Have Rubber Duck, Will Travel...

• Level 5*

If you're going to post a question in the forums,  various users (including me) will have a go at 'helping',  though our observations are sometimes necessarily vague because the questions aren't that specific about which OS / what version of Evernote the issue is about. 

There's an official post somewhere about how to raise a query (and for subscribers to request Evernote support),  but the problem obviously applies to most forums and help teams - and I found quite a good general (and funny) post about that in LifeHacker.  https://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2019/10/18/solve-your-own-problems-with-the-rubber-duck-trick

I might try this out.  I do own rubber duck...  

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
40 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If you're going to post a question in the forums,  various users (including me) will have a go at 'helping',  though our observations are sometimes necessarily vague because the questions aren't that specific about which OS / what version of Evernote the issue is about. 

There's an official post somewhere about how to raise a query (and for subscribers to request Evernote support),  but the problem obviously applies to most forums and help teams - and I found quite a good general (and funny) post about that in LifeHacker.  https://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2019/10/18/solve-your-own-problems-with-the-rubber-duck-trick

Hey Gaz, new business card for you.

Haveguncard.png.65dce308c6373bb7d411107d0ef13906.png

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*

I understand the effect very well, but "rubber duck debugging" has never been au corant in any organization I've worked for in the 35+ years I've been in the software biz, despite the author's claim to its widespread use (oh, hey, it's Lifehacker, so never mind. "Because coders are weirdos, they have a tradition of asking a rubber duck." Really?? No. There is no such tradition.). I was aware of the term via Jeff Atwood's blog (and he's a hero, for StackOverflow, if for nothing else), but never used it.

All of that being said, I've experienced countless number of times situations where a co-worker calls me over with a problem, they start explaining while I'm still thinking about whatever it is I'm working on, so not really paying attention, and then all of a sudden they go "Oh, I see where I screwed up. I'm an idiot. Thanks a lot for your help!", and I just smile and answer "No problem. Really." and go back to my own problems.

But I think that the real crux here is trying to verbalize the problem to a person (or as if to a person), rather than firing off a note/forum post etc without thinking about context or having done some basic research. Good idea, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

So maybe a standard, or at least frequent, response from us inveterate question-answerers here ought to be "Please read your post out loud, then respond if you still have a question--or have a better question." I definitely think that some of the more rant-like posts could have benefited from being read aloud while looking in a mirror before being posted.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, gazumped said:

I used to talk to my dog (golden retriever).  She'd always give me a look that said it's the most intelligent thing she ever heard

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*
55 minutes ago, jefito said:

All of that being said, I've experienced countless number of times situations where a co-worker calls me over with a problem, they start explaining while I'm still thinking about whatever it is I'm working on, so not really paying attention, and then all of a sudden they go "Oh, I see where I screwed up. I'm an idiot. Thanks a lot for your help!", and I just smile and answer "No problem. Really." and go back to my own problems.

A rubber duck by any other name....  😉

• Haha 1
  • Level 5
8 minutes ago, jefito said:

I can assure you that not once have I ever quacked -- or squeaked -- in response to a valued colleague.

How about to an intern? ;)

47 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I used to talk to my dog (golden retriever).  She'd always give me a look that said it's the most intelligent thing she ever heard

One of my favorite bumper stickers: "Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*

I kinda use the RD principle - sometimes when I'm writing to report an issue,  and adding all the details, and there's an "....oh fudge" moment when I realise what I did wrong... 

I'm a bit reluctant to talk to the duck to be honest...  he can be a bit moody...

20191024_172057_edited_small.thumb.jpg.005c66fe787a23a567916e49e6ae74ba.jpg

• Level 5*

Squeezy I have on my desktop that my daughter gave me for those .... moments.  Though I'm with you Gaz, when the light hits the eyes just right, I'm just not sure.

IMG_0010.thumb.JPG.0885a5ceadb41c41fead2bb3da824d70.JPG

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

While interns are also valued colleagues, we are allowed to bark at them as well.

Okay, last bit of silliness for me.  Based upon previous posts in other threads seems appropriate.  Their reviews aren't the best or the worst, but if you are ever in NC.

26883fdb03e3416cbf81aa7c77bc54fa_400x400.png.cfdb267134db7774f971a626f7d3c115.png

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, CalS said:

Okay, last bit of silliness for me.  Based upon previous posts in other threads seems appropriate.  Their reviews aren't the best or the worst, but if you are ever in NC.

Ha-ha. 

Unfortunately the web says that this brewery is closed.

I do make it to Durham NC, usually once a year,  In those parts, I'd recommend Fullsteam (disclaimer: family connection).. No ducks, though... 

• Like 1