Best way to share Evernote account with business partner

Hi there!

I have a personal basic Evernote account. I run a small business with my business partner and we need a way to collect and share the recipes that we use for our business (and also allow others to at some point sign in and look at them, interns perhaps down the road). I have an Android and she has an iphone and we will mostly be using it on our phone for now. I don't want to share a Notebook with her because we will need multiple Notebooks. We use Google drive to organize everything else, but want to use Evernote for it's recipe sharing usability. 

Should I 

A - add a business account to my account and then she can access it? Will this mean she signs in using our business email or does she just get on Evernote with her personal email?

B - creat a seperate account with our business email? then we would both sign on through that email?

C - another option I don't know about?

Thanks everyone

Cordon

• Level 5

If you want to share, you can do this already with the basic account. It will work, but only with the restrictions that come with the Basic status.

To use the sharing, one of you needs to create a notebook and share it to the other person. Then both can load stuff in this shared notebook, and take it out. But only the account that created the shared notebook will have full control over it. You can create more than one shared notebook if you want.

It gets better if the person who creates the notebook is on a Premium account. With this come features like searchability of content (pdfs and pictures as well) and note history (a change log). The other person can stay on Basic.

Business Accounts are a completely different thing. They are build to support a group of users in close interaction. One can define user groups to work jointly on a set of documents, arrange workflows, control user access to notebooks etc. In a Business account there must be at least one admin who sets it up and maintains the structure. All participants get 2 accounts, one for collaboration and one for personal use. Both have Premium rights, and the business one has additional powers, but is under control of the admin user. The personal one comes on top, for use on non-business notes.

From how I understand your usecase, I would go with one or both participants on Premium level, and crate the necessary shares. Business is not needed for what you describe, and seems a bit of overkill for it.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Goodness Cooks said:

We use Google drive to organize everything else, but want to use Evernote for it's recipe sharing usability. 

Hi.  If you're solely talking about maintaining a library of recipes which you both can access,  I don't see what extra features Evernote could give you.  If you're comfortable with Google Drive - and unless you see limitations that aren't leaping out at me - I'd suggest you go with that...  otherwise I agree with @PinkElephant - a couple of Basic accounts,  or one Premium and one Basic should cover your needs.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  If you're solely talking about maintaining a library of recipes which you both can access,  I don't see what extra features Evernote could give you.  If you're comfortable with Google Drive - and unless you see limitations that aren't leaping out at me - I'd suggest you go with that...  otherwise I agree with @PinkElephant - a couple of Basic accounts,  or one Premium and one Basic should cover your needs.  Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback! Evernote has the searchability, which we need, and some organizational/layout things that make it very appealing for recipe collecting and sharing. 

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

If you want to share, you can do this already with the basic account. It will work, but only with the restrictions that come with the Basic status.

To use the sharing, one of you needs to create a notebook and share it to the other person. Then both can load stuff in this shared notebook, and take it out. But only the account that created the shared notebook will have full control over it. You can create more than one shared notebook if you want.

It gets better if the person who creates the notebook is on a Premium account. With this come features like searchability of content (pdfs and pictures as well) and note history (a change log). The other person can stay on Basic.

Business Accounts are a completely different thing. They are build to support a group of users in close interaction. One can define user groups to work jointly on a set of documents, arrange workflows, control user access to notebooks etc. In a Business account there must be at least one admin who sets it up and maintains the structure. All participants get 2 accounts, one for collaboration and one for personal use. Both have Premium rights, and the business one has additional powers, but is under control of the admin user. The personal one comes on top, for use on non-business notes.

From how I understand your usecase, I would go with one or both participants on Premium level, and crate the necessary shares. Business is not needed for what you describe, and seems a bit of overkill for it.

Thanks this is very helpful! I have a question though - from what I can tell, you can't create Notebooks within Notebooks. Is this correct? It seems like a very useful function. We need to create a way to separate our groups of note recipes (soups, beef, breads, etc) and I don't want to have to go through the sharing Notebook process with my partner every time I create a new Notebook (unless I have to). We will have up to 20 shared notebooks eventually - is this even possible?

THANK YOU!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can share one or more notebooks.

But it is a widespread misunderstanding that notebooks are the prime organisational tool with EN.

The main tool to organize notes are tags. Tags describe content, and you can assign several of them to one single note. You can use them independently, or you can create a hierarchy of tags, nesting one into another.

Example: You could tag a cake recipe with „nuts“ and „fruit“ plus „cake“. This allows independence of one tag from another. Or you could create a 1st level Tag called „cake“, and beneath it one for „cake:fruit“ and one for „cake:nuts“. Then you may find it easier to break all cake recipes down into sub categories, but you may have to decide whether a cake belongs more into fruits or nuts, or both.

The advantage of tags is that you can assign as many tags to a note as you see fit, and they can be of very different types. For example you could use tags like „new“, „planned“ and „tested“ to set up a workflow to try out new recipes, a ranking structure to assign stars depending on the result, a set of effort tags to describe how hard it is to cook it etc. Tags give you complete freedom. Maybe read this   https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314388-Organize-with-tags   

For powerful tagging (tag assigning) it is better to use a desktop client (Win or Mac) instead of a mobile client. In the desktop clients you can select a number of notes at the same time, and assign the same tags to all of them. On the mobile clients this has to be done note by note.

Advanced search will enable you to to find only those notes that carry all tags you specify. See    https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

Conclusion: Set up one notebook to control how and with whom the content is shared. Use tags to organize the notes in that notebook into a logical meta-structure. Use search to retrieve information. For this a Premium account helps a lot, because it makes all content fully searchable, including pdf and picture files.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You can share one or more notebooks.

But it is a widespread misunderstanding that notebooks are the prime organisational tool with EN.

The main tool to organize notes are tags. Tags describe content, and you can assign several of them to one single note. You can use them independently, or you can create a hierarchy of tags, nesting one into another.

Example: You could tag a cake recipe with „nuts“ and „fruit“ plus „cake“. This allows independence of one tag from another. Or you could create a 1st level Tag called „cake“, and beneath it one for „cake:fruit“ and one for „cake:nuts“. Then you may find it easier to break all cake recipes down into sub categories, but you may have to decide whether a cake belongs more into fruits or nuts, or both.

The advantage of tags is that you can assign as many tags to a note as you see fit, and they can be of very different types. For example you could use tags like „new“, „planned“ and „tested“ to set up a workflow to try out new recipes, a ranking structure to assign stars depending on the result, a set of effort tags to describe how hard it is to cook it etc. Tags give you complete freedom. Maybe read this   https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314388-Organize-with-tags   

For powerful tagging (tag assigning) it is better to use a desktop client (Win or Mac) instead of a mobile client. In the desktop clients you can select a number of notes at the same time, and assign the same tags to all of them. On the mobile clients this has to be done note by note.

Advanced search will enable you to to find only those notes that carry all tags you specify. See    https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

Conclusion: Set up one notebook to control how and with whom the content is shared. Use tags to organize the notes in that notebook into a logical meta-structure. Use search to retrieve information. For this a Premium account helps a lot, because it makes all content fully searchable, including pdf and picture files.

Super clear, thank you. I've already been implementing what you've recommended! Creating tags for each type of recipe and so on! ;)  I am finally understanding the hierarchy system - I guess it's there so you can look at your tags in an organized way right? Like chapters within volumes of books? 

So far so good! Now I have to get my partner to understand how to tag properly - will she be able to see all the tags that I am creating on her Evernote the way I see it if she is using a shared Notebook? 

Thanks again!

Cordon

• Level 5

You will do fine. Experiment what works best for you, don’t be shy to make a step back if you feel another logic works better. Just one more final hint: When changing tagging, apply the new tags first, before deleting the old ones.

When my wife and I started collaborating on information through EN, we did it through a shared notebook for recipes. We still put new recipes into it, add the little crucial information gained by trying, typing it right into the note holding the original recipe, add pictures etc. We are both on Premium accounts, because it makes finding the information so much easier.

Enjoy sharing, cooking and of course eating the outcome !