202a7ff964.png

So riddle me that, BatMan

EDIT:  Think perhaps I have to wait like 5+ minutes for EN server to do its thing before syncing my EN Windows...will try now

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

Hey @gazumped cheers mate.  Here's my settings as requested. Note when using EN-for-Windows I'm on version 6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750)

Annotation 2019-11-21 070412.png

Note that this dialog refers to the Evernote screen clipper, not the web clipper, as far as I can tell. The web clipper doesn't talk to the Evernote Windows client; it talks to the Evernote servers.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

The web clipper doesn't talk to the Evernote Windows client; it talks to the Evernote servers.

Agreed - but if checking the Android clipper doesn't show the reason for clips going astray,  it can't hurt to switch it to 'selected notebook' for a short while and choose the default... just to see if it makes a difference... ;)

Edit:  Oops.   Makes note:  remember to read the whole thread history before posting next time...  Sitting down now...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jefito said:

The web clipper doesn't talk to the Evernote Windows client; it talks to the Evernote servers.

These sorts of distinctions really help me to improve my understanding and hence use of EN, cheers.

6 hours ago, jefito said:

that this dialog refers to the Evernote screen clipper, not the web clipper,

I don't follow.  Can you please explain what the Windows based EN Screen Clipper is???

Finally, I did have to wait some time before EN resolved/fixed the screen shots i uploaded...however the clips were still not formatted very well.  Again this was when sharing-to-EN/Clipping from EN-android phone.  I will try another clip and mid-way through will tap the EN elephant icon and then deselect the 'full article' option and see if the formatting improves... cheers gents for the answers & help

On 11/21/2019 at 1:24 AM, jefito said:

Evernote applications and the web clippers to be different application, and try to push web clipper problems towards the web clipper specific forums, in case they're different teams

I didn't really get what you said, as quoted above. 

But after just now testing EN-Android 'Full Article' Clip (of a webpage using Android Chrome app, then Share to EN), compared to clipping the same web page using EN Windows, web-clipper for Chrome, the resulting Note clipped on windows was much better, with regards to its formatting, more complete, no missing blocks of info etc etc.  So big differences...and I see now how these different clipper applications for each platform create different end results when viewing the resulting clipped notes. And I suspect how websites render on mobiles v desktop PC plays a part also.

I have decided that when wanting to capture a webpage, YT video etc, when on my Android phone I will ensure that the EN 'Full Article' option is deselected, this results in a simple bookmark type note containing just a Note Title and URL, that I can later open the URL and clip it again from Windows...so a 2 step shuffle.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, RavBoy said:

I don't follow.  Can you please explain what the Windows based EN Screen Clipper is???

The Evernote Windows application, when installed, also includes the Evernote Helper (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005067-How-to-use-Evernote-Helper-for-quick-notes-and-screenshots), which includes a separate screen capture (or screen clipper) utility which can clip images from your Windows screen; that's what " Windows based EN Screen Clipper" refers to. It is super useful: you can clip to a new Evernote note, to the clipboard, or save the clip to a new image file on the Windows desktop. You can define an area to clip by drawing a box, or just click on a window to capture it.

The screen clipper is  wholly separate  from the web-based  clipper extension, which can only clip from web pages. It's configured in the main Evernote application: Tools / Options / Clipping, and the settings there don't have anything to do with configuring the web clipper. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that info, good to know.  Currently I just use/press the print screen button on my keyboard, which allows me to take whole screen, or partial screen, by drag handles for whatever size screen capture i need, then just CTRL+V into my existing note I'm working on.  Whereas this EN feature that's accessed via right-click on the EN icon in my tray, creates a new note, for each screen-cap instead of adding to the the note I'm working, so not ideal for me.  Even the 'past clipboard' feature creates a new note.  Anyway nice to know this feature exists...cheers

image.png.1ca4de57102a064e18bf7e52e727a118.png

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

creates a new note, for each screen-cap

Not sure what you're looking for but check under 'shortcut keys' in Evernote Windows.  One of the options there is 'Capture Screen'.  I tend to capture some web clips by using the web clipper to to create a note,  then the key combo for Capture Screen to highlight an area to copy.  If you hold Shift while selecting,  the copy will go to Desktop rather than a new note.  Then I can drag n drop the copied area into the clipped note to complete my capture.  Copy and paste is usually an option too.

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

check under 'shortcut keys' in Evernote Windows

According to the EN article Jefito shared above, re EN Helper, the shortcut to 'Clip Screenshot' is:   Win + Shift + S   -or- just right click the tray icon and select menu option.  The shortcut key does NOT work for me... as my MS default installed app 'Snip & Sketch' activates instead (perhaps this shortcut sequence is hijacked). 

Beyond this, I think you're comments refer to the 'EN Browser Web Clipper' extension for chrome/windows... My last question to Jefito was to distinguish between Browser web-clipper screen capture (just captures area of web browser window) & EN screen capture (captures anywhere on PC screen, including EN app-window).  I just didnt know EN had such a thing.  But when I tried it I realised it didn't work as well as my existing method, tis all.  😉 cheers mate

• Like 1
  • Level 5

``

9 hours ago, RavBoy said:

According to the EN article Jefito shared above, re EN Helper, the shortcut to 'Clip Screenshot' is:   Win + Shift + S   -or- just right click the tray icon and select menu option.  The shortcut key does NOT work for me... as my MS default installed app 'Snip & Sketch' activates instead (perhaps this shortcut sequence is hijacked). 

Both in EN Helper and in regular Evernote, for me the shortcut for clipping a screenshot (the one with the cross-hairs) is Win+PrintScreen. I've customized some of these shortcuts, but I don't think that is one of them; I believe Win+PrintScreen is the default. The Help articles online are unfortunately sometimes out of date. The key definitions in the Windows program can also be seen in the settings: Tools > Options > Shortcut keys.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, RavBoy said:

@dconnet has posted on this a number of times -- basically, Windows shortcuts are first-come-first-served (and another program cannot then hijack them), and Win+Shift+S is now reserved for the WIndos lipping functionality. You can cange the shortcut key in options -- I use Ctrl+Alt+S, as it's easy to reach with my left hand.

• Like 1