• Level 5

Recently I had the same problem. WebClipper got stuck and wanted to update again and again, but never finished (Catalina).

Finally I decided to do a complete uninstall, restart my MBP and install fresh. I use several users on my MBP, for the install I used one with Admin power. Worked at the first try.

Since WC is a Safari extension, it can only be installed through the AppStore, no direct install allowed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am having similar issues. First I noticed that the Web Clipper icon disappeared from my Safari browser menu bar. As part of my troubleshooting, I saw there was an update to the Web Clipper in the Apple App store so I tried to update it. But like those of you above, I seemed to make the effort to update but then after the process the update button appeared again. Next I contacted Evernote support.  So now, I'm trying to uninstall Web Clipper and reinstall as the person suggested above but am having issues with that. Can someone advise how to  uninstall (so I can reinstall)? I'm getting a prompt that says I can't uninstall while parts of the extension are being used.  This happens even if I uncheck/deselect Web Clipper in the extensions section of Safari preferences (and also in the Extensions section of System Preferences.  Thanks

18 hours ago, EllenMB said:

I am having similar issues. First I noticed that the Web Clipper icon disappeared from my Safari browser menu bar. As part of my troubleshooting, I saw there was an update to the Web Clipper in the Apple App store so I tried to update it. But like those of you above, I seemed to make the effort to update but then after the process the update button appeared again. Next I contacted Evernote support.  So now, I'm trying to uninstall Web Clipper and reinstall as the person suggested above but am having issues with that. Can someone advise how to  uninstall (so I can reinstall)? I'm getting a prompt that says I can't uninstall while parts of the extension are being used.  This happens even if I uncheck/deselect Web Clipper in the extensions section of Safari preferences (and also in the Extensions section of System Preferences.  Thanks

Make sure that the Evernote Helper is closed (the elephant in the top menu bar on your Mac) as well as the Evernote application and Safari. Once you close all those try uninstalling again. I personally use CleanMyMac for uninstalling applications, but I don't think it matters. If you are deleting them by just deleting from the application folder try an uninstall after everything is closed. 

I personally haven't run into this with Evernote, but I did run into a similar situation for another application. Just making sure that everything was closed out allowed me to uninstall the clipper for that app. Might work for your issues as well.

After deleting the app to the bin, I found it almost impossible to reinstall from the Evernote site... the only solution I found was do drag the app back out of the trash bin back into application folder' and then run it from there by double clicking.  I'm having to live with the app update always wanting to update until there's a fix.  I suggest if your clipper is still in applications, you run it from there.

19 minutes ago, paulmj21 said:

After deleting the app to the bin, I found it almost impossible to reinstall from the Evernote site... the only solution I found was do drag the app back out of the trash bin back into application folder' and then run it from there by double clicking.  I'm having to live with the app update always wanting to update until there's a fix.  I suggest if your clipper is still in applications, you run it from there.

It’s no longer on the website. It should be installed from the App Store. The constant update thing may be remedied with a full system restart. The problem is coming from the Apple App Store in regard to the update loop.