Screen Snap--> Capture not working

This wasn't happening before I upgraded my computer. Is skitch compatible with the new mac system? 

Anytime I try to take a screenshot, the image does not capture what's on my screen - it takes a screenshot of my desktop background instead. I've tested this on my computer and my colleagues' and can confirm it's only happening to Macs that upgraded to the new Catalina system. 

Please advise as Skitch is rendering useless right now. 

• Like 1

When I got to my settings and look at the screen recording section, I only have 2 apps listed I can give permission to and Skitch is not one of them, even though I have skitch downloaded on my mac. Please help! I need skitch! 

• 4 weeks later...

Skitch was working so far without any issues. I recently updated the OS and its now macOS Catalina (mac airbook 2017 model).  When i tried to take a screenshot, only the underlying desktop/wallpaper image was captured.

Skitch version - 2.8.4

I even uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I still could not capture what i wanted. 

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

If it does not show, the installation has not taken place, out of whatever reason.

Make sure you have the necessary admin rights with the User you use, and try again. Make a complete uninstall of all Skitch-related stuff before by using the app AppCleaner, to start this with a blank sheet.

• 3 months later...

I removed Skitch with AppCleaner, reinstalled from the App Store, but Skitch did not request screen recording capability, nor can I find a way to add it. Skitch is currently not usable for me on a freshly installed load of Catalina.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 9:49 PM, Mikerj said:

I removed Skitch with AppCleaner, reinstalled from the App Store, but Skitch did not request screen recording capability, nor can I find a way to add it. Skitch is currently not usable for me on a freshly installed load of Catalina.

I had the same issue after recently swapping computers for work. It's likely that you downloaded Skitch and it's operating from the default download directory instead of Applications.

1. Close Skitch
  2. Open your finder and locate where the Skitch app is
  3. Drag the icon into Applications
  4. Relaunch the Skitch program from Applications

After this I was able to take screenshots again, even without setting permissions.

• 5 months later...