So so so so slow

• Level 5*
On 11/17/2019 at 12:56 PM, Poki said:

This is unworkably slow.  I will look at another option.  Simply does not work.  Far worse that is was a few years ago

Hi.  What version of Windows do you have,  and are you using the installed Evernote app or browser access?

I find that indexing programs can interfere with Evernote, specifically the old Google desktop program; when I excluded all Evernote folders in the Google desktop program, speed improved considerably.

I have the  C drive excluded in the Windows search index.  If you don't use Windows search much, you could try disabling the search index completely.

As suggested, Antivirus programs may slowdown your computer to some degree, a necessary evil.  Try disabling yours temporarily and see what you find.

• Level 5

Regarding antivirus SW, my experience of some years ago was that Norton slowed even simple tasks to a crawl.

Ever since I have used Kaspersky, with no noticeable effect on system performance.

I am now rethinking my security setup and am considering to move on to Windows defender, that got better and better over the last years In comparison tests. And I dislike the additional security software because it tends to dig very deep into the security architecture of the OS. It is behaving more and more like the evil it should prevent.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I find that indexing programs can interfere with Evernote, specifically the old Google desktop program; when I excluded all Evernote folders in the Google desktop program, speed improved considerably.

I have the  C drive excluded in the Windows search index.  If you don't use Windows search much, you could try disabling the search index completely.

As suggested, Antivirus programs may slowdown your computer to some degree, a necessary evil.  Try disabling yours temporarily and see what you find.

Great points.  Most of the Microsoft "helping" software can be disabled without much if any effect other than the very positive effect of improved performance.

11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I am now rethinking my security setup and am considering to move on to Windows defender,

I finally gave up on Avast and now use Defender.  Aside from the doubts about relying fully on a Microsoft built in solution, everything simply runs better now. 

No security issues so far, but I tend to avoid media sites (game & movie sites), which are notorious for security problems.

• Level 5*

@PinkElephant and @Don Dz

Went through the same navel gazing and moved to Defender from McAfee after reading some of the more recent reviews earlier in the year.  Some trepidation at first but things seem to be working fine.  Hopefully my VPN is flat blocking the more notorious malware sites.  Plus it blocks ads which isn't all bad.

• Level 5

A VPN (if not loaded with additional stuff) will not go in harms way. It just shields the way the information is taking, not the information itself. It will perfectly transport the e-mail with the emotet-attachment into your mails inbox.

There is another issue with Kaspersky: I learned earlier this year they had placed a unique identifier on to every users webtraffic. This identifier was replacing the identifiers the websites attached to their traffic, by this masking these trackers. The websites could no connect the new traffic to older one, making it harder to build user history. 

But the Kaspersky identifier was not random, so it was worse: It allowed the owner of the PC to be identified cross website and platform ! It is not known whether this was (ab-)used by anybody, but the data pile with this information is still somewhere, and could be used to reconstruct internet usage years back.

I really do not care whether this was a badly designed piece of software, or it was intentionally. For me it’s a serious breach of data privacy from a company I have paid to protect it, and this is it regarding Kaspersky.

Archived