annotate feature on pdf's

Hi, I'm starting to use the annotate feature on pdfs and have some questions, can you please help?

1. Is there any way to search/filter through all of my annotations? (Kind of like how when you search for a term on a website it lets you jump from one to the next, but letting me jump between all my annotations in the pdf)?

2. The annotation summary seems to do this fairly well but it seems to cut off after a certain amount of annotations. I just annotated a 30 page pdf and its only showing the first twenty pages of annotations in the summary. Is there any way to make it show all the annotations in the summary?

3. If evernote doesn't allow this kind of functionality, are there any other tools/apps that do it better? I just tried apple notes as well and it seems like evernote works better for this but am open to any suggestions.

I'm using evernote desktop app on mac Version 7.13 (458081 App Store) and MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. Also using ios app. 

Thanks,
Dan

• Level 5

The first 2 questions sound interesting, but I have no clue.

About question 3: I personally use GoodNotes 5 to make annotations by Apple pencil into pdfs. It is easy to import a pdf into GN5, and I like the handwriting tools that come with it.

For more formal annotations or real edits I use PDF Expert from readdle on my iPad to edit pdf documents. This is available for the Mac as well, but it is much more expensive for the Mac than for iOS. So if I want to edit a pdf, I export it from the Mac to my iPad, do the job there and send it back to the Mac. Because of the handover between Mac and iPad this works nearly seamlessly.

Now you know why I have no clue regarding the first 2 questions ...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On 11/3/2019 at 4:39 PM, DTLow said:

I use the Notability app for pdf annotation; on an iPad with an Apple Pencil

On 11/3/2019 at 3:29 PM, PinkElephant said:

I personally use GoodNotes 5 to make annotations by Apple pencil into pdfs. It is easy to import a pdf into GN5, and I like the handwriting tools that come with it.

For more formal annotations or real edits I use PDF Expert from readdle on my iPad to edit pdf documents

Thank you both! Do these tools allow you to  search/filter through all annotations easily like I described in the first two questions?

Also (if so), is it easy to save the annotated pdf in evernote and still be able to search/filter through annotations that i made in the app while viewing the pdf in evernote? Or would I have to view the annotated pdf in those apps for that feature? I would prefer to keep all of my annotated pdf's in evernote to keep them easy to read/organize if possible.

• Level 5*
On 11/3/2019 at 10:27 AM, danklim said:

1. Is there any way to search/filter through all of my annotations?

Evernote's search feature includes pdf annotations

>> (Kind of like how when you search for a term on a website it lets you jump from one to the next, but letting me jump between all my annotations in the pdf)?

This isn't "jump from one to the next".  The notes are identified and the search text is highlighted
You could open the pdf in a dedicated pdf app for extended features

• Like 1

Thanks. Do you know if any of the pdf apps have this kind of extended feature for jumping to the next annotations?

On 11/12/2019 at 10:53 AM, DTLow said:

You could open the pdf in a dedicated pdf app for extended features

• 1 month later...

As far as searching through the annotations rather than the whole pdf,

Adobe Acrobat lets you get a summary of both typed coments AND the text that you highlight in a pdf and plug that summary into the pdf or export it. You might then be able to restrict a search within evernote to that summary, perhaps if you put summaries into separate notes or something like that.