Automatically putting all notes tagged "x" into a particular notebook?

dberreby

I don't use notebooks to organize my Evernote notes, since a fair number of notes apply to more than one subject and I don't like thinking about how to file a note as I am clipping it or writing it. Instead, I tag everything.

However, some integrations depend on notebooks (for example, "Import Notes from Evernote" in Devonthink wants to know what Notebook to import). So I'd like to have note that has a given tag placed automatically into an "Export to DT" notebook.

I see it's possible to do this in the other direction -- to automatically tag a note if it is put into a particular notebook. I want to reverse that -- tagging first and counting on EN to put the note in a designated notebook. Is this possible?

David

PS I realize I could just create an auto-tagging notebook for this one tag, but that isn't what I want to do. It would create an exception to how I work with notes and thus cause extra effort and trouble.

• Level 5*

You didn't say which Evernote application you are using, but in the Windows native application, it's easy, since you can do a number of operations on a selected set of notes: apply or remove a tag, move to different notebook, merge, etc....

Edit: but I don't know of any way to do this automatically.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, dberreby said:

I see it's possible to do this in the other direction -- to automatically tag a note if it is put into a particular notebook.

I'm not aware of any auto tag/notebook feature offered by Evernote.

My work-around is scripting on a Mac.   
Auto tag/notebook Is also a feature of third party Filterize

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I do not know a integrated tool in EN That would do this job.

But it can be done half automatic, half manually especially on the Windows client:

• Define an import folder with the Windows explorer, and define it as import folder in EN
  • Every file you put into that folder will be imported as a new note into the defined notebook
  • Then, before sending the notes into their final notebook, you can manually tag them by selecting them and add the same tag to the whole group of notes.

• Level 5*

I appreciate we're straying away from the actual question,  but Import Folders could be an option in Windows.  It's possible to have multiple import folders linked to different notebooks.  I don't know if there is a limit (other than the total number of available notebooks) but at one stage I had about 6 linked folders.  I also scan to a single folder so I can edit the content and titles of scans appropriately and batch OCR the folder on completion.  When I have finished that process at one stage I moved the files to another 'watched' folder that was processed by the appropriately named DropIt! (https://sourceforge.net/projects/dropit/) which could take my mixed bag of files and drop them into the right Import Folder to be added to my correct notebook.

These days I use the much simpler Filterize which recognises notes by tag, title or content and can move them to other notebooks and re-title / re-tag as required.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:42 PM, DTLow said:

I'm not aware of any auto tag/notebook feature offered by Evernote.

My work-around is scripting on a Mac.   
Auto tag/notebook Is also a feature of third party Filterize

+1 for Filterize, been using it for a few months and it is providing a lot of automation such as auto tagging, auto moving notes to specified notebooks, its the auto updating Table of Contents that is proving essential for my productivity

These types of automation would be so useful if in-bedded within Evernote, Trello have just brought in Butler, its automating service, dont get left behind on this Evernote...know you are busy

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Ever-ona-beach said:

These types of automation would be so useful if in-bedded within Evernote, Trello have just brought in Butler, its automating service, dont get left behind on this Evernote...know you are busy

I don't know that Evernote has the resources to support this "automating service"   
I'm satisfied to let them focus on their core product, and appreciate they provide the APIs that allow third parties to fill the gap.

For the DIY users, we have access to the same APIs.    
I make use of scripting with Applescript on a Mac

• 4 months later...
On 11/8/2019 at 4:56 PM, gazumped said:

I appreciate we're straying away from the actual question,  but Import Folders could be an option in Windows.  It's possible to have multiple import folders linked to different notebooks.  I don't know if there is a limit (other than the total number of available notebooks) but at one stage I had about 6 linked folders.  I also scan to a single folder so I can edit the content and titles of scans appropriately and batch OCR the folder on completion.  When I have finished that process at one stage I moved the files to another 'watched' folder that was processed by the appropriately named DropIt! (https://sourceforge.net/projects/dropit/) which could take my mixed bag of files and drop them into the right Import Folder to be added to my correct notebook.

These days I use the much simpler Filterize which recognises notes by tag, title or content and can move them to other notebooks and re-title / re-tag as required.

please would you give me some examples for working with dropit in the context of evernote?

thank you.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, aandy said:

please would you give me some examples for working with dropit in the context of evernote?

Not sure what you're looking for here - if (for instance) I have a folder full of scans that I've titled with some showing "One",  others showing "Two" and still yet others showing "Three",  I can dump that folder of files into DropIt and it will send all the "One" files to a specific folder;  all the "Two" files to another... etc.  If the One, Two and other folders are Import Folders connected to specific notebooks,  then the notes will be imported accordingly.

13 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Not sure what you're looking for here - if (for instance) I have a folder full of scans that I've titled with some showing "One",  others showing "Two" and still yet others showing "Three",  I can dump that folder of files into DropIt and it will send all the "One" files to a specific folder;  all the "Two" files to another... etc.  If the One, Two and other folders are Import Folders connected to specific notebooks,  then the notes will be imported accordingly.

Thank you, for the answer. I am working with the ENScript. This makes it more complicated...
But thank you.

• Level 5

About the initial question:

- search for tag „X“. Result: All notes with that tag in search result

- select all, move / copy them to a new notebook, created for sharing or whatever

On a Mac, this could be automated with something like Automator. On Windows I think there is no Tool in the Box.