Duplicate Devices Bug - SUPPORT NEEDED

PXT

Idea

Please help me out on this! Evernote has been counting my single iPhone as if it were two different devices for a while now, as shown on the attached picture. Both “iPhone” and “(name)’s iPhone” are the exact same phone-they have the same log-in times, not to mention that I only have one iPhone and nobody else has access to my account. Up until recently, the unsync devices pop-up would come up, I’d de-select the “second” iPhone, and everything would work fine. However, with Evernote now limiting de-syncs, I’m afraid I’ll get locked out of my account if I don’t get this fixed urgently. Any advice? Anyone else had this bug?

28F21FB3-7D25-49FC-919A-43A3CC794EFC.jpeg

• Like 1

24 replies to this idea

I only have a laptop and a phone using Evernote, there is no third device on my account but Evernote randomly duplicates my phone sometimes so it shows up as two different devices. It happens repeatedly every few days after I unsync the duplicate.

i don’t see any way to contact support without a premium membership (which also leads me closer to leaving Evernote at this point, that’s a terrible business practice...) so please let me know if this is the right place to post bugs or if this is a better point of contact.

D62E829A-E9DA-438B-AD48-908A3C396421.png

E1C0B275-623E-4FCC-BDDB-B5C78814C16E.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Nordelectro2 said:

i don’t see any way to contact support without a premium membership

All accounts can contact support at Twitter @evernotehelps

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This seems a bit odd. I have no limit, but registration of devices should work the same. And I find only those that I own, no duplicates.

As a first step I would go to the web client at Evernote.com, and unregister all devices there. Then register your 2 devices again, and see what happens.

Once you are there: Under security, access you can check whether the registered access to your account matches your usage. Not that I think there is a security problem, but maybe check whether you are really alone in your account.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 11/12/2019 at 3:55 PM, PXT said:

with Evernote now limiting de-syncs

Hi.  Have you seen that anywhere other than in these Forums?  Because even our Admin doesn't seem to know whether it's policy or not.

As to the general question,  I'm not aware of any way to show Evernote that these are the same device.  If you do get locked out while only using two devices we can escalate a support request here for you,  but my advice at present would  be to disconnect that device and see what happens...

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Have you seen that anywhere other than in these Forums? 

Hi, thanks for getting back to me! When I desynced the “second” iPhone, it warned me that I only have two of these “de-syncs” of these extra devices (devices over my two device limit) per month and that if I used them both, I’d be unable to log back into my account. I didn’t get a screenshot of it, but if it happens again, I’ll be sure to grab screenshots.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We have posted this new limit of de-syncing with EN support staff, because it is not explained on the web site or the legal stuff to work like this.

Either they just try some new stuff without having it declared yet, or they need to update their web site.

In general, EN uses the same routines for Basic or paying users, so it is sort of weird that one device should be registered twice. It did not happen to me yet, and I had plenty of on- and de-syncing recently, because I changed my iPhone, got myself a watch and authorized a second iPhone for temporary use. All devices are there, and all of them just once, even with all the updating to iOS 13, macOS Catalina and the recent Win10-updates.

A limit of just 2 in a month would be harsh, because I do not know a way to tell the right device from its shadow. This means one has to de-sync both - which means reaching the monthly limit already, if this problem occurs.

P.S. @Shane D.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hey All,

Thanks for reaching out!

@PXT @Nordelectro2

I'm sorry to hear you're encountering this issue. 

Since the two of you are reporting the same issue, I've gone ahead and merged the threads you started into a single thread.

This is to better enable us to track the issue you've reported, and to help organize the discussion around it.

I've reached out to our teams to find out more information, and I will follow-up with you as soon as I know more.

Feel free to reach out to me directly via DM if you have any questions in the meantime.

• Thanks 1

@Shane D.I am having the exact same issue. For the past couple of months my iPhone has been counted twice, once as just "iPhone" and then again as my phone with my name. It's frustrating to say the least and I really need it to stop doing this as soon as possible please!

@Shane D. Facing the same issue .

I recently switched to new iPhone (from older iPhone) and now I see 2 devices . 
If I try to de-sync either of the iPhone it logged me out of the current one . Which proves that my device is duplicated . 

This is really frustrating and has become a real pain with the new monthly “de-sync” limit . 

Please help me resolve this asap . 

Thanks.

331D3603-9B33-4011-B845-D40329CE2F73.png

Same challenge.  Only one iphone and showing as two.  Already tried unsyncing one iPhone and it made me sign back in.  Tried deleting and redownloading the Evernote app to my phone to no avail.  Afraid to try unsyncing again because of the unsync limit.  How do I resolve??

• Level 5

Have you checked access history ? More than 1 device ? Anything unusual about time or place ?

Background: Hackers were reported in the forum to show up with an iPhone as device, which of course is faked. Such an access consumes a device slot. This is not necessarily the cause, but it happens and merits a check.

My devices all carry names, which makes it easier to see which device is which.

On 10/15/2021 at 4:21 PM, PinkElephant said:

Have you checked access history ? More than 1 device ? Anything unusual about time or place ?

Background: Hackers were reported in the forum to show up with an iPhone as device, which of course is faked. Such an access consumes a device slot. This is not necessarily the cause, but it happens and merits a check.

My devices all carry names, which makes it easier to see which device is which.

Yes, have validated it already… 

So when I try to revoke access of either of devices, my current device itself gets logged out….   Which proves that same device is duplicated .

Is there any other way where I could post this problem and get the issue resolved more quickly? 

Same problem, since I moved to a foreign country my iPhone is counted twice and I m locked. Changing the password didn’t fix the issue. I now have to find a alternative solution after 12 years using it …

Same problem here. 

Suddenly I got the message of an additional device and my iPhone showing up twice. After unsyncing for the first time I deleted the app, reinstalled it and used my second time of free unsyncing. 

Still no success. Now I don't know what else to do...

Did you find any solutions?
...and also how to avoid that in the future?