Keyboard shortcuts for navigation

tigbond

Idea

When using Microsoft Word or Google Docs, I frequently use the shortcut to jump to the beginning or end of the line. It's either the "End" key or "⌘+Right Arrow". In Evernote, the "End" key jumps to the very end (last line) of your note and "⌘+Right Arrow" just jumps to the next word. Some people reading this will tell me to stop using Evernote, but that doesn't help. My suggestion is for Evernote to be consistent with the shortcuts of other apps. There is no reason to be different in basic functionality - you already have a differentiated and popular app.

Update: After typing this post I just went back to my note in Evernote and just attempted a basic function: Highlighting an entire line with the keyboard. I can't do it! "Shift+Home" selects the entire note up to the top and "Shift+⌘+Left Arrow" also doesn't highlight the line. This is pretty basic stuff!

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, tigbond said:

My suggestion is for Evernote to be consistent with the shortcuts of other apps.

I can't remember all the Mac shortcuts; here's a reference  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

>>In Evernote, ... "⌘+Right Arrow" just jumps to the next word ... and "Shift+⌘+Left Arrow" also doesn't highlight the line

On my Evernote/Mac, I get  

• Command–Left Arrow: Move the insertion point to the beginning of the current line.
  • Command–Right Arrow: Move the insertion point to the end of the current line.
  • Shift–Command–Left Arrow: Select the text between the insertion point and the beginning of the current line.
  • Shift–Command–Right Arrow: Select the text between the insertion point and the end of the current line.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:29 AM, DTLow said:

On my Evernote/Mac, I get  

• Command–Left Arrow: Move the insertion point to the beginning of the current line.
  • Command–Right Arrow: Move the insertion point to the end of the current line.
  • Shift–Command–Left Arrow: Select the text between the insertion point and the beginning of the current line.
  • Shift–Command–Right Arrow: Select the text between the insertion point and the end of the current line.

There must have been a bug when I was using it last week. I just logged in and Command-Arrow is now working as intended!

This is actually still an issue in 2022.  It happens when you have a bullet list and you've got a bullet with no text after it.  if you command-*****-left to select the bullet (for deletion) it selects the entire note above that bullet.  it's really unsettling if you quickly hit the delete key because then you blow away your entire note.   It would be so much better if when the cursor is to the right of an empty bullet, the usage of command-shift-left only selected the bullet so that you could immediately delete it and collapse your bullet list by one line.