F7 not working (spell check)

I might be a little late to the spell check discussion party, but I just noticed F7 doesn't work at all, in spite of being mentioned in the help page as calling the spell checker.  Yes, I am aware a different help page says the following:

"There's no spell check feature built into Evernote for Windows. However, you can right-click a word to see spelling correction suggestions based on your operating system's capabilities."

However, I was trying to see if I could disable automatic spell checking and just use F7 as needed.  I guess something that obvious is not possible, huh.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

A little late, yes. 😁 The F7 spell checker was killed in v. 6.8, almost two years ago. A full and fully outraged discussion here:

There may be others as well. This was part of the Chromium "update"=downgrade fiasco that the Evernote Windows editor is still recovering from. In that thread, a couple of then-current EN employees did chime in. From @Austin G, in this post:

Evernote for Windows 6.8 release included several necessary updates to the app. These updates caused some the existing features in our client to no longer work, including some of the spell check features. Given the available workarounds, the decision was made to release 6.8 without all of the old spell check features. Please know we're still investigating ways to bring back all of the old spell check features in a future version. I will post an update here once I have more information on that. 

And from @dconnet/@dcon, in this post:

Yes. We upgraded from CEFv1 to CEFv3. It was painful - the programming model is completely different. (it's also why you see more Evernote processes in task manager)

But as we know, there has been no visible progress, and no updated information, about this worse-than-regrettable situation. As I understand it, this was a programming environment change that the Evernote developers simply had to adapt to, so not their initiative, although not handled or communicated particularly well by them. Now that they are working on a common editor for all platforms, perhaps they will be able to avoid some of the pulling-out-the-rug messes that each individual platform's developers inflict on the rest of the world.

• Thanks 2

Thanks, I knew there was a storm brewing, but at the time I was under the impression it was simply one of a gazillion bugs that would eventually be fixed, so I did not pay that much attention since we had bigger, data loss type problems (that's what I get for using beta versions).

Just a thought: a common editor (as part of a common code base) might have a significant downside...if an existing feature can't be made to work across all/most platforms, it is more likely to be dropped! The real problem is a development process that seems too isolated from customer feedback, and paradoxically, too connected to it. What I mean by this is, over the years I've seen some many half-assed hacks that deliver a requested feature but cause huge problems because they break the underlying programming model. For example, "why can't the editor be smarter and just do X" well X has to be defined for every possible scenario, and not cause problems or undefined outcomes when doing Y, Z, etc.

X could be: double tap on a word with quotation marks -> editor selects word including quotation marks. Seems smart and conventient. But what happens if you don't want the quotation marks? You have to carefully alter your selection without accidentally un-selecting it (a challenge on mobile -- iOS a bit better at this than Android), a situation you find yourself in only because the editor tried to be smart and 'help' you without weighing it against all the ways the smart feature hurts you when it is too inflexible, etc.

I hope that makes sense....for an example of how to do editors RIGHT, see https://www.notion.so

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Just a thought: a common editor (as part of a common code base) might have a significant downside...if an existing feature can't be made to work across all/most platforms, it is more likely to be dropped!

Yep, I'm waiting for the day they announce
- dropping Applescript (Macs)
  dropping EnScript (Windows)
- dropping the export feature (Window/Macs)
- ................. (does Android have mouse support?)

Liberté, égalité, fraternité

• Level 5
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Yep, I'm waiting for the day they announce
- dropping Applescript (Macs)
- dropping the export feature (Window/Macs)
- ................. (does Android have mouse support?)

Liberté, égalité, fraternité

Hang on a bit. @John in Michigan USA said:

3 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Just a thought: a common editor (as part of a common code base) might have a significant downside...if an existing feature can't be made to work across all/most platforms, it is more likely to be dropped!

I've highlighted the word "editor"--a common editor is what they're working on. But exporting isn't inherently part of the editor in the Windows or Mac version, is it? I'm not sure about scripting either; EnScript (I think) runs outside the editor. Likewise mouses ... mice ... meece ... you know, those lumpy input devices ... anyway, they work all over the interface, not just in the editor. A little paranoia is exciting, but let's not let it run away with us, eh?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm not sure why they'd do that, and indeed, they  relatively recently -- as far as I can tell -- added some new commands to ENScript. Nothing earthshaking, at least for my usage, but still. The new commands:

version         - display version information
listDatabases   - lists all local databases to standard output
exportDatabase  - exports all notebooks into a folder
deleteDatabases - deletes the data directory

3 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Let's be careful and make sure we're not conflating the common editor with a common UI. The various existing device dependent Evernote UIs encompass more than just the note editing piece of things, which is what the common editor thrust seems to be. Aside from that, sure, there's impetus to provide common functionality across all Evernote platforms (e.g. nested tag hierarchy, which is a part of the recent CEO videos), and that's laudable, but taking away things that work fine on particular platforms (e.g. desktop) just because they don't work on others would be pretty short-sighted, and I'm doubting that that's going to happen any time soon. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@jefito, looks like we hit on the same point at the same moment. Great minds and all that....

My wife and I have a meme for that; goes something like this: "Two great minds with but a single thought. Honey, can I borrow the thought for a little bit now?"

Yes, we're easily amused...

• Like 1