Certain characters not imported correctly

jfeldredge@gmail.com

Idea

I recently imported a large batch of recipes that had been saved as text files. I found that Evernote does not correctly import accented characters or characters that represent common fractions. For example, purée is imported as purée, and ½ is imported as Â½. Degree signs also cause errors; 350° is imported as 350°. Some fractional characters, such as ⅓, are completely mangled and unreadable. This is probably due to Evernote only accepting ASCII characters, not Unicode characters as most modern applications do. Apparently, there is no way for someone with an Evernote Basic account to submit a bug by email, only by posting in this forum.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, jfeldredge@gmail.com said:

As a Basic user, I can't submit a ticket with a bug report.

All users can post to  Twitter @evernotehelps   

• Level 5
On 10/19/2019 at 8:07 PM, jfeldredge@gmail.com said:

I recently imported a large batch of recipes that had been saved as text files. I found that Evernote does not correctly import accented characters or characters that represent common fractions. For example, purée is imported as purée, and ½ is imported as Â½. Degree signs also cause errors; 350° is imported as 350°. Some fractional characters, such as ⅓, are completely mangled and unreadable. This is probably due to Evernote only accepting ASCII characters, not Unicode characters as most modern applications do. Apparently, there is no way for someone with an Evernote Basic account to submit a bug by email, only by posting in this forum.

Some clarification would help. When you say "imported," what do you mean? Did you add the files as attachments to Evernote notes? Or did you copy and paste? When you pasted, did you use Ctrl+V or Ctrl+Shift+V (Paste and Match Style)? When you say "saved as text files," do you mean as plain-text (*.txt) files such as Notepad creates, or as Rich Text Format (*.rtf) files such as WordPad creates? I just pasted the (meaningless) sentence "Purée ½ at 350º." copied from an RTF file into an Evernote note with no problem.

It would also help to know what platform you're using: Windows, Mac, Web interface, etc.

• Level 5*

Are you sure about how your original recipes text files were encoded? I created a new UTF-8/BOM text file in Notepad++, and copied your first post here into it, andadded some carriage returns for spacing. Then I saved it into an Evernote import folder on a Windows machine, and all of the special characters came through fine:

image.png.3288a1629e0e07637886a25097e7a53f.png
Seems fine to me.