Search failing to find notes on classic web client

The default "your notebooks" search with the classic web client hasn't worked for me since yesterday afternoon or earlier.  Single-word searches are missing a bunch of notes which contain that word--even in the note title in some cases.  If I use the same search keyword in the Windows native client or the Android client, I get all the results.  I also briefly tried upgrading to the "new web client".  Search works for me there, but that is still missing reminders and many other features that I need.  My main computers run Linux, so the web client is my only real option for those.  I tried in Edge (on Windows), Chrome (Linux), and Firefox (Linux). The same notes were missing from search results in each case.

Has anyone else been seeing this problem?  I did find this similar recent report, but that person was able to "resolve" it by switching to the unfinished beta version which is insufficient for many of us. I have a premium plan so I think I can submit support tickets, but I wanted to check here first.

Thanks for your help!

When I do a default Evernote search, it says "searching in your notebooks", but I can click on "your notebooks" to select individual notebooks instead when desired.  Even when I select the notebook containing the notes in question, the search function fails to find them (tried again today).  Yet the same one-word searches work fine on Windows client, Android client, and the beta web client.  It's like the search index is broken somehow and needs to be regenerated.  It is always the same notes found and the same ones missing when I repeat my Evernote classic web client searches.  I've been using Evernote in this way for many years and this just started happening :(.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I'd suggest raising this as a support query - there are probably differences in the way that Evernote searches between various devices,  but the basic index should be the same.  Don't know how you'd refresh the index for online searches - you'd think that would be the most effective search since the full database is stored on a server online...

There are tools to rebuild Evernote's search index,  but I assume they're referring to the downloaded index on a desktop computer.

Hi.
I have similer issue in evernote web(classic version) for a couple of days.

In my case, the search results are not displayed
when "View Options" is "Title (ascending)" or "Title (descending)".
In the other options or in the other web version, they are displayed.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @bontame, that worked for me!  I guess search is only broken with certain sort orders.  I changed "title (ascending)" to "date updated (newest first)" and now I'm getting full search results!  For example, I search for "entit" (it's a company name) in one of my notebooks and under my normal title (ascending) sort it says 'No notes found for "entit"'.  Then I click options and change the sort order from "title (ascending)" to date updated and retry the search--and it immediately finds all 6 notes referencing that company!

This is definitely a new bug since I've been using the alphabetical title sort for years and just started having this problem a few days ago. I hope Evernote will address it soon!  Even just a response from Evernote acknowledging the problem and that they're working on it would be nice.

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees

@Flash G Thank you for reporting this. I have filed a ticket for it. However, the team is 100% focused on the new web client and we are only making critical bug fixes in existing web clients. It's possible that this issue isn't client specific, though I'm unable to reproduce in the latest web client. I understand you are hesitant to use the latest version of the web client because it's still missing some features, but we're actively working to implement them and reach feature parity. That's our #1 goal.

• Ex Employees

And a follow-up. Reached out to the search team and they're looking into this in relation to another ticket I filed regarding errors we've been seeing since Friday, which seems to line up with when this issue started. It looks like changes they are making for our new search features may have broken specific functionality (i.e. sort orders) in older clients' search implementations. Hopefully it will be addressed soon. I'll keep an eye on the two tickets and let you know if I get an update.

Thanks for the response, @Scott T. I hope they are able to fix this soon because broken search is a huge inconvenience.  They should revert their changes from last Friday until they figure out the problem and release a fixed version.  The beta web client is promising for the future, but it's not a current option for many of us since it lacks so many basic features we depend on in the current client.

• 10 months later...